Manny Trade Revisited - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Trade Revisited

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Manny Trade Revisited

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Yoda wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Things played out as I expected... Manny played his ass off in LA, just like he did when he felt like it in Boston. The Sox rallied together once he was gone. The big question mark was whether Bay in Boston would be as good as Bay in Pittsburg... he was, and so the Sox made the playoffs.

Manny is so cancerous that he carried the Dodgers into the playoffs.

Yeah, nice of Manny to start caring, playing hard, and being a good teammate again as soon as he kicked and screamed his way out of Boston.

Yep it was all Manny. No one else but Manny's fault. He is such a terrible human being.

Thanks for finally agreeing.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Things played out as I expected... Manny played his ass off in LA, just like he did when he felt like it in Boston. The Sox rallied together once he was gone. The big question mark was whether Bay in Boston would be as good as Bay in Pittsburg... he was, and so the Sox made the playoffs.

Yeah, nice of Manny to start caring, playing hard, and being a good teammate again as soon as he kicked and screamed his way out of Boston.

Yep it was all Manny. No one else but Manny's fault. He is such a terrible human being.

No problem. Obviously if the media reports it then it must be true!!! Especially you know, the front office controlled media.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Yoda wrote:

curt, is that you? !+)
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby WyldStallyn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Yoda wrote:
WyldStallyn wrote:yeah, manny was just an innocent victim who did nothing wrong

:-°

Yep because I've been saying all along that Manny is the innocent victim...

not.

you sure have been talking as if manny had done nothing wrong
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:
Yoda wrote:
WyldStallyn wrote:yeah, manny was just an innocent victim who did nothing wrong

:-°

not.

You are either confusing me with someone else or you have problems with reading comprehension. I've posted numerous times that Manny deserves blame for what happened.

Unlike you and a lot of the other people however, I hold accountability to the ownership, management, media and fans as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Yoda wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:
Yoda wrote:Yep it was all Manny. No one else but Manny's fault. He is such a terrible human being.

No problem. Obviously if the media reports it then it must be true!!! Especially you know, the front office controlled media.

Yeah, the media made up everything. Manny really did play hard all the time, really didn't push an old guy down in the clubhouse, didn't ever fake injuries (his knee looked real hurt the last two months), actually did gave a crap about someone besides himself (just ask all those Jimmy Fund kids and wounded vets at Walter Reed), always pinch hit when Terry Francona asked him to (again, because its all about the team), and certainly didn't do everything in his power to prevent the Sox from picking up his option... you're right, all media lies. All of it. Manny was a great teammate and a great guy.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WyldStallyn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:51 pm

Yoda wrote:
WyldStallyn wrote:
Yoda wrote:

not.

You are either confusing me with someone else or you have problems with reading comprehension. I've posted numerous times that Manny deserves blame for what happened.

Unlike you and a lot of the other people however, I hold accountability to the ownership, management, media and fans as well.

yeah, cause you posted many sarcastic comments in this thread supporting manny doesnt make it look like you find no fault in his actions. and dont make stupid assumptions about me without knowing my opinions
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:05 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Thanks for finally agreeing.

Yeah, the media made up everything. Manny really did play hard all the time, really didn't push an old guy down in the clubhouse, didn't ever fake injuries (his knee looked real hurt the last two months), actually did gave a crap about someone besides himself (just ask all those Jimmy Fund kids and wounded vets at Walter Reed), always pinch hit when Terry Francona asked him to (again, because its all about the team), and certainly didn't do everything in his power to prevent the Sox from picking up his option... you're right, all media lies. All of it. Manny was a great teammate and a great guy.

Again, as usual, you are putting words in my mouth. I never said every report was fabricated or embellished. However, Manny's attitude and behavior have been very consistent during his tenure. He never hustled after hitting a ground ball, he always put himself before the team and acted like a clown at times.

None of that mattered when he was hitting bombs and the Sox were winning did it? And the Sox have been accused of character assassination before so this is nothing new. I expect it.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Field » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:14 pm

Seems like a Win-Win to me. The way both of the teams were going at the time of the trade, I'm not sure that either would have made the playoffs especially with the relative ease that they did...
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:36 pm

Yoda wrote:Again, as usual, you are putting words in my mouth. I never said every report was fabricated or embellished. However, Manny's attitude and behavior have been very consistent during his tenure. He never hustled after hitting a ground ball, he always put himself before the team and acted like a clown at times.
None of that mattered when he was hitting bombs and the Sox were winning did it? And the Sox have been accused of character assassination before so this is nothing new. I expect it.

If by "consistent" you mean "consistently inconsistent", then yeah. Manny actually did hustle at times (like when he came into spring training this year in the best shape of his Boston tenure) and by all accounts he was not a jerk to his teammates and was generally well liked in the clubhouse. When Manny was playing hard and acting like a model citizen, he didn't get any crap from the fans or media.

But contrast that with all the times when he requesting trades, complaining about money and doing things to sabotage the team - those were the times when he got tons of crap from the fans and media (although in reality, he got a free pass from the majority of fans and even a lot of the media even when he was doing this crap). It wasn't until it was clear that he'd sabotage the entire team's success this year because of his contract/option status that his teammates turned on him too and wanted him out of town.

It is not an accurate picture that you're painting that Boston fans (and media) were willing and eager to put up with Manny's behavior when he was hitting well and leading us to titles and then got on his case when he wasn't playing well. It had ZERO to do with his performance at the plate. As you yourself have pointed, he was performing pretty well this prior to the trade, so its not like fans wanted him gone because he wasn't getting the job done. The fans have always put up with his goofball antics and swallowed the lack of hustle - those things weren't the problem. The problem was the trade requests, bitching about money, and doing things that directly hurt the team that the fans wouldn't put up with. And those are not things that Manny did all the time - when he did, he deservedly got the backlash. And when he was clearly shooting his way out of town, then the fans (and media and his own team) turned on him and said "good riddance", as they should have.

Another example of what I just said above is Nomar... when did the Boston fans turn on Nomar and why? It had nothing to do with his performance on the field, as evidenced by fans giving him universal support as he recovered from all his injuries. It had everything to do with bitching about money and refusing to play. If you do those types of things, the fans will turn on you, which is exactly what happened with Manny (and Pedro too).
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers