bail out failed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

bail out failed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

bail out failed

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:43 pm

Wow... I am stunned that this was turned down. Honestly, I think that some of these companies should go down along with their executives but still, I thought for sure the bill would pass. I only care because the overall market is affecting my investments but in the long run this is a good thing since it will only flush out the greed.

For the most part, I blame the law makers and regulators for not keeping a tighter control. This looks almost like a repeat of Enron except much bigger.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: bail out failed

Postby jfg » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:50 pm

I am so pleased that this failed. Finally, some common sense! Let em fall and if they're worth anything they'll be bought- a much better plan than giving them a trillion dollars to keep struggling while the dollar depreciates even more. ;-D
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:54 pm

jfg wrote:I am so pleased that this failed. Finally, some common sense! Let em fall and if they're worth anything they'll be bought- a much better plan than giving them a trillion dollars to keep struggling while the dollar depreciates even more. ;-D

I don't know whether it would have helped or not. I don't think anyone knows honestly. However, most people like you and me would never see a dime of that money anyway.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:08 pm

great back-and forth on the bailout basics and alternatives. This is from Friday. Only 10min.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=868490137
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:42 pm

RugbyD wrote:great back-and forth on the bailout basics and alternatives. This is from Friday. Only 10min.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=868490137

Great video Rugby. A little over my head economically but I think the most valuable part was learning that the bailout would have led to a longer, more drawn out recession. No bailout is quicker but with a more painful recession.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:38 am

Having bought a big house and just put our house on the market last week this news was like an ice pick in the bowels. The timing could not have been worse. At first we were sure that the discount that we would have to sell our house at would be a lot less than the discount that we got on our new house. Now we're crossing our fingers that we just get our house sold before the closing on our new house.

Does this seal Bush's legacy as the worst president in history?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:42 am

I still think the bailout will happen. They were only 11 votes short and this is an election year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:59 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Having bought a big house and just put our house on the market last week this news was like an ice pick in the bowels. The timing could not have been worse. At first we were sure that the discount that we would have to sell our house at would be a lot less than the discount that we got on our new house. Now we're crossing our fingers that we just get our house sold before the closing on our new house.

Does this seal Bush's legacy as the worst president in history?

i think he locked in bottom-5 a long time ago, but I don't know if he get to last place based on recent events, the seeds of which were sown before his admin, though he didn't exactly help things either.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:12 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Does this seal Bush's legacy as the worst president in history?

Without a doubt IMO.

Even if he weren't the worst, people will forever link him to the War in the Middle East and the fall of Wall Street.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:54 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Does this seal Bush's legacy as the worst president in history?

To the general public? Probably.

Even though banks loaning more than they could cover, giving loans they knew people couldn't afford, etc, started a very long time ago. Long before Bush was president.

But the general public will blame him since he was in office when the bubble burst.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk