Uncle Billy Must Be Laughing His Rear Off - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Uncle Billy Must Be Laughing His Rear Off

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Uncle Billy Must Be Laughing His Rear Off

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:17 pm

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117994175.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Brad Pitt is adding to his busy schedule by playing ball for Columbia.

Steve Zaillian has signed on to adapt Michael Lewis’ nonfiction bestseller "Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game," and David Frankel is attached to direct. Project is being developed as a potential starring vehicle for Brad Pitt.

I am very conflicted.
On one hand I cannot wait for this movie, and think it could be fascinating, and on the other hand my hatred of how movies are currently written and made makes me wary of "poetic licence" and "Hollywood endings"

Pleeeeeeassssee let this turn out to be a good movie :~( :-/ .
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Uncle Billy Must Be Laughing His Rear Off

Postby jfg » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:22 pm

Wow, I love that book, but if I ever would have made a list of books I wanted to see as movies that would not have been on the list simply because I wouldn't have even thought of it.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Moneyball - THE MOVIE ( Staring Brad Pitt )

Postby CheeseBeger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:20 am

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/74490

Report: Pitt to star in 'Moneyball' movie

You know you've got a tough life when you're portrayed in a movie by an actor voted the sexiest man alive. Twice. Brad Pitt is his name, and playing Billy Beane is his game, according to Variety, the Hollywood entertainment newspaper, which reported that a project is "being developed" for Pitt to play Beane in a movie based on "Moneyball," the book about Beane's distinct methods of running the A's in the 2002 season. "Apparently, Larry Baer wasn't available," Beane said in a phone interview Friday, needling the Giants team president. The rights to the best-selling book were purchased by Columbia Pictures in 2004. At the time, "Moneyball" author Michael Lewis suggested Beane's role should be played by George Clooney, partly because both have a "certain Teflon quality." For now, Pitt seems to be the guy.

The fact that they got a guy like Pitt to star makes me think this is going to be awesome. At least they are forking over some serious cash to make it!
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: Moneyball - THE MOVIE ( Staring Brad Pitt )

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:43 am

AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby thedude » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:09 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/74490

You know you've got a tough life when you're portrayed in a movie by an actor voted the sexiest man alive. Twice. Brad Pitt is his name, and playing Billy Beane is his game, according to Variety, the Hollywood entertainment newspaper, which reported that a project is "being developed" for Pitt to play Beane in a movie based on "Moneyball," the book about Beane's distinct methods of running the A's in the 2002 season. "Apparently, Larry Baer wasn't available," Beane said in a phone interview Friday, needling the Giants team president. The rights to the best-selling book were purchased by Columbia Pictures in 2004. At the time, "Moneyball" author Michael Lewis suggested Beane's role should be played by George Clooney, partly because both have a "certain Teflon quality." For now, Pitt seems to be the guy.

The fact that they got a guy like Pitt to star makes me think this is going to be awesome. At least they are forking over some serious cash to make it!

Yeah but Pitt stared in Troy and they throw all kinds of money at that project and ****ed the whole story up. If this movie goes the way most great stories made into movies (by studios) go, the A's will win the World Series with Pitt himself delivering the game winning hit in the bottom of the ninth. :-t
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:09 pm

thedude wrote:
CheeseBeger wrote:http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/74490

Yeah but Pitt stared in Troy and they throw all kinds of money at that project and ****ed the whole story up. If this movie goes the way most great stories made into movies (by studios) go, the A's will win the World Series with Pitt himself delivering the game winning hit in the bottom of the ninth. :-t

Yet the movie Troy was wildly successful and is thought of as an excellent movie by most. Most people don't know the actual story, even reasonably, and even though I do, I didn't mind the deviations and thought the movie was excellent.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Wow I never would have thought this book would/could be made into a movie. This should be pretty good. One of my favorite books.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Can Jack Black be Jeremy Brown?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:17 am

I thought Troy was alright. It certainly entertained me.

As for this movie, well it looks promising. Brad Pitt has signed on to some pretty good movies in recent years.

My question though is...who gets to play that jerk, Ricciardi? :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:01 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:Can Jack Black be Jeremy Brown?

Isn't Jack Black thin now?
This would have been the perfect role for Chris Farley :,-(

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Next

Return to General Talk