Need opinions about keeper league rule - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need opinions about keeper league rule

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Need opinions about keeper league rule

Postby baizboll » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Contracts should never reset. That would encourage too many shenanigans. }:-)
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

Image
baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 225
Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Edge of LunaSea

Re: Need opinions about keeper league rule

Postby dmendro » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Yes, contracts should follow the player in leagues without salaries.

However why people do keeper leagues without an auction and without salires is beyond me. You really need an auction draft and player salaries with built in annual raises for keepers to work right.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 796
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need opinions about keeper league rule

Postby baizboll » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:53 pm

dmendro wrote:However why people do keeper leagues without an auction and without salires is beyond me. You really need an auction draft and player salaries with built in annual raises for keepers to work right.



Keepers can work fine with contracts which doesn't necessarily require an auction.
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

Image
baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 225
Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Edge of LunaSea

Re: Need opinions about keeper league rule

Postby dmendro » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:26 pm

baizboll wrote:
dmendro wrote:However why people do keeper leagues without an auction and without salires is beyond me. You really need an auction draft and player salaries with built in annual raises for keepers to work right.



Keepers can work fine with contracts which doesn't necessarily require an auction.


I disagree, because without an auction and salaries, you have to put a timelimit on how long an owner can keep a player.

Personally I believe you should always give an owner the option of keeping the player. That option may be horribly expensive, but the choice is always there, so the rules are never actually forcing a player to be dropped. You want to keep A-Rod forever, go ahead, but you won't be able to afford other elite players if he's $80 and using 25% of your budget. Howver, you always give the owner that choice, which is more akin to real life, and allows the owner flexibililty in what he she can or can't do, without forcing an action unnaturally.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 796
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need opinions about keeper league rule

Postby baizboll » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:42 pm

dmendro wrote:
baizboll wrote:Keepers can work fine with contracts which doesn't necessarily require an auction.


I disagree, because without an auction and salaries, you have to put a timelimit on how long an owner can keep a player.



To address your comment about time limits: You can set up contracts based on draft position. For example, players drafted in rounds 1-6 are assigned 2 year contracts and defined as A players . Players drafted in rounds 7-15 are assigned 3 year contracts and defined as B players, etc.

An example of a player's contract status would be 3A2 = drafted 3rd round this year has 2 years left on contract; or a B player drafted 2 years ago in the last year of his contract 12B1. A team is allowed to keep a specified number of players from each contract group - A, B, or C - as long as there is time left on his contract.

So my point remains that you don't necessarily need to have an auction to run a keeper league and accomplish what you are striving for which is not being able to hold onto a player forever. I'm not saying one method is better than another, only that there are multiple ways to handle keepers.
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

Image
baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 225
Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Edge of LunaSea

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Jul. 28
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Diego at Atlanta
(12:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact