Diplomacy 2.0 (Finished) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Diplomacy 2.0 (Finished)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Diplomacy 2.0 (Finished)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm up for another game but I don't have enough experience to mod (I barely have enough experience to play without help). Can BP, ken, Wake or KC mod? Anybody else able to mod?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:34 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I'm up for another game but I don't have enough experience to mod (I barely have enough experience to play without help). Can BP, ken, Wake or KC mod? Anybody else able to mod?

I would mod had you guys not ganged up on me and kicked me out of the game so early. I didn't even have time to learn the rules. :-[

It seems you guys are really into the game, eh? Is there a website in which we can simulate the game? Punch in the orders and let the computer decide what happens?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby wake » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:09 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I'm up for another game but I don't have enough experience to mod (I barely have enough experience to play without help). Can BP, ken, Wake or KC mod? Anybody else able to mod?

I wouldn't mind modding if you guys want to start up a December game. I'd probably need Bleach to double check the results after every turn to make sure they were right though.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Diplomacy 2.0 (Spring 1903)

Postby wake » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:25 pm

bleach168 wrote:Unlike Mafia, Diplomacy is a very poor spectator sport. Unless you're actually playing, you don't know even half of what's really going on as everything is done behind the scenes through PMs. I get little tidbits here and there about what the players' motivations are, but even then, I don't have a complete picture of what's happening.

It would be super awesome if some of the players were to write up an after action report when the game is over. Let us know why you made the moves you did and what you learned. I think it would be fun to analyze afterwards with input from other players too.

To start the game, I had two offers on the table. One was with Austria/Germany to vacate the area in the center of our countries and attack Turkey/Russia/France. The other was with Turkey/Russia to attack Austria. I ended up taking the Turkey/Russia proposal and everything looked like it was going well when Austria and Germany left their borders undefended.

However, Turkey and Russia ended up betraying me a couple turns later so I was forced to crawl back to Germany and Austria on my hands and knees. We included England in our talks and agreed to a 4 country alliance in order to survive. Austria and I had a lot of early success by trading supply centers so we could disband/build units as needed (He took one of my supply centers to keep all his units, then I later took it back to build a much needed fleet). However, England really saved us by sneaking into St. Pete and Moscow.

The alliance ended up going pretty well and I'm confident our alliance would've beaten Turkey/Russia until England turned on us. I had a feeling it was coming and Germany and I actually talked about that possibility the turn before it happened, but I didn't have any choice but to put my full trust in England. All I could try to do was lobby for him in moving to the Gulf of Lyon or Moscow.

After the England betrayal though, it was a quick finish for what was left of my country.
Last edited by wake on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:39 pm

I don't think I ever had an alliance with you Wake. We worked together to beat up Austria. Truthfully I didn't know whether to trust you right from the begining b/c you told me that you had an alliance with Austria but were willing to break it to work with me and Russia. I worked with you but never said that I wouldn't attack you and never made any promises to you that I broke. The turning point in the game for me was convincing you not to take Greece. That turn Russia got a Balkan production center, I got one and convinced you to not take Greece. If you had taken Greece the entire game would have been different for me.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby wake » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:15 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't think I ever had an alliance with you Wake. We worked together to beat up Austria. Truthfully I didn't know whether to trust you right from the begining b/c you told me that you had an alliance with Austria but were willing to break it to work with me and Russia. I worked with you but never said that I wouldn't attack you and never made any promises to you that I broke. The turning point in the game for me was convincing you not to take Greece. That turn Russia got a Balkan production center, I got one and convinced you to not take Greece. If you had taken Greece the entire game would have been different for me.

I took it as an alliance between you, me, and Russia. Here was a quote from one of your PM's heading into fall 1901 (I had to delete anything before that)-

Mookie4ever wrote:I will go into Greece this turn. Of course this means that if KC goes back to Trieste with Serbia and Albania that Italy will be bounced. But next turn I will have an army in Greece and one in Bulgaria and I promise to cut his support that turn. KC will get an army in Trieste of course but he will be defending against two Italian forces and I will cut his support from both Albania and Serbia so Italy can defeat and take Trieste.

Russia will have Rumania/Budapest, Italy will have Trieste/Vienna and I will have Greece/Serbia. This plan ensures that everyone gets these territories and there is little to no chance for backstabbing.

Not getting that expected support in taking Trieste crippled me this game. Even after my 2nd alliance started turning the tide on you guys, I still didn't have any realistic chance at winning. It was just impossible for me to get more than 4 or 5 centers after I was left out to dry in Trieste.

There's no hard feelings though. You guys were in a strong position after that and you can't be friends with everyone in this game.

Though I have to admit that I did feel really bad about sticking the dagger in KC's back on the first turn. I didn't think there was any chance he'd just leave Trieste completely undefended, but he moved exactly like he said he would.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:07 am

The German/Italian/English alliance could contain Turkey, but in the long run we wouldn't be able to stop him. I wanted to make a move before another country broke the alliance instead, and at that point Russia was facing a quick death and there were two unguarded centers facing me for the taking. I wanted to wait another turn or two to take France out, but I didn't know if the situation would be any better at that point.

I went into this game with the intention of stabbing BP in the back at least once, and once that was done, all bets were off.

I am down for playing again, but there is no way I could mod a game.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:21 pm

bigken117 wrote:The German/Italian/English alliance

:-t
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:02 pm

bigken117 wrote:The German/Italian/English alliance could contain Turkey, but in the long run we wouldn't be able to stop him.

Not remotely true.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk