Rick Porcello - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Rick Porcello

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rick Porcello

Postby Diamond Miners » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Does anybody know anything about Rick Porcello's contract?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/o ... out-9.html

A great rumor site has Porcello listed at $1.2m for 2009. Personally, I think he's more of a September callup for 2009 and a chance to make the rotation in 2010. Though I'd really like to see him pulled up middle of summer. Although with a rotation at the start of the year consisting of:
SP - Justin Verlander - $500K+
SP - Jeremy Bonderman - $12.5MM
SP - Armando Galarraga - $400K
SP - Zach Miner - $410K
SP - Nate Robertson - $7MM

But I have him on my minor league roster (1 of 7) and we keep 2 minor leaguers so I have a few decisions to make.
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rick Porcello

Postby J35J » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:39 am

I'd be suprised if he sniffed any time at all next year. He's still plenty young and has quite a bit of stuff to work on yet.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Noggy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:34 pm

J35J, you have to keep in mind that Porcello signed a major league contract. He may be young, but he'll also be out of options after the 2010 season. I know rushing a player isn't ideal, but having him potentially get knocked around in the majors without the choice of sending him back to the minors is bad for his development as well. I think he'll learn more in the next two years potentially bouncing between the majors and minors than he will just blowing away AA or AAA hitters.

I would say he'd be a September call up, but he probably would've reached his innings limit by then. So maybe he'll get the call in early-mid August. Maybe around the all star break if the Tigers really need the help.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MikeeDee » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:38 pm

From Cot's Baseball Contracts
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... rs_21.html

Rick Porcello rhp
4 years/$7.285M (2007-10), plus 2011-12 club options

signed 8/14/07 (Major League contract)
$3.58M signing bonus
07:$0.38M, 08:$1.1M, 09:$1.2M, 10:$1.025M, 11:$1.536 club option, 12:$1.344M club option

Based on the contract I wouldn't be surprised if he got called up as soon as he shows some success at the AA level. Especially if the team's either still not winning, or needs a David Price type boost.
He once hit a ball between my legs so hard that my center-fielder caught it on the fly backing up against the wall.

If Satch (Paige) and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:27 pm

If the Tigers are smart, they will keep him down in the minors all year. The only exception would be a Sept. call up for him to pitch in relief. Otherwise there is no reason at all he should sniff the majors, he's still a kid and most his age would be starting only in High A.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball