Draft Picks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Draft Picks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Picks

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:38 am

I'm still learning about how the draft and pick compensation works, so if anyone spots flaws in this, please let me know. It seems to me that the Yankees could potentially make a killing with draft picks in 2009.

They have their own 1st round pick. They also will receive pick #29 as compensation for failing to sign Gerrit Cole last year.

Then they have free agents Bobby Abreu and Mike Mussina, who I believe are both Type-A free agents. If either of them signed with the Angels, Cubs, Rays, Red Sox, Phillies, Brewers, Mets, White Sox, Twins, Blue Jays, Astros, Cardinals, Dodgers or Marlins, we'd also receive their first-round pick, plus a sandwich pick in-between rounds 1 and 2.

If they signed with any of the other remaining 15 teams, the Yankees would receive that team's second round pick, as well as a sandwich pick. Of course it's possible that Mussina doesn't pitch at all, but I think the odds of getting picks for Abreu is pretty high.

In addition to that, Pudge Rodriguez is a Type-B free agent. I'm not sure about Giambi. If the Yankees offer arbitration to a Type-B and have them sign elsewhere, they would get another sandwich pick between rounds 1 and 2.

Of course, the Yankees would have to forfeit picks depending on which FA they sign. A type-A like Sabathia or Teix would cost them their own 1st rounder. But if the Yankees didn't make a splash like that, and all of these guys potentially left, the Yankees could be sitting on quite a nice stack of draft picks in 2009, including 3 or 4 first round picks and 3 or 4 sandwich picks.

Food for thought.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Picks

Postby BritSox » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:57 pm

The issue here is that the Yankees have to offer arbitration to these players, and at least some of them will accept. If all those guys walk, the Yanks might have some serious trouble fielding a team next year, at least without signing big FAs of their own to replace them. As we discussed in the FA pitcher thread, teams are wising up to the value of draft picks.

Bear in mind, also, that no player has ever received less than his previous salary in arb.

So...

Moose, I believe, will either be back as a Yankee or retire. I suppose I could see the Mets making a play for him.

Abreu is probably going to re-sign in the Bronx. The only decent non-A option seems to be Brian Giles, who I don't think wants to play for the Yankees.

Giambi is going to be a Type B I think- but I think he stays unless the Yanks get Teix, who is a type A.

Pudge is a catcher earning $13m going into his age 37 season. Unless he's got some massive Jones about starting (and with the questions over Hip Hop's health, he could get plenty of starts in NY) he'd bite the Yankees' hands off if they offered arb.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:11 pm

Those are all good points. The only thing I disagree about is Abreu. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like they are planning to re-sign him, and are prepared to move forward with Nady in RF. I do expect them to offer him arbitration, though. If he accepts that and the Yankees get him at 1 season for around $16 million, I think that's a good deal. If he finds another buyer that will give him 3 years, then they'll take the draft pick.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby stevenest » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 am

I love Yankees no matter who they pick and who not ... they rock!
stevenest
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to New York Yankees