CBS vs. ESPN for keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

CBS vs. ESPN for keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CBS vs. ESPN for keeper league

Postby jmurphy_j » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:52 am

I just finished 1st season of a keeper league on CBS (for the record, I am just a manager, not the commissioner of this league). The same group of managers has had a non-keeper league going on Yahoo for years, but we switched to CBS once we decided to make it a keeper league.

I know CBS is regarded as one of the top sites, but we seemed to have a lot of issues. Many of the problems can be chalked up the the fact that we were all new to keeper leagues and new to the CBS website. However, we found that the website was not at all user-friendly. And while I must admit that the information available on the website is excellent, it can be very difficult to find and sort through that info. One manager in the league was very fond of pointing out that player reasearch took him 3-4 times longer on CBS than it used to on Yahoo.

Even though most managers got used to the website during the season, at least one (and possibly more) are threatening to drop out of the league if we stick with CBS for next season. We are considering calling his (their) bluff, but since the league has been together for awhile, we are also looking into other website options.

Since Yahoo doesn't have keeper settings, that is not an option. Which finally leads me to my questions: Has anybody here used ESPN for a keeper league? How does ESPN compare to CBS and Yahoo? Are there any other good websites out there for keeper leagues? And while the quality of information and the keeper league features on a new website are important to us, clearly "ease of use" and a user-friendly website would be our primary consideration if we made a change.

Thanks in advance!

-Jim
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CBS vs. ESPN for keeper league

Postby fast dogs » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:22 pm

were you using the CBS commish product or a free cbs league? we've been using the commish product for 6 years & everyone likes it
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby jmurphy_j » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:15 pm

We are using the full CBS commish product (aka we paid $), and we would be willing to pay for ESPN's premier prudict as well. For our league, the opinion of CBS is very mixed. There are a couple of guys who absolutely love it, most of us got used to it and are now fine with it even if we don't think it is perfect, and a couple of guys hate it. As is often the case, it's the squeeky wheel that leading to the inquiries regarding different sites.

For the record, my personal opinion of CBS is that the information, feaures and flexibility are all excellent...as good as it gets. However, I do think the website is cumbersome to use, especially for a new user. And while "tedious" probably isn't an entirely fair description of the site, CBS is definitely tedious when compared to Yahoo's leagues...and the guys in tour league who have a very limited amount of time that they can dedicate to fantasy baseball found this especially frustrating. However, I'd be more than happy to keep using CBS.

With all that said I don't really want to get into a debate about whether or not CBS is a good site. Right or wrong, we have managers threatening to quit the league if we keep using CBS. So, I'm just looking to get an unbiased comparison of CBS and ESPN's keeper leagues so we can use that info to help us decide how to respond the the manager(s) threating to leave.

Thanks again!
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:02 pm

fast dogs wrote:were you using the CBS commish product or a free cbs league? we've been using the commish product for 6 years & everyone likes it

I've discovered that thwe longer I use CBS the more I like it. I always seem to discover some new feature that I didnt notice before. The thing is so customizable I cant imagine leaving, ESPECIALLY if you use MiLB players.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tavo2311 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:52 pm

I also had this situation arise a couple years ago. I basically said screw it, if you leave, we'll replace you, but if none of you are willing to manually track all the work I had to for our in depth keeper league, then we're using a site that is customizable enough to do so. None of the managers left, and most got used to it, as you say. Some love it, and some of us still admit Yahoo is easier to navigate, but you have to realize that is to navigate to find inferior info. CBS allows for SO many more things that it is worth the switch.
tavo2311
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:13 pm

FWIW, I find ESPN most awkward to navigate.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ayebatter » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:47 pm

" One manager in the league was very fond of pointing out that player reasearch took him 3-4 times longer on CBS than it used to on Yahoo."

Ok, so it took 20 seconds instead of 5, I understand your frustration, but CBS is the best site to run a keeper league, and better than a Yahoo Custom redraft for the same money.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1638)

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:03 pm

I would tell them that they need to have some sympathy for you as commish. CBS is the best site for keeper leagues, it holds all of the previous year's records, etc. etc.

I've written many a rant against yahoo in other threads, but I would just reiterate what others said. Those who find CBS cumbersome are most likely just inexperienced with the interface.

The query system for looking up players is awesome. Fully customizable. You can save searches for future use. You can customize the main page for easier access. Perhaps the people that love it could take some time helping those that don't get a feel for it.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tavo2311 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:56 pm

noseeum wrote:I would tell them that they need to have some sympathy for you as commish. CBS is the best site for keeper leagues, it holds all of the previous year's records, etc. etc.

I've written many a rant against yahoo in other threads, but I would just reiterate what others said. Those who find CBS cumbersome are most likely just inexperienced with the interface.

The query system for looking up players is awesome. Fully customizable. You can save searches for future use. You can customize the main page for easier access. Perhaps the people that love it could take some time helping those that don't get a feel for it.

And on this point, the easiest way to get some sympathy is to offer for them to commish instead. Of course no one likely will want to or they will and may see how hard it is. In my case I spoke about earlier, one of the guys that still hated it so much said "we're not moving our keeper football league to CBS too, I'll just commish and we'll stay on Yahoo." Well guess what? He has come to my side and a month ago said "there's no way I'm commishing again and this should be done on CBS!" no joke.
tavo2311
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gocardinals413 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:05 am

The only provider I have tried is ESPN, and it does seem pretty simple to navigate to me. I would say that it is probably not as deep as CBS but it is much more simple. The keeper leagues work fine, I have been running one for three years. I don't think it is such a bad alternative, and you would get to keep your owners.

I don't think there is an option to pay for ESPN's leagues I think they are all free FYI.
gocardinals413
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner