Johnson and Brown... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johnson and Brown...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Johnson and Brown...

Postby intense » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:52 pm

What do you think about these 2 guys? Injurys last year.... I actually picked 1st in a yahoo public livedraft and grabbed johnson with my 2nd round pick.... brown was open for my 5th pick, but I passed...

What do you guys think about these 2?
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby intense » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:06 am

anyone? I got a money league draft tomarrow and Im just wondering what you guys think about their values....
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bell » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:40 am

*bump*

I don't do money leagues, but I'm sure someone around here can assign a money value to these two. Otherwise check out the mock auction leagues in the forum index to see what they've been selling for.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby intense » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:28 am

I meant money league as in for an entry fee, not for a fee per player. My wording was kinda messed up, sorry...

anyways, what do you guys think of johnson and k. brown?
where should they go in 12man head to head 5x5...?
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:33 am

Well I usually like to take risks with guys like RJ, but if it was for money I might take a more conservative approach. Although if you get either of those guys relatively cheap, and they stay healthy all season, it would greatly increase your chances of winning over getting a good bet to be healthy with somewhat limited potential, like Randy Wolf.

Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya? Punk? Cuz if you do go ahead and draft RJ or Brown.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby intense » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:47 am

But whens too early for these guys? is RJ In the end of the 2nd or 3rd round too early? In my opinion the only pitchers better than him are.... pedro/schilling/prior. As for Brown, I have him as my 10th ranked pitcher or so.
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby canibus » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:41 pm

Most people have RJ near the bottom of the top 10, making him a 3rd or 4th round pick depending on how pitcher-happy your league is.

As far as taking him in the 2nd, I'd look at it this way. IF RJ does struggle this year due to knees/injury/whatever and you passed up say a Manny Ramirez or Curt Schilling for him, how pissed would you be? :~( I'd prob. make sure I had a few "sure things"(thought what really is?) on my roster before taking RJ. But the reward could be huge, since if healthy he is a top 5 pitcher.

As far as Kevin Brown, I'd say he's more of a risk. He already got injured this year,ha-ha, well not really took a grounder the hard way in ST. And he'll fall to you a bit later, most likely, maybe the 6th.

Hope that helps.
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:00 pm

Second round is good for RJ and I hope I can get him then. Here are his stats from his 4 Cy Young seasons:

Year Team G W L CG SHO IP K ERA WHIP
1999 ARI 35 17 9 12 2 271.2 364 2.48 1.02
2000 ARI 35 19 7 8 3 248.2 347 2.64 1.12
2001 ARI 35 21 6 3 2 249.2 372 2.49 1.01
2002 ARI 35 24 5 8 4 260.0 334 2.32 1.03

He was pretty bad after his injury last year, but, the question remains, can he regain his form?
And the answer, I think, is yes. Look at his last 3 starts:

12 strikeout complete game shutout, then 2 quality starts, only letting up 2 runs for each (one start was a win, the other no-decision).

Look at it this way - you take a risk, but the upside is huge. Randy healthy and dominating is the best pitcher by far. If you get him in the second round, then it is like you get 2 first round picks.

Take him in your money pool - don't let him slip to someone else.
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PirateFan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:29 am

im my 12 team keeper league (new league) he slipped to the 7th round. this is not normal, i'm worried about this league. He is risky but last year he was a top 10, he should fall but IMO not below the fourth round, even in keeper leagues.
PirateFan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PirateFan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:34 am

actually, after thinking about it, he sould be gone in the third at the latest. now i really am worried that i am in a dud league. i picked pitchers in rd's #2 and 3 and had position players ranked while i was in a meeting, when i came back to the PC and saw RJ still available and only 2 pick before me my heart was racing!
PirateFan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers