100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Town Hall debate

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Town Hall debate

Postby mweir145 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:34 am

jfg wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
As for a religion class, I would not personally be against a class like that although I do think it could be can of worms. I also think you'd have trouble finding someone qualified enough to teach this type of class at the pre-college level. Most colleges have intro to religion type classes that are geared in this manner taught by theologians.

I think it would be just like any other class teaching from a textbook- basic stuff. You wouldn't really need a theology professor to teach it.

Exactly.There was a grade 11 religion class in my high school, and it was pretty basic.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:42 am

In that case, I'm not sure you need an additional class. A study of religion in terms of civilization was included in the H.S. curriculum when I attended. It was an aspect of history, social studies, literature, etc.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:In that case, I'm not sure you need an additional class. A study of religion in terms of civilization was included in the H.S. curriculum when I attended. It was an aspect of history, social studies, literature, etc.

Yep, mine too.

I would have concerns about a religion class that goes more in-depth about a wide swath of religions simply because there's no way a Christian can completely sever their beliefs while talking about Islam. You can take that concern any which way you want: Muslim teaching about Buddhism, Wiccan teaching about Judaism, Jew teaching about Christianity, etc. There are inherent biases in each religion that make it difficult for anyone to teach from a neutral point of view. And while we may be able to find that one or two great teachers who truly can separate their belief from their curriculum, we won't be able to find enough to teach it effectively across an entire school district, or a state.

Religions should be discussed in schools as they impact our social structure and history, but ideology is best left to the church, mosque, synagogue or temple of your choice. That's my take.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:19 pm

knapplc wrote:
Amazinz wrote:In that case, I'm not sure you need an additional class. A study of religion in terms of civilization was included in the H.S. curriculum when I attended. It was an aspect of history, social studies, literature, etc.

Yep, mine too.

I would have concerns about a religion class that goes more in-depth about a wide swath of religions simply because there's no way a Christian can completely sever their beliefs while talking about Islam. You can take that concern any which way you want: Muslim teaching about Buddhism, Wiccan teaching about Judaism, Jew teaching about Christianity, etc. There are inherent biases in each religion that make it difficult for anyone to teach from a neutral point of view. And while we may be able to find that one or two great teachers who truly can separate their belief from their curriculum, we won't be able to find enough to teach it effectively across an entire school district, or a state.

Religions should be discussed in schools as they impact our social structure and history, but ideology is best left to the church, mosque, synagogue or temple of your choice. That's my take.

Word. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:22 pm

Republicans are getting pretty desperate. They now have Palin going after Obama on abortion; in the midst of a financial and economic meltdown.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jfg » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:21 pm

It's not McCain's fault that racism is rearing it's ugly head, but man is coming out full force right now. I really thought we were going to make it to November without hearing much about race but in desperation, some idiots are showing their true colors.

I think most people have made up their mind by now and it would take something major for the numbers to change.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby knapplc » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:15 pm

With Palin coming out over and over with her "pals around with terrorists" line, I don't think you can absolve the McCain campaign from race-baiting at all. It's a not-so-thinly veiled statement specifically pointing out race. Further, during those several rallies where Palin and McCain were rousing up the rabble, when they heard those shouts of "kill him" they should have stopped their canned speech immediately and denounced those statements. They didn't, tacitly providing approval of them. That's unconscionable.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:08 am

when the primaries were in their mid-stages i thought this would be one of the most interesting election s of the +/- 25yrs. wow was i mistaken. nobody has any balls or ideas. pathetic.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby CheeseBeger » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:47 am

RugbyD wrote:when the primaries were in their mid-stages i thought this would be one of the most interesting election s of the +/- 25yrs. wow was i mistaken. nobody has any balls or ideas. pathetic.

Remember your post on voting theory? Balls and ideas don't win elections, pandering to the middle and your base does.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:12 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:
RugbyD wrote:when the primaries were in their mid-stages i thought this would be one of the most interesting election s of the +/- 25yrs. wow was i mistaken. nobody has any balls or ideas. pathetic.

Remember your post on voting theory? Balls and ideas don't win elections, pandering to the middle and your base does.

Given the supposed 50/50 nature of the electorate and the early talk about "change" (whatever that means), I really did hold out hope for something interesting, but all i see is a fail to deliver.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk