Cafeholics Challenge 2009 - Filled - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cafeholics Challenge 2009 - Filled

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cafeholics Challenge 2009

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:47 pm

I just went and checked....in my 5 x 5 league with $100 FA money I had 47 moves last year...
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:36 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:1. i think most of us play fantasy baseball (sports) because we like simulating what it would be like to run our own teams and having a max moves doesnt translate well for me. if there's a problem, i want to fix it asap, and not think well hmmm i might want to make a move 3 weeks from now, so ill hold off.

How many real MLB teams immediately go out and fix whatever problems may arise asap without having to weigh and consider how it will impact the near (and distant) future of the team? I'm sure there are quite a few teams each season that have an injury and would like to call someone up right away to replace them, but don't want to start their clock, so they call someone else or fill with a bench player. It's fine if you like to be able to have unlimited moves so you can immediately fix issues and drop and add as many players as you like until you find someone who works out, but let's not pretend that's closer to real baseball than being required to consider and think about all your moves in depth before making them.

This is exactly right. Restrictions make it a more competitive league: cost per transaction or weekly moves based on waiver position or whatever.

It is more fun this way than picking up whoever is hot this week every time you get a chance. You can do this in money leagues but it will cost you and there is no guarantee for a payoff.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Yep. No limits means it just becomes a race to go grab the next guy mentioned in the cafe forums. If you have limits then you actually have to think about a transaction before you make it. Alot of reasons why I like max moves, its not just to prevent pitcher streaming.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:07 pm

The Cow wrote:
J35J wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Will the league be 14 teams and roto, like it appears it was last year? :-?

Yes 14 team 5x5 roto
C, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, DL, DL, DL, DL, DL - No Bench
Weekly Lineup changes
50 max moves

I can't stand max move leagues. I thank you for the invite J35J, but 50 max moves = no fun for me. Weekly lineup changes, once again no fun. This just is not my kind of league. This is a draft heavy league, since only 50 moves and weekly changes really hampers a team. I am going to pass on this league, once again thanks for the invite. Just not the kind of league I enjoy.

Thanks,
The Cow

You guys should have chosen me. I'm capable of winning any format quite easily. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:21 pm

J35J wrote:
wkelly91 wrote:What constitutes a move? Activating a DL player? Trading a player? Or just picking up a player? :-?

Just FA and WW moves.

And trades, I believe.

Also, J35J, what server will we be using? I would much prefer to use either sportsline or yahoo than anything else if possible. My preference between those 2 would be sportsline, but if it could be one of those two, I would really appreciate it.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:28 pm

Cow are you serious? You talk a big game but you have nothing to back it up with. Maybe you should change your avatar to this kid...

J35J I love new formats. In fact I like to try a new format every year. I think the best part about fantasy baseball is it offers so much flexibility. If you guys are still looking for a replacement for the chicken (I mean the cow) I'd definitely be in ;-D
Last edited by jake_harv88 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:35 pm

Mama had a chicken,
Mama had a cow,
Dad was proud,
He didn't care how.
Cow.
Chicken.
Cow and Chicken!

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:Cow are you serious? You talk a big game but you have nothing to back it up with. Maybe you should change your avatar to this kid...

J35J I love new formats. In fact I like to try a new format every year. I think the best part about fantasy baseball is it offers so much flexibility. If you guys are still looking for a replacement for the chicken (I mean the cow) I'd definitely be in ;-D

For whatever it's worth, I was in a league with Jake last year, and IMO he would definitely be a good person to have in this league...even if he did steal markakis from me

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:57 pm

J35J wrote:I get sick of the continual drops and adds by people who have no real idea of who they are adding and dropping and then all of a sudden they get LUCKY.

Yeah, this is what bothers me a lot about that kind of stuff. This guy in my league admitted to not having heard of Ryan Ludwick until the day he picked him up, while I was debating for days whether to sacrifice my worst pitcher at the time (Chris Young SD) since I had no infield to spare and 5 quality OFs. That guy wound up having *checks* oh god. 166 moves. %-6

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:21 pm

Last year in this league, I forgot about the move limit altogether. I was up to 30 something in the first few months, and then someone finally reminded me. I used my 50th move just before the end of the season. I was lucky to place above both noobs considering that, and how anemic my offense turned out to be. And my pitching sucked too. :-b
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers