Why My League is Switching to CBS Next Year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why My League is Switching to CBS Next Year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why My League is Switching to CBS Next Year

Postby EWeaver » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:43 pm

(1) customized tie-breakers (both for regular season and playoffs)
(2) ability to customize the playoff structure (e.g. have the playoffs end before the final week of the season, have playoff rounds prior to the championship last more than one week, etc)
(3) deeper FA pool (you can actually start a minor league call-up before he's pitched a game in the pros...)
(4) significantly better message board (can display as a thread), but especially the scoreboard chat which is seriously awesome
(5) Yahoo!'s refusal to fix their *insane* stat tracker display issue (seriously, who designed it so you couldn't see all the information without scrolling around on the damn java window? [and yes, I use the classic version most of the time, anyway, but still it speaks to their development issues, generally])
(6) CBS leagues last year round, rather than requiring the creation of a new league each year
(7) no funston... :-B

I've been a big Yahoo! guy for a long time, but as my (primary) baseball league gets more and more serious (and as more and more money is put on the line... ;-) ) I just can't stick with Yahoo! and it's foibles and shortcomings any longer.

I can't be the only one who feels this way.
[
EWeaver
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why My League is Switching to CBS Next Year

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:23 am

I'm curious as to how you know that some or all of these won't be offered in Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball 2009? :-?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:34 am

bigh0rt wrote:I'm curious as to how you know that some or all of these won't be offered in Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball 2009? :-?

i played in money leagues on both yahoo and cbs and yahoo would require some SIGNIFICANT improvements to really come close to what CBS offers
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:54 am

Yahoo's fixing #3 for '09, according to the Genie. Personally, the only other one I'd have a problem with is #6 because it saves a lot of time and organization. The rest are just aesthetic/interface things that I really couldn't care less about.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:56 am

ugh, who wants a deeper free agent pool :-P

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:22 am

Snakes Gould wrote:ugh, who wants a deeper free agent pool :-P

Dynasty or deeper keeper leagues.

Last year in my new 20 teamer guys like Price, Maybin, LaPorta, Rasmus, Lowrie, Bailey, Bruce, Wieters, Snider and Longoria were drafted, while guys like Gamel, Aviles, Cahill and Anderson were picked up early in the season. In Yahoo they have to be processed through waivers AFTER their call-up, meaning that people, like me, who actually follow the minors to help our team, lose any advantage.

Deeper pools mean that teams can prepare 2-3 seasons out, especially in leagues with deep rosters. We keep 25 (of 30) which means I can invest a couple of picks in potential studs who won't help for 2-3 years. I held a worthless Wieters all year, and guys like Moustakos, Heyward and Porcello, all a year or more away, are all owned.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:06 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:ugh, who wants a deeper free agent pool :-P

Dynasty or deeper keeper leagues.

Last year in my new 20 teamer guys like Price, Maybin, LaPorta, Rasmus, Lowrie, Bailey, Bruce, Wieters, Snider and Longoria were drafted, while guys like Gamel, Aviles, Cahill and Anderson were picked up early in the season. In Yahoo they have to be processed through waivers AFTER their call-up, meaning that people, like me, who actually follow the minors to help our team, lose any advantage.

Deeper pools mean that teams can prepare 2-3 seasons out, especially in leagues with deep rosters. We keep 25 (of 30) which means I can invest a couple of picks in potential studs who won't help for 2-3 years. I held a worthless Wieters all year, and guys like Moustakos, Heyward and Porcello, all a year or more away, are all owned.

im in dynasty and keeper leagues and we do just fine without the over crowding of the yahoo free agent frenzy. there will never be any rhyme or reason to yahoo's additions and there will always be someone missing. i rather there be a set criteria for yahoo to add a player into the database (i.e. a major league appearance, 40 man roster, etc...) another option i brought up before would be to have a completely different database for minor league players. i thought this was the best way to go, but definitely would take a lot of work.

reason number 1 for switching from yahoo should be the meltdown yahoo had during the last 2 days of the season (no lineup notifications, no live stats, and no stat-tracker). i know yahoo gets their info from an outside service but it is still unacceptable.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby apz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:40 am

I've only played on CBS so I have nothing to compare it to. I hear complaints about Yahoo so why do so many stick with it?
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby abrage22 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:41 am

Your league is smart ;-D . i don't know what people see in yahoo that CBS doesn't have. and yet they all stay on yahoo, people act like you almost have to do yahoo, but why when you have cbs, which has free live scoring, everything you said, better player profiles, ect ect ect
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dracovonborax » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:42 am

i'm not sure where we are going..most talk of ESPN because it also offers a free fantasy game. many in my league have wanted to leave for the the way fa have come up but that was never a big enough reason to make the switch. we are, however, leaving next season for two main reasons. first, stattracker messes up entirely too much for something we have to pay for. ESPN offers a free stattracker as well so why stay with a broken system. the straw that broke the camels back was the season ending without counting the Monday make up game. both CBS and ESPN counted it but not Yahoo. many games were rained out and had to be made up later in the season. if we don't count Mondays makeup game then why should we count ANY make up games?? if it rains and they don't play...oh well, you missed that day. that is the message Yahoo decided to send out by not counting the make up. sure, you should never count a one game playoff but this was a regular season game. i was still able to win my league so i'm not upset because i couldn't get the stats...it's the principle of the matter. just my 2 cents... cya Yahoo.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers