What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Postby bigwords » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:29 pm

I mentioned Holliday. I agree he won't be quite the same player outside of Colorado, but he'll still be great. Considering the Rockies' need at 2b and SP and Holliday's contract status and of course, the Yankees' big budget, I think it isn't out of the question.

If the Yankees committed to moving Jeter out of SS (which I admit is a pipe dream), I think JJ Hardy would be a good target for them. I think they'd need more back than just Hardy, but he'd fit.

I think that Shane Victorino might be an interesting trade target for the Yankees. His teammate, Jason Werth, would also be interesting. Both players are good on defense and give them better options against left-handers. Not suggesting any straight-up trades...just ruminating on players that might be on the market who might fit.

A Cano-for-Kemp trade does make a great deal of sense, though, for both teams.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigwords » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:29 pm

I mentioned Holliday. I agree he won't be quite the same player outside of Colorado, but he'll still be great. Considering the Rockies' need at 2b and SP and Holliday's contract status and of course, the Yankees' big budget, I think it isn't out of the question.

If the Yankees committed to moving Jeter out of SS (which I admit is a pipe dream), I think JJ Hardy would be a good target for them. I think they'd need more back than just Hardy, but he'd fit.

I think that Shane Victorino might be an interesting trade target for the Yankees. His teammate, Jason Werth, would also be interesting. Both players are good on defense and give them better options against left-handers. Not suggesting any straight-up trades...just ruminating on players that might be on the market who might fit.

A Cano-for-Kemp trade does make a great deal of sense, though, for both teams.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:56 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
noseeum wrote:For offense, it's a complete and total mess. I don't see an immediate way out until 2009. These old timers have to be shipped off but their real good prospects are not really far enough along yet. Nady was a good pickup. I think this offseason a trade for some good young offensive talent would be in order.

But who?

Good question. I guess I screwed that up. I didn't really mean offense. I meant just the offensive players. It's really the defense that's the worst and the lack of flexibility. Having all these DH types makes it impossible to move players around during injuries or slumps, which is a drag on the offense no matter what hitters you have.

I think they need to go the way of Billy Beane for next year. Don't try to make a huge trade. If you think you really need a big bat, then sign Teix. For the rest, find some underappreciated talent with positional flexibilty, solid defense, and at least average bats for CF and 2B by trading Cano and some pitching prospects, combined with any potential promotions from within. Maybe it's time to just give Austin Jackson the shot at center or as I said before, put a gun to Jeter's head and get him out there. Honestly, if you have Nady in right, Damon in left and Melky or Jackson in center, it's not the worst outfield in the word defensively. If only Melky could hit. Damon's still above average in left, below if he's forced to play center. Nady's a better RF than LF. If you did get Teix, the corners would be very good, but you'd still be terrible up the middle. To be honest, I don't see any way to make a significant improvement without forcing Jeter out of SS. They need new gloves at both 2B and SS. Cano could probably fetch a good glove and some nice offensive fillers I bet.

I would move Matsui if at all possible for whatever you can get, let Giambi and Abreu go and get the compensation picks, and replace them with young players with good gloves who can play LF/RF/CF/DH. They don't need to be rising studs/back page news pickups, esp if you get Teix. Just guys you never mind putting out there. Arod/Teix plus a random collection of nobodies is a decent lineup after all, but Nady/Arod/Teix/Jeter/Damon/Posada is a pretty darn good one.

That said, if the Dodgers want Cano, yeah, go get Kemp.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigwords » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:13 pm

Totally agree with your assessment.

One correction, however. They won't get any compensation picks for Abreu (they need to turn down his option) and Giambi. You only get compensation picks if you offer a player arbitration and he turns it down. (There might be an exception for free agents signed before December 1.)
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:17 pm

bigwords wrote:Totally agree with your assessment.

One correction, however. They won't get any compensation picks for Abreu (they need to turn down his option) and Giambi. You only get compensation picks if you offer a player arbitration and he turns it down. (There might be an exception for free agents signed before December 1.)

Are you sure? I thought they could do a two step:
1. Turn down the options
2. Offer arbitration

Only problem of course is they could accept the offer.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:18 pm

Abreu doesn't have an option, but Giambi does for $22M. Abreu can get at least a 2 year deal and maybe a 3 or 4 year deal somewhere, so I don't think he'd accept arbitration. Giambi has a $5M buyout, I'm not sure if you can still offer arbitration or not to someone you buy out. :-?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby noseeum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:37 pm

noseeum wrote:

Are you sure? I thought they could do a two step:
1. Turn down the options
2. Offer arbitration

Only problem of course is they could accept the offer.

Looks like you CAN do the two step. See Rowand in 2006:
Option declined

Arbitration avoided
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigwords » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:02 pm

Yeah, you're right that the Yankees don't have an option on Abreu next year. Actually, what I meant, though, was that I didn't see the Yankees offering arbitration to either player with the possibility they'd accept. Definitely not Giambi. Perhaps Abreu, but I still don't think it's likely.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:20 pm

bigwords wrote:Yeah, you're right that the Yankees don't have an option on Abreu next year. Actually, what I meant, though, was that I didn't see the Yankees offering arbitration to either player with the possibility they'd accept. Definitely not Giambi. Perhaps Abreu, but I still don't think it's likely.

I think definitely Abreu will be offered. Giambi, I doubt it too. I think he's relegated to one year deals with whoever needs a DH a la Frank Thomas the last couple years. But he'll get work for sure. But he is lefty, and he's clearly got power left. So you never know.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:25 pm

noseeum wrote:
bigwords wrote:Yeah, you're right that the Yankees don't have an option on Abreu next year. Actually, what I meant, though, was that I didn't see the Yankees offering arbitration to either player with the possibility they'd accept. Definitely not Giambi. Perhaps Abreu, but I still don't think it's likely.

I think definitely Abreu will be offered. Giambi, I doubt it too. I think he's relegated to one year deals with whoever needs a DH a la Frank Thomas the last couple years. But he'll get work for sure. But he is lefty, and he's clearly got power left. So you never know.

Thomas got a three year deal after a year similar to Giambi's.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to New York Yankees