The Free Agent Game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Free Agent Game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Free Agent Game

Postby The Cow » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:48 am

1. CC Sabathia- Hmm Dodgers or Red Sox, I am going to say he takes the money and signs with the Sox.
2. Mark Teixiera-Angels
3. AJ Burnett Yankees
4. Manny Ramirez- Giants
5. Ben Sheets- Brewers
6. Adam Dunn- Hmm, Yanks
7. Francisco Rodriguez- Angels
8. Derek Lowe- Rangers
9. Bobby Abreu- Dodgers
10. Pat Burrell- Mariners
11. Rafael Furcal- Cardinals
12. Brian Fuentes- Indians
13. Milton Bradley- Rangers
14. Randy Johnson- D-Backs
15. Pedro Martinez- A's

CC gets 6 year 150 mil

Probably a terrible list as the Yanks only sign Burnett

The Cow
Last edited by The Cow on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:49 am

Guys like Ian Kennedy are never going to develop if they don't learn at the major league level. That's why I think it's a big joke that they are trying to build a system when they have major cash to dispose of. If you don't give a guy a chance to get knocked around and learn from his mistakes against major league hitters he'll never develop into a star, or even a serviceable pitcher. Obviously, the Yankees have no intent of letting young pitchers learn on the job so it makes absolutely no sense to let them waste away in the minors.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:55 am

The Cow wrote:6. Adam Dunn- Hmm, Blue Jays

Hmm...I bet you weren't paying much attention to the Jays or JP Ricciardi this summer. ;-)
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Old_Style » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:56 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i think its safe to say pat burrell will re-sign with the phils unless someone blows him away with money.

I assumed the Phils didn't want him back.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Cow » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:59 am

mweir145 wrote:

Hmm...I bet you weren't paying much attention to the Jays or JP Ricciardi this summer. ;-)

No clearly you were not paying attention to your Jays, you must have been blogging at the cafe all Summer. The Jays finished the 2008 campaign 24th in HRs with a whopping 126 HR. One would think Dunn and his almost guaranteed 40 HRs would be quite attractive to the Jays. Dunn can play OF, 1B and DH. The Jays OF consists of the vastly over rated Vernon Wells, the disappointing in terms of power Alex Rios, and Adam Lind who is still very much a prospect. At 1B the Jays have Lyle Overbay, umm Overbay or Dunn, yeah thats a no brainer. Don't like Dunn's D at 1B throw him at DH, looks like Travis Snider another prospect is int the way or one of the OFers.

Now if you are saying that the Jays are rebuilding with youth and trying to shed big contracts, you could have a point that the Jays will stay away, even still you know what you are getting in Dunn very little risk and power starved teams like the Jays will throw Dunn big contracts.

Clearly the Jays need power, Dunn provides that and there is room for Dunn on the Jays. The only way a guy like Dunn is not desired by the Jays is if they are rebuilding, but if they are serious about rebuilding one would think a Well or Ryan would have been traded.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Old_Style » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:16 am

A few quotes from Ricciardi about five months ago, before the trade deadline:

"Adam Dunn lacks a passion for baseball and definitely will not become a Toronto Blue Jay."

“Do you know the guy doesn’t really like baseball that much?” “Do you know the guy doesn’t have a passion to play the game that much?"

“There’s a reason why you’re attracted to some players and there’s a reason why you’re not attracted to some players. I don’t think you’d be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here …"

“We’ve done our homework on guys like Adam Dunn and there’s a reason why we don’t want Adam Dunn. I don’t want to get into specifics.”
Last edited by Old_Style on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jake_harv88 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:57 am

The Cow wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

No clearly you were not paying attention to your Jays, you must have been blogging at the cafe all Summer. The Jays finished the 2008 campaign 24th in HRs with a whopping 126 HR. One would think Dunn and his almost guaranteed 40 HRs would be quite attractive to the Jays. Dunn can play OF, 1B and DH. The Jays OF consists of the vastly over rated Vernon Wells, the disappointing in terms of power Alex Rios, and Adam Lind who is still very much a prospect. At 1B the Jays have Lyle Overbay, umm Overbay or Dunn, yeah thats a no brainer. Don't like Dunn's D at 1B throw him at DH, looks like Travis Snider another prospect is int the way or one of the OFers.

Now if you are saying that the Jays are rebuilding with youth and trying to shed big contracts, you could have a point that the Jays will stay away, even still you know what you are getting in Dunn very little risk and power starved teams like the Jays will throw Dunn big contracts.

Clearly the Jays need power, Dunn provides that and there is room for Dunn on the Jays. The only way a guy like Dunn is not desired by the Jays is if they are rebuilding, but if they are serious about rebuilding one would think a Well or Ryan would have been traded.

The Cow

Your knowledge of the current Jays situation is only surpassed by your lack of knowledge of JP Ricciardi and his pure hatred for Adam Dunn :-b
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:51 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
The Cow wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Hmm...I bet you weren't paying much attention to the Jays or JP Ricciardi this summer. ;-)

The Cow

Your knowledge of the current Jays situation is only surpassed by your lack of knowledge of JP Ricciardi and his pure hatred for Adam Dunn :-b

Ha. :-b
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby The Cow » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Old_Style wrote:A few quotes from Ricciardi about five months ago, before the trade deadline:

"Adam Dunn lacks a passion for baseball and definitely will not become a Toronto Blue Jay."

“Do you know the guy doesn’t really like baseball that much?” “Do you know the guy doesn’t have a passion to play the game that much?"

“There’s a reason why you’re attracted to some players and there’s a reason why you’re not attracted to some players. I don’t think you’d be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here …"

“We’ve done our homework on guys like Adam Dunn and there’s a reason why we don’t want Adam Dunn. I don’t want to get into specifics.”

Hmm, I did not know this, why would I follow the Jays anyway? I would think a team would want Dunn since he puts up consistent numbers year in and year out. Sounds like JP, was making excuses for not trading for Dunn. Bottom line the Jays could use some power, Dunn provides it. Is it my fault JP is not the sharpest tool in the shed? Some say Manny Ramirez is disinterested in baseball is a headcase, yada, yada, but at the end of the season Manny posts nice numbers year in and year out. Barry Bonds supposedly the biggest jerk in baseball put up some very nice numbers. So JP, does not like Dunn, my bad I did not realize he was so inept.

The Cow
Last edited by The Cow on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:46 pm

lol :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)