This year, I've learned that... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This year, I've learned that...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: This year, I've learned that...

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:01 pm

Definitely agree with jfg......if you are good at selling your players, somebody will eventually bite.

Also, I learned that you can easily win by studying a target player's career statistics. Case in point I traded for Big Tex the day before he hit 3 HR, and I was amply rewarded. He's a very obvious example, but the deeper you go, the more you'll find that most players play in patterns, and if you realize this and your league-mates don't, it allows you to take more high-risk/high-reward players in the draft.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:55 pm

i learned that in roto, no lead is safe and being in first and confident heading into september is dangerous. you're in first because you probably maximized the stats out of your players, and have no where but to go down. as more managers start giving up on their teams, the 2nd and 3rd place teams easily move past them in many categories and before you know it, they have caught up with you. if you're in first by a wide margin, you can't take it for granted and you still need to be on your toes.

this year i had a 22 pt lead in roto heading into september. i thought i had it wrapped up easily but the guy behind me was gaining points on me off all the dead managers at a crazy pace and overtook me the last week of the season. with some poor luck and bad roster management by me and his good play and incredible luck, he had a 2.5pt lead heading into the final day. it took some incredible turn of events for me to tie him on sunday and we ended up tying for 1st. still, it was a monumental collapse on my part.

in another league, i did the opposite to the guy in 1st. i spent most of the season in 10th place even as late as end of august, but as other managers turned into deadbeats, i easily moved past all of them and took first place on the final week of the season and barely held on. it's amazing how many points a team can move up if you pay attention to the category standings and strive to only play for stats that matter to you.

it's never over till it's over in roto. because so many managers give up before the end, if you're down in the standings, you're never out of it. didn't really realize this until this year. i wish more managers would realize this and stop turning into deadbeats.

oh and i need to stop over-analyzing when it comes down to crunch time. i tend to do this when things get tight and it almost cost me my leagues. i had sat roy oswalt in colorado when he pitched his shutout late this season because he is usually bad at coors. i also sat moyer at home on final saturday because he's not as reliable at home. i need to stop doing that stuff. :-°
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby daullaz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:43 am

I did the same thing in a 19-team roto. Went from the high middle (6th/7th) up to first with a few days left in the season. Wasn't quite able to hang on, but it was a wild ride regardless. So I also learned never to give up on your team.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:38 am

Mugrila wrote:I've learned that I won't be drafting a pitcher in the first two rounds ever again. I used to be very against this, but I gave it a shot this year b/c I've seen it work. I found out the hard way that you become much more vulnerable to an injury to one of your big bats.

Agreed. This year I went 1.Johan-2.Peavy-4.Hafner-6.CBYoung. :-P (Didn't pick in rounds 3 and 5)
Drafting one or even two SP first up can work if you get on the right batters after them.

The other thing I learnt was EVERYONE is expendable. I have played a lot of dynasty, so I have to keep stopping myself having a hoarders mentality in redraft.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:59 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Mugrila wrote:I've learned that I won't be drafting a pitcher in the first two rounds ever again. I used to be very against this, but I gave it a shot this year b/c I've seen it work. I found out the hard way that you become much more vulnerable to an injury to one of your big bats.

Agreed. This year I went 1.Johan-2.Peavy-4.Hafner-6.CBYoung. :-P (Didn't pick in rounds 3 and 5)
Drafting one or even two SP first up can work if you get on the right batters after them.

The other thing I learnt was EVERYONE is expendable. I have played a lot of dynasty, so I have to keep stopping myself having a hoarders mentality in redraft.

I have the same mentality but I've only played redraft. Perhaps I'd be better suited for a keeper league. :-?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:28 am

This year I learned... To not chase saves regardless of pitcher performance.

I certainly couldnt have predicted it - On July 18th I had Hoffman, Sherrill, Percival, Rauch, F Cordero, and Wilson. Sherril, Percival and Rauch completely collapsed on me, and I ended up with a second half bullpen ERA of 5.60 and WHIP of 1.40. I ended up with 15 saves more than 8th, 30 saves less than 10th, so there was no point in chasing saves in the second half. Would have won with a decent bullpen.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:40 am

Also, in H2H, one day can singlehandedly save your season. For me it was Friday, 9/19. 12 runs, 18 hits, 7 HR, 18 RBI, .545 BA, and 1.844 OPS. That one day sealed 3 categories for me over the two week championship round: HR, BA, and OPS.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:54 pm

it's OK to cut ties with players that arent performing. i play in a 10 team 5x5 with only 2 bench spots, so you can only afford to hang onto struggling players so long. in the past i've held on too long because "they'd come around" but this year i was more likely to pull the trigger and held on to win the league by 1 pt

in addition to that, you cant be afraid to cut (or bench...for leagues with deeper reserves) some studs in the final weeks if you need to make up ground in other areas
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby markj11 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:59 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:it's OK to cut ties with players that arent performing. i play in a 10 team 5x5 with only 2 bench spots, so you can only afford to hang onto struggling players so long. in the past i've held on too long because "they'd come around" but this year i was more likely to pull the trigger and held on to win the league by 1 pt

in addition to that, you cant be afraid to cut (or bench...for leagues with deeper reserves) some studs in the final weeks if you need to make up ground in other areas

Good point, I held on to Weeks, Hafner and Swisher for too long and I never could recover my BA.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:24 pm

AussieDodger wrote:The other thing I learnt was EVERYONE is expendable. I have played a lot of dynasty, so I have to keep stopping myself having a hoarders mentality in redraft.

I agree i traded wright for santana right at the trade deadline and won the championship. I never saw myself trading wright but it really balance out my team

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers