Manny Trade Revisited - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Trade Revisited

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manny Trade Revisited

Postby nsulham » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:37 am

Now that the regular season has concluded, what are your thoughts now on the deadline deal that sent Manny Ramirez to LA, Jason Bay to Boston and Brandon Moss and Craig Hansen to Pittsburgh? Has the past 2+ months and results therein changed your opinion at all? Interested to hear some responses to this.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Manny Trade Revisited

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:44 am

Manny is so cancerous that he carried the Dodgers into the playoffs.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:53 am

Yoda wrote:Manny is so cancerous that he carried the Dodgers into the playoffs.

Not sure that's the surprise. Everyone knew he was going to hit when he went there, if anything he exceeded even those expectations.

I think the surprise to more than a few is the fact that the Red Sox made the playoffs (which many thought they'd fold without Manny) and that Bay didn't go in the tank in Boston and actually thrived, another misconception most had.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:05 am

No change.
It is still the most perfect result/package that Boston could have got.
A close to .900 OPS OFer (for 2008 and 2009) replacing an alleged malcontent who was about to enter his "guilty until proven innocent" years.
Who would have thought Manny would OPS 1.2+ for the Dodgers? No-one, that's who.
I'd take Bay every day and twice on Saturdays. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:16 am

about manny, it seems like if he wants to, he can be pretty much the best hitter in the league. i wasn't really excited about manny when the trade went down (after hearing about him sitting games out on purpose, pushing an old man down, and his teammates saying he's gotta go; not sure if all that stuff is true) but then i think nobody expected the kind of #'s he put up. manny was like man among boys.

i was a bit surprised bay pretty much replaced manny's production in boston but that worked out. and pittsburg, the players they got were meh imo but at least they're not just rentals. i don't know if laroche will ever live up to his potential.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:23 am

Things played out as I expected... Manny played his ass off in LA, just like he did when he felt like it in Boston. The Sox rallied together once he was gone. The big question mark was whether Bay in Boston would be as good as Bay in Pittsburg... he was, and so the Sox made the playoffs.

Yeah, nice of Manny to start caring, playing hard, and being a good teammate again as soon as he kicked and screamed his way out of Boston.
Last edited by Bloody Sox on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:41 am

Bloody Sox wrote:Things played out as I expected... Manny played his ass off in LA, just like he did when he felt like it in Boston. The Sox rallied together once he was gone. The big question mark was whether Bay in Boston would be as good as Bay in Pittsburg... he was, and so the Sox made the playoffs.

Yeah, nice of Manny to start caring, playing hard, and being a good teammate again as soon as he kicked and screamed his way out of Boston.

Yep it was all Manny. No one else but Manny's fault. He is such a terrible human being.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:43 am

The biggest gripe I had with the deal was that I thought it significantly hurt their chances of making the playoffs this year. Beyond this year, it wasn't a bad deal because Manny was going to be gone anyway and Bay is a very nice acquisition. Because the Sox overcame Manny's absence and still made the playoffs, this trade is less of a big deal to me. That said, Boston and LA are still playing. Let's see how the two sides play out in the postseason.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby WyldStallyn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:55 am

Yoda wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Things played out as I expected... Manny played his ass off in LA, just like he did when he felt like it in Boston. The Sox rallied together once he was gone. The big question mark was whether Bay in Boston would be as good as Bay in Pittsburg... he was, and so the Sox made the playoffs.

Yep it was all Manny. No one else but Manny's fault. He is such a terrible human being.

yeah, manny was just an innocent victim who did nothing wrong

:-°
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:10 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:yeah, manny was just an innocent victim who did nothing wrong

:-°

Yep because I've been saying all along that Manny is the innocent victim...

not.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers