What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Postby mweir145 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 pm

mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:44 am

mweir145 wrote:
noseeum wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
This is case and point.

He's not making a poor argument per se, but he's only making it because the Yankees were victims of it this year. The Yankees have screwed plenty of other teams, namely the Blue Jays, out of playoff births for years. If Hank made this statement in April rather than the day after the Yankees are eliminated from the playoffs, maybe I'd give a little more respect to the argument. But to do this now just shows a lack of class.

I agree in general the guy should shut his trap, but I don't really agree with what you're saying here. Both the Yankees and the Sox have said in past years that it's a tough division to compete in. Even if the Yankees win it, they had to make their decisions based on trying to beat the Sox, Jays, Ray, and Orioles whereas the Angels had to make their decisions based on trying to beat the A's, Rangers, and Mariners. That's really unbalanced, even if you win.

But still, it goes both ways. Yanks and Sox rake in the dough because the stakes are so high every year and their fans are so interested. Even Angels fans know the Mariners and A's stink so they can't pretend to get jazzed about the matchups. I'd rather lose in the East on occasion than be a fan of a team in the West. No offense to you Angels fans. I mean more based on regular season. It's a more entertaining regular season than when you have it all wrapped up early.

Haha, no way. Losing continually in the East absolutely sucks when you know your team would probably compete and win in any other division in baseball. I'd much rather have the Jays be in the Central or West for that reason. Do you really think this October I'm going to be looking back and remembering the 36 games Toronto had with Boston and New York fondly for their entertainment value? Or will I just be pissed that the Jays aren't there for the 15th straight year? Probably the latter.

I can see that as a Blue Jays fan. As a Yankees fan, it hasn't affected me much over the years. Don't mean that as a ribbing. I just mean, I know the Yankees have the resources to compete with anyone out there, so I'm not going to begrudge the fact they have to beat the best to make it. The Jays don't have quite the same resources, so I can see your point.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Thought this was interesting from Buster Olney's chat today http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=22834:

I think the Yankees are going to throw a boatload of money at Lowe, and he will wind up in pinstripes. He is absolutely, 100 percent perfect for them, and they will go the extra mile financially to make it happen.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby bigwords » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:45 pm

Aha, looks like I was right. No arbitration offered to Abreu.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:10 pm

I really have no idea why they didn't offer arbitration for Abreu. What's the worst that can happen? He accept? Then you get a plus bat back in the lineup at a 1 year deal, and can run a platoon of Abreu/Nady/Damon/Matsui/Gardner/Cabrera through LF/CF/RF/DH, or look to trade Damon or Matsui.

And if he leaves, which I think is more probable, you get 2 draft picks. Now they have jack for draft picks except the one they get for failing to sign their last #1.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:16 pm

I can understand a little of the reason why they did it, but I still would have offered it to him.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:45 pm

I've been having this debate with myself. It's probably going to take 5 years to sign Burnett. But what will Lowe take? I think if Lowe takes 3, then maybe he's the better buy. But if Lowe is dead-set on 4 years, wouldn't you rather sign Burnett? They are probably going to get similar $$ per year. I'm confused as to what I'm rooting for. Sounds like the Yankees are going to make an offer to Burnett today or tomorrow.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23 pm

If they sign Sabathia, I think I'd rather not sign either of Lowe or Burnett. I don't like the idea of having so many of the rotation spots tied up for the next 3+ years. They'd have Sabathia, Wang, Burnett/Lowe, and Joba in the rotation in 09 and hopefully Hughes full time starting in 2010. I'd rather have more flexibility to be able to move other minors leaguers into the rotation as they emerge. The big contracts to 2nd tier pitchers never seem to work out anyway. I think there is a good chance that Lowe is mediocre again in the East and that Burnett is hurt. I'd rather find someone to sign for 2 years, though I'm not sure who that is.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ra Ra » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Yankees= AL EAST's 3rd best team IMO
Ra Ra
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:28 am

Ra Ra wrote:Yankees= AL EAST's 3rd best team IMO

Ra Ra= Trolling
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to New York Yankees