What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Postby mweir145 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:24 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
noseeum wrote:
bigwords wrote:Yeah, you're right that the Yankees don't have an option on Abreu next year. Actually, what I meant, though, was that I didn't see the Yankees offering arbitration to either player with the possibility they'd accept. Definitely not Giambi. Perhaps Abreu, but I still don't think it's likely.

I think definitely Abreu will be offered. Giambi, I doubt it too. I think he's relegated to one year deals with whoever needs a DH a la Frank Thomas the last couple years. But he'll get work for sure. But he is lefty, and he's clearly got power left. So you never know.

Thomas got a three year deal after a year similar to Giambi's.

Two years with a vesting option. If you want to be exact.

I think Giambi is someone the Jays might look at this offseason (though I'm hoping they are willing to spend the money to go after Manny or Bradley).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:22 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... mlb,110129

Funny how this moron is just noticing this now. It's been a reality that has caused the Jays to miss the playoffs quite a few times this decade. Atleast maybe the league will actually listen to his calls for a balanced schedule, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Hanks bleating= perfect example why the non Yanks are smilin

Postby dmacblue » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:22 pm

The divisional/playoff system is not fair according to Hank.....Bleater please :-P

There are no Yankee players I dislike (Clemens aside), I have tremendous respect for Giambi for having the balls to admit what he did wrong during a time when plenty of others were just as guilty yet remain silent. Jeter and the others are classy, just as , Giradi ,Cashman & Torre are....

But Hank, HANK!! When you have the largest payroll in the game, dwarfing most others, having a baby fit about how unfair things are doesnt do anything other than make everyone chuckle that bit louder. So, come on back from left field, pick up your binkie and get back in the stroller........................... We'll see ya next spring Pudding ;-D
dmacblue
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hanks bleating= perfect example why the non Yanks are smilin

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:30 pm

What was his reasoning for this? Why isn't it fair?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:35 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:What was his reasoning for this? Why isn't it fair?

I'd imagine it's because the Yankees are 0.5 behind the White Sox for 4th best record in the AL, and because divisional matchups have AL Central teams facing easier opponents than the AL East.

That said....bitch more, Hank. B-)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:36 pm

They should put all the teams in one division and then let the top 2 play for the title. That probably wouldn't be fair for the team who finishes first but you cant please everyone.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:38 pm

It's not that Hank has untrue or invalid points. I will allow that teams with better records routinely miss the postseason while leaders of weaker divisions gain entry. I will also say I believe it is tougher to win a competitive division than to get "hot" for a three-week playoff run

However, it's that the timing of Hank's rant — during the same week the Yankees miss the playoffs for the first time since '93 eliciting few tears from the rest of the universe — that makes for perhaps the sourest grapes we've tasted in some time.

This is case and point.

He's not making a poor argument per se, but he's only making it because the Yankees were victims of it this year. The Yankees have screwed plenty of other teams, namely the Blue Jays, out of playoff births for years. If Hank made this statement in April rather than the day after the Yankees are eliminated from the playoffs, maybe I'd give a little more respect to the argument. But to do this now just shows a lack of class.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby noseeum » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:27 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
It's not that Hank has untrue or invalid points. I will allow that teams with better records routinely miss the postseason while leaders of weaker divisions gain entry. I will also say I believe it is tougher to win a competitive division than to get "hot" for a three-week playoff run

However, it's that the timing of Hank's rant — during the same week the Yankees miss the playoffs for the first time since '93 eliciting few tears from the rest of the universe — that makes for perhaps the sourest grapes we've tasted in some time.

This is case and point.

He's not making a poor argument per se, but he's only making it because the Yankees were victims of it this year. The Yankees have screwed plenty of other teams, namely the Blue Jays, out of playoff births for years. If Hank made this statement in April rather than the day after the Yankees are eliminated from the playoffs, maybe I'd give a little more respect to the argument. But to do this now just shows a lack of class.

I agree in general the guy should shut his trap, but I don't really agree with what you're saying here. Both the Yankees and the Sox have said in past years that it's a tough division to compete in. Even if the Yankees win it, they had to make their decisions based on trying to beat the Sox, Jays, Ray, and Orioles whereas the Angels had to make their decisions based on trying to beat the A's, Rangers, and Mariners. That's really unbalanced, even if you win.

But still, it goes both ways. Yanks and Sox rake in the dough because the stakes are so high every year and their fans are so interested. Even Angels fans know the Mariners and A's stink so they can't pretend to get jazzed about the matchups. I'd rather lose in the East on occasion than be a fan of a team in the West. No offense to you Angels fans. I mean more based on regular season. It's a more entertaining regular season than when you have it all wrapped up early.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rib217 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:04 pm

xx
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:03 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:What was his reasoning for this? Why isn't it fair?

I guess he's decided he doesn't like the heavy divisional schedule now that the Yankees face 3 very good teams eighteen times as opposed to just 1 team.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to New York Yankees