Suing God? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Suing God?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Suing God?

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:41 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/suing_god

LINCOLN, Neb. - A judge has thrown out a Nebraska legislator's lawsuit against God, saying the Almighty wasn't properly served due to his unlisted home address. State Sen. Ernie Chambers filed the lawsuit last year seeking a permanent injunction against God.
ADVERTISEMENT

He said God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents in Omaha, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants...................................."

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Suing God?

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:25 am

...and the residents of Omaha voted this guy in? Yikes.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:51 am

i think Nebraska is the new Florida
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:06 am

Huh, I thought this thread was going to be about BigKen. And I also thought- "wow, he might actually have a pretty good case".
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:25 am

Not surprised. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:56 am

Inukchuk wrote:...and the residents of Omaha voted this guy in? Yikes.

For 37 years. :-t

Nebraska voted in term limits in 2000 specifically because we had finally had enough of this guy. His entire career has been built on thumbing his nose at the rest of the state. North Omaha is about the only enclave of Blacks in the state, and they’ve been using the ballot box vote for Chambers as their way to stick it to the White Man. Chambers has had a career of opposition, opposing such heinous things as a bill preserving the right to hunt in the state, and another bill requiring farmers to control ground squirrels on their property.

His only proposed legislation that I can remember was a bill to allow athletes at Nebraska to be paid as state employees (which would have DQ’d the University from NCAA competition – bright, Ernie!), another bill requesting that Omaha’s school districts be segregated (not making that up) and… that’s about it. Can’t remember any more.

Not so good for a 37-year career, huh?

Basically, Chambers’ whole goal as a state senator was to piss off as many people as possible. He is best known for his days-long filibustering in attempts to stymie bills for obscure and often pointless reasons. He’s also quite well known for wearing a t-shirt and jeans, or jeans and a sweatshirt with the arms cut off, to the legislative floor, and holding court for hours on end with his filibustering. The clothes I’m fine with – you don’t have to wear a suit to be a legislator – and his oratory skills are very, very good. But the problem with all of it is that he basically does all of it to piss people off.

I’m cool with opposing injustice. I’m cool with the whole Gandhi mentality. But come on, man – this is Nebraska, not Alabama or Mississippi of the 1960s. It’s not like he’s on the forefront of the Civil Rights movement. Never has been, never will be.

Dan Lambskin wrote:i think Nebraska is the new Florida

I LOLed at this. We certainly have our share of crazy here. :-b
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:07 am

Isn't the Pope God's agent on Earth? So even though God's address may be unlisted (actually it's not unlisted, there's just these big pearly gates with a divine security guard so an argument can be made that God is evading service) couldn't you serve his agent? eg God c/o Pope Benedict, Apostolic Palace, Holy See, Vatican City?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:10 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Isn't the Pope God's agent on Earth? So even though God's address may be unlisted (actually it's not unlisted, there's just these big pearly gates with a divine security guard so an argument can be made that God is evading service) couldn't you serve his agent? eg God c/o Pope Benedict, Apostolic Palace, Holy See, Vatican City?

Mookie, this is a new job market you should jump on. Market yourself as a server of legal papers, directly to God. You could also notarize legal documents and manage claims involving God. You may have to become a reverend... or at least cover that inverted cross tattoo...
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:13 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Isn't the Pope God's agent on Earth? So even though God's address may be unlisted (actually it's not unlisted, there's just these big pearly gates with a divine security guard so an argument can be made that God is evading service) couldn't you serve his agent? eg God c/o Pope Benedict, Apostolic Palace, Holy See, Vatican City?

I don't think Ernie believes in the Pope's divine authority. Could be wrong, though.

So the judge says he's throwing the case out because God was not properly served. Ernie's response: You have people swear on a Bible that they will tell the truth. That is implicit acknowledgement of God's existence and authority. If you acknowledge that, you must also acknowledge God's omniscience. Therefore, God knows full well about this case, and has been "properly served."

The judge said no. :-b

But it's a good argument by Ernie, and another example of his cleverness. I'm never going to say the guy's an idiot - he may have been the smartest guy in the Unicameral these past four decades. The problem with Ernie is he spent all his time trying to fight against The Man, without ever really grasping the fact that The Man doesn't live in podunk Nebraska. ;-7
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:23 am

Suing the Pope as God's agent would be like suing the WWE. Wouldn't they either have to defend God or admit that it's all fake? Now that I think of it the Catholic Church could use McMahon to spice up mass - no longer the agent of God on earth, the Catholic Church is now "religious entertainment". Naa, I think that Benny Hinn has cornered the market.

knapplc wrote:The problem with Ernie is he spent all his time trying to fight against The Man, without ever really grasping the fact that The Man doesn't live in podunk Nebraska. ;-7

Someone's got to think so or else he wouldn't have been elected to office for 37 years. Isn't someone trying to send a message that they are dissasisfied?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Next

Return to General Talk