Congrats to Mussina on 20 wins! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Congrats to Mussina on 20 wins!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Congrats to Mussina on 20 wins!

Postby noseeum » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Nice cap to a great career. HOF bound for sure IMO.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Congrats to Mussina on 20 wins!

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:38 pm

I'm flabbergasted that Mussina put up 20 wins this year and pitched as well as he did. After last year, I thought he was complete toast. Very impressive and I agree that this season will remove any lingering doubts about his HOF credentials.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:44 pm

It is funny with the career he has had that the W yesterday probably got him in the HOF.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby nsulham » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:46 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:It is funny with the career he has had that the W yesterday probably got him in the HOF.

I thought that as well. Seemed like the only thing he was missing that would put him over the top with the HOF voters was the 20-win benchmark. Now that he has one of those it should make his case easier you would think.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby noseeum » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:48 pm

nsulham wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:It is funny with the career he has had that the W yesterday probably got him in the HOF.

I thought that as well. Seemed like the only thing he was missing that would put him over the top with the HOF voters was the 20-win benchmark. Now that he has one of those it should make his case easier you would think.

It would be a stupid reason to leave him out, but it greatly increases his chances to get it out of the way. He deserves it even if he lost on Sunday, but now it just makes it easier for the idiots who might have hesitated to check his name off.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:53 pm

I really wished the Jays could have prevented him from getting win #19 last week, don't really like Mussina much.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:54 pm

Not to knock Mussina's career, but I see him as the kind of guy who has a long career of being very good, but was never great, and those aren't the kinds of guys I like to see in the hall. I'll take someone with brief greatness over someone with a career like Mussina's anytime. He only stuck out 200 batters four times with a career high of 218. He only had an ERA under 3.00 once, and under 3.40 six times in 18 seasons. He's been really good and remarkably consistent for a long time, but never great.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Mentioned this in GC, but congrats to the Moose, who rebounded amazingly after last year's debacle.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:31 pm

Personally, I don't think he's a HOF pitcher. He's been consistent, yes, but great? No.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby J35J » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Not to knock Mussina's career, but I see him as the kind of guy who has a long career of being very good, but was never great, and those aren't the kinds of guys I like to see in the hall. I'll take someone with brief greatness over someone with a career like Mussina's anytime. He only stuck out 200 batters four times with a career high of 218. He only had an ERA under 3.00 once, and under 3.40 six times in 18 seasons. He's been really good and remarkably consistent for a long time, but never great.

While I agree with most of this I think if he pitches again next year and gets up to 280+ Wins I'd vote him in and I'm usually pretty picky with who I vote in.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers