Ten Signs Your League is Doomed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Ten Signs Your League is Doomed

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Ten Signs Your League is Doomed

Postby Arlo » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:03 pm

Sometimes, you know it before the draft is even underway: your league is in serious trouble. Whether it's three owners who happen to have the same name and email address or a commish who changes the rules to fit his roster, sometimes the signs are just too blatant to overlook.

Following lengthy research, Chris Weber has come up with a list of Signs Your League is Doomed. In the meantime, others have contributed, but the list might still not be comprehensive (although I think you'll agree with most of them...)

What signs are missing? Post your own tell-tale tip-offs that your fantasy league is going under faster than Howard Dean's campaign! Chances are we'll add them to the list (so please make sure you're sharing your genuine experience rather than something you just read on another website). If we do, of course we'll give you credit on the front page!
Last edited by Arlo on Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:37 am

7. Practically the whole league is made up of Yankee haters, allowing the only New Yorker to pick up Mike Mussina in round 23.

If Mussina falls that far, then the league is definitely in trouble. Lol. :-D

Funny read. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby fishnuts » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:02 am

1) Owners show up late for the draft because of NCAA basketball tournament.
2) Owners don't have a team name by Draft Day and then call their teams 'Whatever' 'Who Cares' 'Uh...' and 'Can't Think'.
3) An owner tries to draft a player selected in the previous round...three different times.
4) Owners try to draft players that retired last year.
5) The owners that finish in the money are the only teams that make trades or use the waiver wire.
6) Log-in times for half the leagues owners are more than one year old.

All but the last are real life apathy encountered during my tenure as league commish. #6 is one of my current situations...sadly.
I love to hear the MOANS and GROANS of my competetors when I take their draft pick one round too early.
fishnuts
College Coach
College Coach

useless league

Postby sapo45 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:53 pm

in a yahoo winner's league where every trade has been vetoed even the extremely fair :-P
sapo45

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Tasneem » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:53 pm

1. Two of the teams in my league thinks that thier players on their will go out on a field and play each other instead of the players playing on their actual team.
2. One team picks players based on how funny their names sound.
3. Another team picked all players on their favorite team even the ones who aren't starting.
4. Another team thought K's were knockouts and BB's were # of baseball bats used.
5. Someone can't figure out why they can't find Tiki Barber on any baseball team.
6. One team, thinks that they can offer very unfair trades to others and people will actually accept like Albert Pujols for Cormier.
7. The commissioner will veto all trades if he really wants any players that were traded.
8. The commissioner cries and tells his mom to make other teams trade with him. Then, his mom makes the other teams do unfair trades.
9. Players give each other stuff outside the league for unfair trades.
10. Players won't accept trades because they are mad at another player.

Sometimes I wonder why I'm still in that league...
Procrastination is a way of life!

Proud St. Louis Cardinals fan. Baseball rules!
Tasneem
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby cwebb » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:44 am

Tasneem wrote:2. One team picks players based on how funny their names sound.

That's just like my first and last ever XFL fantasy league. Some guys were drafting by alphabet. And didn't do worse than anybody else...
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Greenie40 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:25 pm

Two in guys in my league have gotten uber-lazy (or maybe kinda smart) in not drafting a single starting pitcher, just closers and hitting. They're lazy because their true reasoning for doing this is so that they don't need to check their team often and change their pitchers. But another reason I've figured out is that it works. One guy won the league two years ago and the other guy has a very good chance this year. I'm thinking of implementing this school of thought in a yahoo public league :-B Although it does sort of screw the league up because there are a ton of starters available and no closers. The one guy this year has stacked up Gagne, Wagner, Dotel and Julio and his hitting is unreal (J Lopez, Helton, Rolen, ARod, Manny, P Wilson, B Giles, just to name a few).
"Worry more about your character than your reputation. Character is what you are, reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden
Greenie40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:27 pm

14. Your commissioner doesn't award 'SF Outfielder' to the owner who drafted Barry Bonds.

I gotta remember that one.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)

Postby frog99 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:23 pm

After passing on Vlad Guerrero in the second round only to draft him in the third round

true stroy (not mine)
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Sigh.......

Postby Me » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:55 pm

One guy drafts Ugueth Urbina before checking any news on him at all. After realizing what he's done, he starts asking league members if the MLB has a team in China.
Me

Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Article Discussions