Hybrid League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hybrid League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hybrid League

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:47 am

has anyone ever heard of like a H2H/Roto Hybrid league(maybe this has been discussed before)

i was thinking it would be kind of cool to have a league where you played H2H each week but also tracked Roto standings for the year...i think this would really make you think twice about streaky players or churning/spot starting

the best way would probably to have no H2H playoffs and essentially award out "roto points" for the H2H final standings and then add them to the final Roto standings (i.e. for a 10 team league you finsih 3rd in H2H [8 points] and 5th in Roto [6 points] for 14 points total). Although i guess that doesnt account for the point gap between teams...maybe winning % x 100 + Roto Points would be better

anyway...just thought it seemed cool and if anyone had ever heard of anything like that. obviously you wouldnt be able to use any league software for this (probably have to make a seperate H2H and Roto league and duplicate every transaction which would be a commish nightmare)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hybrid League

Postby Mugrila » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:29 am

I kicked around the idea of running something similar a few years ago, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up the way I wanted. I had fears it would migrate into two separate leagues. Like somebody would get fed up with the h2h, and start just playing for the roto. I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it though, I'd like to explore it further.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:33 am

I also toyed with the idea and may do this for next year. I think you just separate the pot (assuming $ league) and award the winners for each.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:46 pm

I've thought of this too, but I'd prefer to keep the two leagues separate and as two different competitions altogether, albeit the rosters will be the same. Yahoo H2H of course compiles statistics for roto, but it only updates on a weekly basis, which is a buzzkill when you want to know exactly where you sit day to day. The problem with having both leagues separated is that with any changes to one roster won't go hand-in-hand with the other.

It's a nice idea though and it would be nice to try it out.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:40 pm

You've been playing to much spore
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:48 pm

ive kicked this idea around too, but i couldnt come up with an adequate way of running it, not to mention there are completely different strategies for both, i think you'd force a manager to run their teams one way or the other. the thing i find fascinating is that at the end of the year, the h2h standings are VERY VERY close to what the roto standings would be.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:15 am

Snakes Gould wrote:ive kicked this idea around too, but i couldnt come up with an adequate way of running it, not to mention there are completely different strategies for both, i think you'd force a manager to run their teams one way or the other. the thing i find fascinating is that at the end of the year, the h2h standings are VERY VERY close to what the roto standings would be.

that's kind of the whole point of it...to see how that would affect things
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:ive kicked this idea around too, but i couldnt come up with an adequate way of running it, not to mention there are completely different strategies for both, i think you'd force a manager to run their teams one way or the other. the thing i find fascinating is that at the end of the year, the h2h standings are VERY VERY close to what the roto standings would be.

that's kind of the whole point of it...to see how that would affect things

for me the whole point is to enjoy the week to week battle with your opponents, yet reward the "best" team at the end of the year on a cumulative basis, as opposed to a flawed playoff system.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nerfherders » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:19 pm

There is one way you can do this, though it would take some slick stat work on the commish's part.

H2H is essentially a roto for one week. So you make one roto league, and all you have to do is split the roto stats week-by-week and come up with a H2H schedule. If youre really good with it you can split it such that teams know their weekly standings day by day for every week. You wouldnt even be bound by weeks, necesarrily. You could go with 4 and 3 day splits, or 10 day splits, or even monthly splits. anyway you want.

I already have a separate competition in my keeper roto league for weekly and monthly wins, so it would only be a little stretch to apply those stats to a H2H schedule.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:17 am

Nerfherders wrote:There is one way you can do this, though it would take some slick stat work on the commish's part.

H2H is essentially a roto for one week. So you make one roto league, and all you have to do is split the roto stats week-by-week and come up with a H2H schedule. If youre really good with it you can split it such that teams know their weekly standings day by day for every week. You wouldnt even be bound by weeks, necesarrily. You could go with 4 and 3 day splits, or 10 day splits, or even monthly splits. anyway you want.

I already have a separate competition in my keeper roto league for weekly and monthly wins, so it would only be a little stretch to apply those stats to a H2H schedule.

good point...i know Sportsline's Roto actually gives you the roto stats for each period as well (you wouldnt get live H2H updates, just next morning), so yeah, all you'd have to do is manually set a schedule and track it...wonder if some interweb guru could even write a script that would allow you to see the H2H matchups
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers