Why My League is Switching to CBS Next Year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why My League is Switching to CBS Next Year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why My League is Switching to CBS Next Year

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:22 am

We switched a couple of years ago, and I think I'm glad we did.

Of course, I'm not too happy with CBS at this moment in time because everyone's lineups are all screwed up right now, not containing players that have been picked up since Sunday. They better fix it soon because they're counting tonight's game in the regular season standings and its a very close battle.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:10 am

I played in a CBS league for the first time this year just to see what all the hubub was about.

Stuff I liked about CBS:
1. Email notifications for any and all owner transactions
2. More minor league players in the free agent pool
3. Chat window on stattracker
4. Free stattracker
5. Player search is fast/dynamic and is always at the top of the page
EDIT: 6. More helpful matchup data when assigning lineups

Stuff I didn't like about CBS:
1. How lineups were set, just awkward and required too many clicks (advantage: Yahoo).
2. Goofy analysis about which players to start. They just need to drop their analysis blurbs and use outside sources (like Yahoo does).
3. The "Can't Cut" list was never updated AFAIK. I actually sent their support a couple of queries about when it would be updated, and their first-line support acted like they didn't even know what I was talking about. They finally figured it out, but never did update the list AFAIK.

The thing that concerns me most about Yahoo is that it has appeared to really stagnate over the last few years... very few new features, especially wrt the klunky stattracker. The stattracker itself is almost reason enough to switch to another provider.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:28 am

i strongly prefer CBS...however, i'm not sure if they offer the Yahoo Style H2H. as far as i know their H2H is points based only (but i could be wrong)

for Roto it's far superior
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:00 pm

Bwanna wrote:I played in a CBS league for the first time this year just to see what all the hubub was about.

Stuff I liked about CBS:
1. Email notifications for any and all owner transactions
2. More minor league players in the free agent pool
3. Chat window on stattracker
4. Free stattracker
5. Player search is fast/dynamic and is always at the top of the page
EDIT: 6. More helpful matchup data when assigning lineups

Stuff I didn't like about CBS:
1. How lineups were set, just awkward and required too many clicks (advantage: Yahoo).
2. Goofy analysis about which players to start. They just need to drop their analysis blurbs and use outside sources (like Yahoo does).
3. The "Can't Cut" list was never updated AFAIK. I actually sent their support a couple of queries about when it would be updated, and their first-line support acted like they didn't even know what I was talking about. They finally figured it out, but never did update the list AFAIK.

The thing that concerns me most about Yahoo is that it has appeared to really stagnate over the last few years... very few new features, especially wrt the klunky stattracker. The stattracker itself is almost reason enough to switch to another provider.

Spot-on. I used to play on CBS before Yahoo, but I never really liked the clunky interface before and I didn't play on CBS since. CBS has terrific features, but I don't like information overload either.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:15 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm curious as to how you know that some or all of these won't be offered in Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball 2009? :-?

Yeah, Yahoo! is apparently using Fantasy Football 2009 as a guide to upgrade Fantasy Baseball 2009 in regards to keeper leagues. I emailed them a while ago with some questions and while they aren't commiting to anything, they are trying to respond to the demand for keeper league functionality.

Never played CBS myself, but it was suggested by one or two guys in our league as an option for next year since we are moving to a keeper.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Bwanna » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:49 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I'm curious as to how you know that some or all of these won't be offered in Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball 2009? :-?

Yeah, Yahoo! is apparently using Fantasy Football 2009 as a guide to upgrade Fantasy Baseball 2009 in regards to keeper leagues. I emailed them a while ago with some questions and while they aren't commiting to anything, they are trying to respond to the demand for keeper league functionality.

What specific features do Yahoo football leagues provide now for keeper leagues (beyond the obvious ability to keep a certain players from season to season)?
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Bwanna wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:

What specific features do Yahoo football leagues provide now for keeper leagues (beyond the obvious ability to keep a certain players from season to season)?

Not sure because I don't play in a football keeper. That was just their response, that they were using this football season's keeper functionality as a test for baseball season.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby EWeaver » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:44 pm

I know nothing about Yahoo!'s future plans. I know that, up to this point, their development has been less than impressive. I also think that it might not be worth it to Yahoo! to add a bunch of features that the general fantasy population probably doesn't really care about (think: work leagues, free leagues, etc). And I also assume without knowing that Yahoo! absolutely dominates this market and doesn't really need to change to keep it's market share (and, to be fair, I do think Yahoo!'s layout and ease-of-use are really great, and certainly better than CBS in this regard). Maybe they need to worry about ESPN, just because Joe Sportsfan is on their site so much, but seriously, ESPN sucks at everything, including fantasy.

Neato Torpedo wrote:Yahoo's fixing #3 for '09, according to the Genie. Personally, the only other one I'd have a problem with is #6 because it saves a lot of time and organization. The rest are just aesthetic/interface things that I really couldn't care less about.

I'd argue that tie breakers and playoff structure are definitively not "aesthetic/interface things." But I can understand why some people couldn't care about message board/scoreboard chat, etc..

I'll also add:
(1) On CBS you can make lineup changes up until the first pitch of the first game of the week, rather than needing to make them Sunday night (hey, this can really matter, as you all know!).
and
(2) On CBS you can roll the ASWeek into another week...(which, obviously in ROTO who cares, but in H2H or Points, it matters).

All things considered I think Yahoo! is a great site for a casual league. I think if the league is more serious (and I'd assume most people on the Cafe boards tend to be in "serious" leagues or at least leagues they take seriously), CBS is the way to go. I've come to this conclusion after finally being in a CBS baseball league this year (as well as several Yahoo! leagues that I've been in for many years).

Just my two cents.
[
EWeaver
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BravesGuy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:24 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i strongly prefer CBS...however, i'm not sure if they offer the Yahoo Style H2H. as far as i know their H2H is points based only (but i could be wrong)

CBS does offer the same H2H as yahoo.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:40 am

EWeaver wrote:

I'll also add:
(1) On CBS you can make lineup changes up until the first pitch of the first game of the week, rather than needing to make them Sunday night (hey, this can really matter, as you all know!).

Just my two cents.

yeah...i played in a weekly lineup league and that was uber-lame :-t :-t :-t

BravesGuy wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i strongly prefer CBS...however, i'm not sure if they offer the Yahoo Style H2H. as far as i know their H2H is points based only (but i could be wrong)

CBS does offer the same H2H as yahoo.

cool...i wasnt sure
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers