Rank these 7 prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Rank these 7 prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rank these 7 prospects

Postby Diamond Miners » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:14 pm

I'd really like to keep the two that makes the most sense for next season (2009), but really looking for 2010+ which is why I'm leaning towards two pitchers...Cahill and Porcello. But I'd like to see how everyone views these in tiers.

Gamel, Mat 3B MIL
Fowler, Dexter CF COL
McCutchen, Andrew OF PIT
Bumgarner, Madison SP SF
Tillman, Chris P BAL
Cahill, Trevor SP OAK
Porcello, Rick SP DET
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rank these 7 prospects

Postby J35J » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:40 am

Diamond Miners wrote:I'd really like to keep the two that makes the most sense for next season (2009), but really looking for 2010+ which is why I'm leaning towards two pitchers...Cahill and Porcello. But I'd like to see how everyone views these in tiers.

Gamel, Mat 3B MIL
Fowler, Dexter CF COL
McCutchen, Andrew OF PIT
Bumgarner, Madison SP SF
Tillman, Chris P BAL
Cahill, Trevor SP OAK
Porcello, Rick SP DET

I personally like Bumgarner a touch more than Cahill. Cahill does have the better probability of seeing action next year but I don't think he contributes much next year either. I'd go with Porcello and Bumgarner personally. Gamel and McCutchen would be the way I'd lean if it was strickly for '09.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby DevilDriver » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Fowler
Porcello
Bumgarner
Cahill
McCutchen
Tillman
Gamel

Not a fan of Gamel. Fowler so high because I like his chances of becoming a fantasy stud. Conclusion: keep Fowler and Porcello. ;-D
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:43 am

The risky part of your equation is that projecting young pitchers is much, much, more difficult because of the injury risk that is so pervasive. Add in the fact that you are looking for 2010 impact, and it becomes even more of a hit or miss strategy. When you also consider that the hitting prospects are equivalent value, in terms of upside and closeness, you have at least a compelling case to assess your theory. For my purposes, I would look at your list and say these hitters would probably have most success next year:

Mat Gamel
Andrew McCutcheon
Dexter Fowler

Gamel is an absolute beast. Love the bat, the ability to make adjustments during the game, and the way he controls the strike zone. McCutcheon is a guy that is a legit 5 tool performer whpo will get every opportunity ot be the everyday CF in Pittsburgh. Fowler plays in a great environemnt with a front office that rewards its young players, and has 70 speed on the 20-80 scale.

Good luck!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby littlebilly3 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:17 pm

Does Gamel see the field next year? Where does he play? I love his bat too, but I don't know where they make room for him...
littlebilly3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thomasps3 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Pure conjecture, but I can see why they may be making Prince Fielder available this year to see if they can snag a top notch Pitcher. Gamel is man that "plays" 3b, but when your only comp is Roberto Duran because of his hands of stone, he could handle 1b on an everyday basis....but just a thought.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby San D » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:06 pm

I like Cahill and Bumgarner. Cahill's strikeout and groundball rates at high levels are impressive. Also, Bumgarner's strikeouts in low A while concentrating mostly on his fastball put him above Porcello for me. I like these three better than any of the hitters or Tillman.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chief Noc-A-Homa » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Bats:
Gamel
mcCutchen
Fowler

Arms:
Cahill
Porcello
Tillman
Bumgarner
Chief Noc-A-Homa
College Coach
College Coach

Location: In a teepee near you smokin' a peace pipe and talkin' trades.

Postby MikeeDee » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:06 pm

littlebilly3 wrote:Does Gamel see the field next year? Where does he play? I love his bat too, but I don't know where they make room for him...

Also, he really stunk in the second half this year. My guess is he won't be up before August/September next year. If at all.
He once hit a ball between my legs so hard that my center-fielder caught it on the fly backing up against the wall.

If Satch (Paige) and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: gamel

Postby brewcrewreview.com » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:28 pm

I think Gamel is being a bit overrated. Prince Fielder will not be traded this offseason or next by the Brew Crew.

I feel Gamel will only have the offensive career of comps like Lyle Overbay or Chad Tracy. He will be a solid regular, but not a star.

Either way, the Brewers could use his left-handed bat in the lineup at 3B. However, he's not ready defensively there, so look for him to spend most of 2009 at AAA Nashville.
brewcrewreview.com
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball