Cafeholics Challenge 2009 - Filled - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cafeholics Challenge 2009 - Filled

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:39 pm

still interested if you need an extra.
Image
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3412
(Past Year: 67)
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Don't call it a comeback.

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby J35J » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:16 pm

We are currently filled up guys.
A Fleshner Fantasy and jlm are the 2 we're going with this year.


A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
J35J wrote:
wkelly91 wrote:What constitutes a move? Activating a DL player? Trading a player? Or just picking up a player? :-?


Just FA and WW moves.


And trades, I believe.

Also, J35J, what server will we be using? I would much prefer to use either sportsline or yahoo than anything else if possible. My preference between those 2 would be sportsline, but if it could be one of those two, I would really appreciate it.


Trades don't count in the max moves. Its just pickups via FA or WW.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby The Cow » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:1. i think most of us play fantasy baseball (sports) because we like simulating what it would be like to run our own teams and having a max moves doesnt translate well for me. if there's a problem, i want to fix it asap, and not think well hmmm i might want to make a move 3 weeks from now, so ill hold off.

How many real MLB teams immediately go out and fix whatever problems may arise asap without having to weigh and consider how it will impact the near (and distant) future of the team? I'm sure there are quite a few teams each season that have an injury and would like to call someone up right away to replace them, but don't want to start their clock, so they call someone else or fill with a bench player. It's fine if you like to be able to have unlimited moves so you can immediately fix issues and drop and add as many players as you like until you find someone who works out, but let's not pretend that's closer to real baseball than being required to consider and think about all your moves in depth before making them.


If real teams had the type of players that are on most fantasy waiver wires on the MLB waiver wire or as street FAs. I guarantee you MLB teams would make more moves. Instead of putting artificial caps on the number of moves, simply expand the league to say 20 teams and guess what? Fantasy players in a 20 teamer will make fewer moves simply because as in real baseball, the street FAs are not nearly as enticing. Fantasy players in a 12 teamer will make more moves because the waiver wire talent dictates they should make a move.

Stop putting artificial limits on the number of moves a team can make and man up and make the league a 20 teamer without an artificial move limit.

Once again I agree with Snakes last post, just had to say that because even I am amazed.

Man Up,
The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby The Cow » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:58 pm

Typically I play in 2 leagues a year, not 5 or 10. 2 is plenty, that way the players I draft seem more like my players. This league format is fine for owners that are either not very active or are in 5+ leagues. I enjoy rolling with the hot bat, trying to predict who the hot bat or arm will be etc..., can't do that in weekly move leagues or leagues with move limits. Typically I end up with 70-100 moves per season. So basically I would have to cut my activity in half, YAWN. I played in a league with move limits last year, what a boring league that was, you could tell that league was everyone's "B" league. Not interested in "B" leagues.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:59 pm

Another way to limit moves is to have a deep bench. In my experience, the deeper the bench and the DL, the less moves you make.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Yeah but there are other things wrong with 20-teamers or leagues with deep benches, like at a certain point in the draft around the 16th round (or 28th or so for deep-bench leagues), players often become a complete gamble, and you could end up with a Ryan Ludwick completely by chance. Injuries in the first two rounds could destroy a team. And on a more personal note, I can't stand a league where Juan Pierre is more than likely going to be owned.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:13 pm

It's ok that you're scared Cow, we get it. Old school roto is a scary thing indeed. You don't have to attempt to rationalize it.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13716
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:14 pm

The Cow wrote:Typically I play in 2 leagues a year, not 5 or 10. 2 is plenty, that way the players I draft seem more like my players. This league format is fine for owners that are either not very active or are in 5+ leagues. I enjoy rolling with the hot bat, trying to predict who the hot bat or arm will be etc..., can't do that in weekly move leagues or leagues with move limits. Typically I end up with 70-100 moves per season. So basically I would have to cut my activity in half, YAWN. I played in a league with move limits last year, what a boring league that was, you could tell that league was everyone's "B" league. Not interested in "B" leagues.

The Cow


I tend to be one of the more active members of my leagues, but even so, I like to have a cap on moves, because it simply requires more skill. Any trained donkey can pick up Jack Cust after he has hit 4 HR in 3 games, but to be willing to commit a move to him in a league like this will make you think twice before stealing a good week every time a player gets hot. Also, it requires a lot more research. You have to know if it's worth picking up Kershaw or if he's just going to get sent down again in a couple weeks.
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3542
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby The Cow » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:30 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
The Cow wrote:Typically I play in 2 leagues a year, not 5 or 10. 2 is plenty, that way the players I draft seem more like my players. This league format is fine for owners that are either not very active or are in 5+ leagues. I enjoy rolling with the hot bat, trying to predict who the hot bat or arm will be etc..., can't do that in weekly move leagues or leagues with move limits. Typically I end up with 70-100 moves per season. So basically I would have to cut my activity in half, YAWN. I played in a league with move limits last year, what a boring league that was, you could tell that league was everyone's "B" league. Not interested in "B" leagues.

The Cow


I tend to be one of the more active members of my leagues, but even so, I like to have a cap on moves, because it simply requires more skill. Any trained donkey can pick up Jack Cust after he has hit 4 HR in 3 games, but to be willing to commit a move to him in a league like this will make you think twice before stealing a good week every time a player gets hot. Also, it requires a lot more research. You have to know if it's worth picking up Kershaw or if he's just going to get sent down again in a couple weeks.


I disagree on the more research part. One can do a lot of research in a no limit league. Often in move limit leagues teams save their moves until the end and then go crazy with moves. Or in limit move leagues teams simply go through the motions. Because there is very little pressure to pick up a Ludwick because nobody will pick him up because they are squirrelling away their moves. In a no limit league a Ludwick will get picked up very quick and teams have to make a tougher decision because you do not have a week to make a decision. In no limit I find myself often making more tough cuts as I call them. Players I would rather hold onto, but I feel that cutting them for player X say Ludwick is worth it. No limit = more tough decisions or tough cuts. Limit = more sandwiches and beer.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:32 pm

The Cow wrote:. No limit = more tough decisions or tough cuts. Limit = more sandwiches and beer.

The Cow


I'm in favor of limited moves.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact