Thoughts on Carrasco? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Thoughts on Carrasco?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Carrasco?

Postby Chief Noc-A-Homa » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:49 am

What are the chances Carlos Carrasco breaks camp in the Phillies rotation? Kendrick is no gimme and will Moyer retire?
Chief Noc-A-Homa
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In a teepee near you smokin' a peace pipe and talkin' trades.

Re: Thoughts on Carrasco?

Postby labardo31 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:31 pm

I'd say the odds are decent given the reasons you've stated, but I really don't think he is anything close to a rosterable fantasy player. I live in Clearwater and have seen him pitch plenty in spring training and A ball...he's either all on or gets rocked. I imagine big leaguers will tear him apart.
Reds Night Out
labardo31
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:55 pm

For those of you watching at home, I'm predicting Carrasco becomes a staff ace. (remember I made the same prediciton on Jon Lester last year...boo ya).
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby stevethumb » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:12 pm

NL east....in that ballpark...he gets lit up like a christmas tree..stay away
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby kab21 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:52 pm

stevethumb wrote:NL east....in that ballpark...he gets lit up like a christmas tree..stay away

That's really affecting Hamels isn't it...

But I guess it depends on what you think of Carrasco as a prospect. He did improve his K rate this season to a reasonable level and gets a fair amount of ground balls which will help him in that ballpark. But I would have a hard time getting excited about him at this time, at least as excited as Havok.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby rhd » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 pm

I saw him pitch a game this year, and he impressed me. Sat at around 93-94 and hit 96. He was already ranked #54 on BA's list last year. Seems underrated to me. This is his age 21 year, so I would think they'd want him to pitch at least a while in AAA next year. Might be brought up in mid-season if he does well.
rhd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:42 pm

kab21 wrote:
stevethumb wrote:NL east....in that ballpark...he gets lit up like a christmas tree..stay away

But I guess it depends on what you think of Carrasco as a prospect. He did improve his K rate this season to a reasonable level and gets a fair amount of ground balls which will help him in that ballpark. But I would have a hard time getting excited about him at this time, at least as excited as Havok.

Not that they ended up needing it but I would have included Carrasco on the post-season roster as a RP ala Price or other SP prospects that pitched in relief during past postseasons.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby J35J » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:49 am

rhd wrote:I saw him pitch a game this year, and he impressed me. Sat at around 93-94 and hit 96. He was already ranked #54 on BA's list last year. Seems underrated to me. This is his age 21 year, so I would think they'd want him to pitch at least a while in AAA next year. Might be brought up in mid-season if he does well.

Yeah, some AAA work and a mid-season callup sounds about right to me as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby stevethumb » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:51 pm

kab21 wrote:

well i guess IF you think that hamels and carrasco are the same pitcher then the ballpark will have no effect BUT unless carrasco has truly overcome his horrendous 07 season of 46 BBs and only 49 Ks in 70 AA IP then he is an extreme risk imo
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby kab21 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:54 am

stevethumb wrote:
kab21 wrote:

well i guess IF you think that hamels and carrasco are the same pitcher then the ballpark will have no effect BUT unless carrasco has truly overcome his horrendous 07 season of 46 BBs and only 49 Ks in 70 AA IP then he is an extreme risk imo

So your prospect evaluation is based on 70 IP in AA as a 20 yr old in 2007? And conveniently ignoring the fact that he improved alot in all of the areas that you bring up this past season. He still has some improvement to do, but he's still young and the scouts seem to like his stuff (his rankings last year after lackluster results).

But I don't think he will be fantasy relevant this season. I don't think he'll be in the rotation out of spring training and I think he'll struggle similar to most rookies that are brought up. And the park doesn't help him (although he'll get a decent amount of GB's). But long-term he's definitely intriguing especially if you're in a league with farm keepers.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball