Manny Trade Revisited - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Trade Revisited

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Manny Trade Revisited

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:51 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:example of what I just said above is Nomar... when did the Boston fans turn on Nomar and why? It had nothing to do with his performance on the field, as evidenced by fans giving him universal support as he recovered from all his injuries. It had everything to do with bitching about money and refusing to play. If you do those types of things, the fans will turn on you, which is exactly what happened with Manny (and Pedro too).

Hmmm... Manny, Nomar, Pedro. Wasn't there a guy named Roger in there somewhere as well? Amazing coincidences for sure.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:35 pm

I thought it was a great deal for both teams at the time, and they have both made the playoffs as expected. People seemed to think that Jason Bay would stop hitting due to the "pressure" in Boston, a little stupid if you ask me.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:38 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:The biggest gripe I had with the deal was that I thought it significantly hurt their chances of making the playoffs this year. Beyond this year, it wasn't a bad deal because Manny was going to be gone anyway and Bay is a very nice acquisition. Because the Sox overcame Manny's absence and still made the playoffs, this trade is less of a big deal to me. That said, Boston and LA are still playing. Let's see how the two sides play out in the postseason.

I hope they play each other in the WS, and Manny wins. That would be an awesome conclusion to this season.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:43 pm

mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:The biggest gripe I had with the deal was that I thought it significantly hurt their chances of making the playoffs this year. Beyond this year, it wasn't a bad deal because Manny was going to be gone anyway and Bay is a very nice acquisition. Because the Sox overcame Manny's absence and still made the playoffs, this trade is less of a big deal to me. That said, Boston and LA are still playing. Let's see how the two sides play out in the postseason.

I hope they play each other in the WS, and Manny wins. That would be an awesome conclusion to this season.

I'd like that. :-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Yoda wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:example of what I just said above is Nomar... when did the Boston fans turn on Nomar and why? It had nothing to do with his performance on the field, as evidenced by fans giving him universal support as he recovered from all his injuries. It had everything to do with bitching about money and refusing to play. If you do those types of things, the fans will turn on you, which is exactly what happened with Manny (and Pedro too).

Hmmm... Manny, Nomar, Pedro. Wasn't there a guy named Roger in there somewhere as well? Amazing coincidences for sure.

Yes - I agree. It's not a coincidence at all. All of them were practically worshiped here in Boston, all of them publicly bitched about money near the end of their time here hoping to get the fans to put pressure on management during their contract negotiations, and all of them lost the support of those fans as a result. Throw in some blatant tanking by Manny, some refusing to play by Nomar, some trash talking by Pedro saying the fans sucked... and their you have it. Pretty simple if you ask me.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:28 pm

nsulham wrote:Now that the regular season has concluded, what are your thoughts now on the deadline deal that sent Manny Ramirez to LA, Jason Bay to Boston and Brandon Moss and Craig Hansen to Pittsburgh? Has the past 2+ months and results therein changed your opinion at all? Interested to hear some responses to this.

Thanks for opening up this can of worms....
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby nsulham » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:37 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
nsulham wrote:Now that the regular season has concluded, what are your thoughts now on the deadline deal that sent Manny Ramirez to LA, Jason Bay to Boston and Brandon Moss and Craig Hansen to Pittsburgh? Has the past 2+ months and results therein changed your opinion at all? Interested to hear some responses to this.

I think it's a valid question considering the number of pages the original thread had when it first happened. People had strong feelings then and I wanted to see if the performances changed any of that.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ukrneal » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Yes - I agree. It's not a coincidence at all. All of them were practically worshiped here in Boston, all of them publicly bitched about money near the end of their time here hoping to get the fans to put pressure on management during their contract negotiations, and all of them lost the support of those fans as a result. Throw in some blatant tanking by Manny, some refusing to play by Nomar, some trash talking by Pedro saying the fans sucked... and their you have it. Pretty simple if you ask me.

I thought so too. All the stars that leave Boston (like many places) get tarnished. They get criticized for asking for money, or not hustling, or being a cancer in the clubhouse, etc. SOme of it is true and some of it isn't. And if you ask if the management made any mistakes or could have done something better, the answer is that they were always looking out for the fans, the players were selfish, we wanted to keep them but they were making unreasonable money demands, etc. So I just think that the teams are being somewhat hypocritical.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:24 pm

At the time, I thought it was a fantastic trade and it's even better now from a Dodger fan's perspective. The Dodgers finally had that game-changing run producer and though Manny from what I know about the horror stories in Boston, isn't a model teammate, I think there's some kind of trickle-down effect that has made the young guys (Martin, Kemp, Loney, Ethier) appreciate the game better.

On the Pittsburgh side, I'm glad to see that Andy Laroche has a full-time gig or something close to it. He obviously was held behind here and with the impatience to compete now, it's great to see him go to a place where he can get some at-bats in and possibly flourish.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:48 pm

nsulham wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:

I think it's a valid question considering the number of pages the original thread had when it first happened. People had strong feelings then and I wanted to see if the performances changed any of that.

Didn't say it wasn't valid, just noting that you're going to get a lot of arguing over semantics here...kind of like in the original thread.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers