Offseason Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Offseason Rumors

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:49 pm

From MLB Trade Rumors...

Yankees Rumors: Jeter, Sabathia, Hudson
By Tim Dierkes [September 30 at 11:18am CST]

Let's talk Yankees.

* Ken Davidoff makes recommendations for the '09 Yankees. He would sign Derek Lowe and Andy Pettitte, and offer arbitration to Damaso Marte and Bobby Abreu.
* Jim Baumbach explains a tricky situation coming up: re-signing Derek Jeter.
* Peter Abraham takes a look at various free agents on the minds' of Yankees fans.
* Tyler Kepner of the New York Times says first priority for the Yankees is to re-sign Brian Cashman. I imagine they already have a Plan B in place, but recent reports lean toward Cashman returning.
* Kepner says the Indians were aggressive in pursuing a deadline deal involving Phil Hughes and C.C. Sabathia. Now, Kepner says the Yankees are skeptical they'll be able to sign Sabathia. For Plan B, the Yanks seem to prefer pitchers with American League experience. They'll probably stand pat on the bullpen, though a decision must be made on Damaso Marte's option.
* If the Yankees can engineer a Robinson Cano-Matt Kemp swap (unlikely), they could then sign free agents Mark Teixeira and Orlando Hudson. The right-side infield defense would be drastically improved.
* Bill Madden of the New York Daily News is more pessimistic - he doesn't see the team's internal center field options working out, nor does he consider the free agent signings wise.

Davidoff makes good points in his article. I think it's very possible that Sabathia/Burnett/Sheets signings won't work out, and the team might be better served going for a middle-tier pitcher like Lowe for less years.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Offseason Rumors

Postby BritSox » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Derek Lowe is possibly the worst imaginable signing for the NYY, since he's just barely a class A Free Agent. If you're going to sign a class A, it might as well be CC.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:42 pm

I agree, if Lowe is a Type-A, it makes him much less attractive. I'd still rather sign him than a guy like Burnett or Sheets, though. At least you won't spend as much money/years on him and you know what you're getting.

Other rumors:
Yankees Eyeing Peavy?
By Nat Boyle [October 5 at 12:09pm CST]

There's a lot being made of the Yankees signing CC Sabathia, but as Ken Davidoff of Newsday.com asks, "Whom would you rather have? CC Sabathia for six years and $150 million? Or Jake Peavy for four years and $63 million?" Buster Olney reported on this possibility recently. Davidoff reports:

"Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod, who lives in the San Diego area and is very friendly with Towers, said: "My guess is, unless somebody knocks their socks off this offseason, I don't expect that Jake will be moved. I would think that starting the middle of next year and into the next offseason, there could be a significant possibility of Jake being moved" because of Peavy's significant raise from 2009 to 2010."

Peavy would need to approve a trade and it's not sure thing he'd want to go to New York. On whether, Peavy is seeking a trade at all, Davidoff quotes Peavy:

"'I want to be here, but I want to be here with a chance to win a World Series. If someone says, 'Hey, we're going to rebuild, that's not going to be our top priority,' you certainly would wonder what your other options are.'"

If the Yankees want CC Sabathia, they will not lose in any bidding war now that a new ballpark puts them in the position to "throw unlimited dollars" at CC. Unless CC wants to play in the NL, or avoid the media circus of New York City, Olney seems convinced the Yankees will land him.

George A. King III of the Post writes that the Yankees and Pirates have not yet discussed the possibility of Nate McLouth roaming center field when the new Stadium opens in 2009.

Pirates GM Neal Huntington has declared nobody is untouchable, and the Pirates are looking to upgrade a poor minor league system and major league talent base, so McLouth's name has been tossed around. The Yankees are in the market for a center fielder.

Thanks to increased playing time, McLouth easily surpassed his previous career highs in HR, RBI, R, and doubles this year, but it also doesn't appear to have been a fluke. He's always been able to take a walk and his increased power (career high .497 SLG%) seems sustainable considering his age (will be 27 on Opening Day '09). Although I don't think that he's as strong defensively as Melky Cabrera has been, he's definitely an offensive upgrade.

Next, the Daily News' Anthony McCarron wonders if Derek Lowe might be in pinstripes next year. Yankees manager Joe Girardi has stated that the team needs some pitchers capable of throwing 200-plus innings, and McCarron thinks that the 35-year old righty fits the bill.

Lowe is just the kind of pitcher the Yankees want to insert into their rotation - a durable winner with a playoff pedigree.

Source: mlbtraderumors.com
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:30 am

From mlbtraderumors
According to Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News:

The Yankees are looking to move two from a group of outfielders of Xavier Nady, Nick Swisher and Hideki Matsui. The Angels, Texas, Oakland and Atlanta are considered to have interest.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Peter Gammons was also speculating about the Yankees looking to deal Hideki to either the Dodgers, Giants or Mariners.M's are rebuilding so I personally don't see a fit there. Giants may make sense in terms of marketing(large Asian population) but Yanks most likely have to kick significant money to get a decent return. LA makes sense with Torre but unless the Yanks take Andruw Jones(similar contract) not sure how he fits in with LA's glut of outfielders.

I think Angels might be a fit as well.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:33 pm

I don't understand why they'd be looking to move 2 of those guys unless they weren't done yet. As it stands right now you have a lineup like:

1. Damon, CF
2. Jeter, SS
3. Teixeira, 1B
4. Rodriguez, 3B
5. Matsui, DH
6. Posada, C
7. Nady, RF
8. Swisher, LF
9. Cano, 2B

Trading Matsui, say, gives them...

1. Damon, LF
2. Jeter, SS
3. Teixeira, 1B
4. Rodriguez, 3B
5. Cano, 2B
6. Posada, C
7. Nady, RF
8. Swisher, DH
9. Cabrera/Gardner, CF

If you then trade Swisher or Nady, you have a vacancy in the lineup. Unless of course they are planning to sign Manny Ramirez or a guy like Dunn/Burrell/Giambi/etc.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:25 pm

Rather curious myself as to why it's being speculated that 2 (not 1) are being rumored to be moved.
With Jeter,A-Rod,Posada and Mo not getting younger maybe they are trying to make room for Manny(2-3 year deal) and try to win it in the next 2-3 seasons.It could also mean we're trying to move salary to acquire Derek Lowe with one of the OFs being traded for a CF possibly. Of course,this is all just speculation at this point.

Assuming none of this Manny talk comes to fruition,With Hideki's negative value I might take a flyer on Andruw Jones,who has negative value as well.If he can provide stellar defense and come back to being serviceable with the bat, it's worth a risk IMO and it's only for one season. I like Aaron Rowand but his contract is horrific.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to New York Yankees