What happens with make up games after Sunday? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What happens with make up games after Sunday?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What happens with make up games after Sunday?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:actually i'm not sure if yahoo counts games past sunday. did last year's SD/COL 1gm playoff count in roto or h2h?

CBS last year counted the one game playoff in the roto stats - I almost lost the championship because of it as the second place guy loaded up on players in that game.

I do think that any and all regular season makeup games should count in roto, but not playoff games.

On a similar note... there's a chance the Red Sox - Yankees games on Friday and Saturday could be rained out. If they make one of those up in a doubleheader on Sunday, I wonder if they'd bother with the other on Monday since the game would be meaningless. How do they usually handle that?

pretty sure i looked at CBS FAQ this year and it says they WONT count...maybe they changed it?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slow Pitch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:18 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:actually i'm not sure if yahoo counts games past sunday. did last year's SD/COL 1gm playoff count in roto or h2h?

CBS last year counted the one game playoff in the roto stats - I almost lost the championship because of it as the second place guy loaded up on players in that game.

I do think that any and all regular season makeup games should count in roto, but not playoff games.

On a similar note... there's a chance the Red Sox - Yankees games on Friday and Saturday could be rained out. If they make one of those up in a doubleheader on Sunday, I wonder if they'd bother with the other on Monday since the game would be meaningless. How do they usually handle that?

pretty sure i looked at CBS FAQ this year and it says they WONT count...maybe they changed it?

If you copy and paste that or leave a link that would be much appreciated! ;-D
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:35 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
Nerfherders wrote:I think there's already a White Sox game that will have to be made up if they are within a half game of the Twins. Not sure who it is against
They wont bother making up the games if they wont matter to the playoffs. Obviously, if the Mets or Red Sox get rained out it might. And theres also the possibility of a 1-game playoff between the Brewers and Mets. It could get ugly.

Regardless of what Yahoo does I might, as commish, allow those games to count and add on to the standings manually. It seems only fair that all 30x162 games count if they are played. I find it funny that nobody seems to know, or even seems to remember what happened last year.

I think its completely unfair to allow those games.

Why should teams w/ Mets/Phillies/White Sox etc get to make up their rained out games, but those w/ Yankees, O's, Red Sox (when TB clinches today) Nats, etc dont get to make the games to get to 162?

Season should end Sunday no matter what....that is fairest route. You cant have some teams benefit by certain teams making up games while others dont get the same benefit.

So we should take the weather on September 25th into account when trading for Beltran and Wright at the trade deadline? :-/ My team has several players that are in danger of being rained out, and I'm in a tight race for MUCH needed $$$. Yahoo doesn't let us replace players for rainouts on the day anyway.

Sunday: I play 6 games while my opponent plays 9.
Monday: I play 12 games while my opponent plays 9.

Either way we both play 18.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Slow Pitch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:46 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:
Nerfherders wrote:I think there's already a White Sox game that will have to be made up if they are within a half game of the Twins. Not sure who it is against
They wont bother making up the games if they wont matter to the playoffs. Obviously, if the Mets or Red Sox get rained out it might. And theres also the possibility of a 1-game playoff between the Brewers and Mets. It could get ugly.

Regardless of what Yahoo does I might, as commish, allow those games to count and add on to the standings manually. It seems only fair that all 30x162 games count if they are played. I find it funny that nobody seems to know, or even seems to remember what happened last year.

Why should teams w/ Mets/Phillies/White Sox etc get to make up their rained out games, but those w/ Yankees, O's, Red Sox (when TB clinches today) Nats, etc dont get to make the games to get to 162?

Season should end Sunday no matter what....that is fairest route. You cant have some teams benefit by certain teams making up games while others dont get the same benefit.

So we should take the weather on September 25th into account when trading for Beltran and Wright at the trade deadline? :-/ My team has several players that are in danger of being rained out, and I'm in a tight race for MUCH needed $$$. Yahoo doesn't let us replace players for rainouts on the day anyway.

No but you know the season ends on Sept 28. Certain teams/players shouldn't get the benefit of make ups on Monday/Tues while others dont just based off of what teams they have players on.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:CBS last year counted the one game playoff in the roto stats - I almost lost the championship because of it as the second place guy loaded up on players in that game.

If you copy and paste that or leave a link that would be much appreciated! ;-D

my bad...it was for any playoff tiebreaker games (i.e. a 163rd game), so i'm guessing any rain makeups would count. i'm in a tight race so i'll have to keep an eye on this
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Slow Pitch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:

You also seem to be talking about a H2H league. That is different. I am only talking about a weekly line up ROTO league.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:37 pm

In head to head I would sya they don't count, the matchup is defined as a time period. I'd say roto is trickier, but the position limits are based on 162 regular season games, so not counting the REGULAR season games (which is what these would be) seems the fairest route.

The one game play-in last year was unfair to count IMO. I know MLB counts it as regular season, but I think its clearly is something else. the regular season is 162 games.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Paco625 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:26 pm

In roto, the make-up games should 100% count, you need 162 games from each team (although MLB may completely cancel some games like Washington/FLordia if they have no playoff implications, and then there is nothing you can do). However, to the extent MLB plays regular season games (with a max of 162), they should count.

My question is how do you think Yahoo is going to handle this in weekly roster leagues? As of now, Yahoo doesn't let you go past Sunday in setting your lineup. Yahoo weekly leagues need to be set by Monday morning. If there are makeup games Monday will you be allowed to edit your roster? If so, Yahoo should have to let us know now so we can pick up players playing for teams that may very well be rained out this weekend.

My guess is that Yahoo will count the stats, but not let you edit your roster. If you have Mets, for example, in your lineup for week 26, then I think their stats will count, but you wont be able to change your lineup for the Monday (or Tuesday) makeup games.
Paco625
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:01 pm

genie, where are you?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Bwanna » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:59 pm

I sent this question to Yahoo help...

Are games that are made-up due to rain-outs after the regular season ends counted in head-to-head or roto leagues? For example, a few games with playoff implications are likely to get rained out this weekend. Those games will need to be made up but they'll have to be made up after the regular season ends on Sunday. Are the stats from those make-up games (played after Sunday) counted in the scoring?

...and got this response a few minutes ago:

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Sports.

I appreciate your inquiry with regards to 1 game MLB playoffs and rain
outs.

Yahoo! Sports only counts MLB regular season games for scoring purposes.
Therefore, if a 1 game playoff is needed to determine the division
winner or wildcard scoring from this game will not be applied to fantasy
leagues.

The game ends on September 28th, the season will not be extended for
rain outs.

Whenever you have further comments or questions, please feel free to
contact me.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Sports.

Regards,

Marshall

Yahoo! Sports Customer Care

I think that pretty much answers the questions about games postponed because of weather -- they won't count.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers