Comics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Comics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Comics

Postby Old_Style » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:No.

Since Bloom County stopped I'm satisfied with my Dilbert deskcalendar.

I've always been partial to the Far Side desk calendar.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:08 am

I used to buy comics religiously when I was a kid, namely DC Comics, X-Men (the one Marvel comic I liked collecting), and as I grew older, it was Spawn and whatever English translated manga I could find. I also have a few Chinese comic collections (manhua), but they're fairly mainstream like Oriental Heroes (aka Dragon Tiger Gate) and Fung Wan (aka Cloud and Wind or The Storm Riders).

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby knapplc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:43 am

jfg wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i will say that i absolutely dread going to my local comic shop though, that place is creepy nerd city and they always want to talk to me. i keep trying to tell them i'm only interested in Dark Tower, here's your $3.50, please let me leave now

I don't really go to comic shops but I feel the same way at video game shops and I would bet that's the same kind of experience.

There's always that fringe element with every collectible, it seems. There's nothing wrong with comic books or video games, but in each genre there are those people who care a little too much, or who get into it a little too much, and I'm not even talking about the cosplay freakazoids.

I like Legos and action figures and whatnot, but I'm not "in" to either of them all that much. Every time I try to do some function that involves afficianadoes of either, I get the creeps because it seems like the crazies just come out of the woodwork.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:41 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i will say that i absolutely dread going to my local comic shop though, that place is creepy nerd city and they always want to talk to me. i keep trying to tell them i'm only interested in Dark Tower, here's your $3.50, please let me leave now

That is hilarious... I actually switched comic shops because there was this guy behind the counter that wore purple sunglasses and would keep me there for a half hour every week going on about how good all the comics I wasn't reading were.

There are comic nerds (like myself), and then there are comic nerds - you know, the ones that dress up like Wolverine even though it's nowhere close to Halloween... :-o
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Inukchuk wrote:

That is hilarious... I actually switched comic shops because there was this guy behind the counter that wore purple sunglasses and would keep me there for a half hour every week going on about how good all the comics I wasn't reading were.

There are comic nerds (like myself), and then there are comic nerds - you know, the ones that dress up like Wolverine even though it's nowhere close to Halloween... :-o

yeah...this guy is just more creepy than anything...always wears a winter hat, scraggly hair, bad teeth...then he has a bunch of teenage nerds working for him.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby DbacksRback » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:47 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Calvin and Hobbes Yukon Ho! was one of the only 15 books I brought with me to college.

Thats where im at i own like 5 Calvin and Hobbes books ;-D

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:37 pm

DbacksRback wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Calvin and Hobbes Yukon Ho! was one of the only 15 books I brought with me to college.

Holla ;-D
Them and Far Side books never get old.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 pm

I used to be a huge comic book fan. My favorite will always be Amazing Spider Man, I still buy that comic. The indies I used to love include-

Cerebus... so great. RIP. :,-( (Dave Sim)

HATE (Peter Bagge :-D)

Eightball (Daniel Clowes)
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:51 pm

bigken117 wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:

Holla ;-D
Them and Far Side books never get old.

Agreed. Although I don't enjoy the new C/B books that much. Farside is awesome.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:03 pm

I wish Bill Watterson would have written Calvin and Hobbes for longer than he did. 10 years wasn't enough.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk