League Expansion: 6 Managers to 8 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

League Expansion: 6 Managers to 8

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

League Expansion: 6 Managers to 8

Postby howardryan6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:04 am

I am currently running a a 6 person keeper league, and next year we will be adding two new members. The current keeper rules allow for 10 Keepers(5 hitters, 4 pitchers, 1 either) and a minor league keeper. I am looking for suggestions on how to conduct an expansion draft. We do not want to change the keeper rules to make an expansion draft happen, but it is not of the question. We have also discussed getting all of keepers like normal, but then we choose a certain amount of guys to protect from the expansion draft. Right now, we are clueless and are looking for some guidance.

So, does anyone have some suggestions for an expansion draft? We want the current owners to be able to keep their strongholds, but we want the new owners to be interested as well. Thanks in advance, all help is appreciated.
Jay Bruce is mah franchize. I love you Chris Davis!
howardryan6 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: League Expansion: 6 Managers to 8

Postby howardryan6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:38 pm

bump
Jay Bruce is mah franchize. I love you Chris Davis!
howardryan6 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Ragoczy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:37 pm

It depends on your talent pool. If you are using an entire league (NL or AL) then you can probably get away with allowing everyone to protect their standard number of keepers, then let the two teams draft so each team loses one player, protect another player, then lose a player, etc. So essentially each team would lose its 11th, 13th, 15th best player. Look at it from that standpoint and if that doesn't make the new teams competitive enough/interesting or makes them too strong then adjust accordingly. Let teams only protect 8 or 9 players before losing a player or don't let teams pull back players.
We're only immortal for a limited time
Ragoczy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:38 am

I think that is a good way to go -- declare keepers and then let the new guys draft from each team, with more players protected each round.

I'd let the existing teams all protect one player (maybe two), then the new teams each pick one, then another round of protection, and another draft, up to a set number (not necessarily ten).

Then, I'd have anyone ending up short in the 'raid' portion of the draft draft from free agents to fill the rosters.

With a 6-team league, each team's keepers should be pretty loaded, even in an only, so the draft shouldn't hurt anyone too much.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Commissioner's Corner