What games are you most looking forward to this winter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

What games are you most looking forward to this winter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What games are you most looking forward to this winter?

Postby FtWCats » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Can't wait for Call of Duty: World at War for PC. Best franchise ever.
FtWCats
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zepfan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:49 am

A few days after release and Little Big Planet on PS3 is getting some pretty impressive reviews.

I also read some reviews for Fallout 3 that say the PS3 version has a lot of glitches that are not in the xbox version. It's supposed to be a great game on either console but Bethesda is getting a lot of flack for the problems on the PS3. I went to the message boards and all the 1337 d00ds are freaking out. :-b

Also it looks like SOCOM 3 is having some serious technical issues with online play which is especially bad for an online-only game. All said, I think I'm gonna pick up Little Big Planet first. Based on what I've read, it's very innovative and has an amazing amount of replay value.

Granted this quote was from a reviewer from PSX Extreme but it's tough not to take notice when you read something like this:

Media Molecule has created a game that'll go down in videogame history as one of the best gaming achievements ever, and you'd be extremely foolish to pass this up. There is absolutely nothing out there that can give you this much bang for your buck.

I think I'm gonna try to pick it up tomorrow if I can find it. ;-D

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:04 am

zepfan wrote:A few days after release and Little Big Planet on PS3 is getting some pretty impressive reviews.

I also read some reviews for Fallout 3 that say the PS3 version has a lot of glitches that are not in the xbox version. It's supposed to be a great game on either console but Bethesda is getting a lot of flack for the problems on the PS3. I went to the message boards and all the 1337 d00ds are freaking out. :-b

Also it looks like SOCOM 3 is having some serious technical issues with online play which is especially bad for an online-only game. All said, I think I'm gonna pick up Little Big Planet first. Based on what I've read, it's very innovative and has an amazing amount of replay value.

Granted this quote was from a reviewer from PSX Extreme but it's tough not to take notice when you read something like this:

Media Molecule has created a game that'll go down in videogame history as one of the best gaming achievements ever, and you'd be extremely foolish to pass this up. There is absolutely nothing out there that can give you this much bang for your buck.

I think I'm gonna try to pick it up tomorrow if I can find it. ;-D

The problem with Little Big Planet is the servers were down. They might be up now though, but I'm not too hopeful about this weekend. The servers are going to be slammed and I doubt they will be smooth.

I haven't crashed yet when playing Fallout 3 on the PS3 after about 4 hours. However, the L2 and R2 buttons don't work at all. I don't think anyone playtested this on the PS3, it seems like a pretty amateur release.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby zepfan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:27 pm

After reading those reviews and buying Little Big Planet, I'm thinking it might be one of the most overhyped, overrated games that I can remember. I could be missing something but it doesn't seem like much more than Super Mario Brothers with some extra bells and whistles. All I'm doing is jumping to places that take to more places where I can jump some more. I cleared the one player in about 8 hours of gameplay and then tried some of the user-created levels which were ok I guess if you like jumping. I don't even like the running/jumping physics which is bad since that's all I seem to be doing. Aside from that, waving my hands in the air, dressing up my sock puppet, decorating my pod, and putting stickers all over the place wears off pretty quick. I don't really plan on designing any levels so this one's gonna be collecting dust for awhile I think. :-t

It might be a decent game but as Chuck D put it "don't believe the hype". Unless you love jumping in which case I highly recommend this game. :-S

zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:23 pm

I would have to agree that LBP was overhyped. But that applies to just about every game especially during the holiday season. It's definitely not a solo game. You need 3+ players before it gets truly fun much like Rock Band. For me, it's a solid game, probably an 8/10 once the online levels improve.

Clearly, they don't make games like they used to since as disappointing as LBP is, it's still better than 85%-90% of the competition.

The truly overhyped, overrated game that sorely disappointed award goes to Mirror's Edge.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:27 am

zepfan wrote:After reading those reviews and buying Little Big Planet, I'm thinking it might be one of the most overhyped, overrated games that I can remember.

i take it you've never heard of Spore :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jfg » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:41 pm

Or Assassin's Creed
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby zepfan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:24 pm

Yeah, I haven't tried either of those two games. Probably a good thing from what I'm gathering. :-b

zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:48 am

Assassin's Creed's gameplay is awesome... until you do the same thing for the 15th time and realize you're going to be doing it for the rest of the game. I can totally understand why it was hyped if reviewers only got a taste of a couple levels.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:54 pm

jfg wrote:Assassin's Creed's gameplay is awesome... until you do the same thing for the 15th time and realize you're going to be doing it for the rest of the game. I can totally understand why it was hyped if reviewers only got a taste of a couple levels.

I was seriously thinking about picking up a used copy of Assassin's Creed because I had read some good reviews. I did also read that the game was a little repetitive. :-o
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games