What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Postby Noggy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:51 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Not sure what they could/should do in the outfield. They have Damon, Matsui, Melky, and Nady. Seems they need a CF but there are no real good CF free agents. They could re-sign Abreu, they could sign Manny or Dunn or to play OF/DH along with the above but their OF defense would be just as bad. Not sure - but its not THAT big of a problem. Maybe swing a trade for a CF?

What the Yankees do with the outfield will be the most interesting part of the Yankees offseason to me. The big mistake would be resigning Abreu or signing Manny or Dunn and sticking Damon in CF. It's obvious they will spend money on pitching, but it's a step sideways to bring in guys like CC and/or Sheets only to have probably the worst defensive outfield behind them. They probably bring in a stopgap to play CF, someone like Mark Kotsay to buy time until Austin Jackson is ready. Of course Jackson is an unproven prospect, but I don't see much out there even on the trade market.

They need to find some relief help, but that can be easily remedied by signing Fuentes and a few other FA relievers.

I disagree with this. After a terrible first few games with the team, Marte has pitched well. Chamberlain will probably spend part of the season in the bullpen. I think guys like Veras, Edwar Rameriz, Bruney, Humberto Sanchez and Phil Coke are more than enough of a bridge to Mo. They also have a very good RP prospect named Mark Melancon who I think will be the 8th inning man by next year's all star break. I'm not worried about the bullpen, they don't need to sign anyone.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:33 pm

They need to find some relief help, but that can be easily remedied by signing Fuentes and a few other FA relievers.

I disagree with this. After a terrible first few games with the team, Marte has pitched well. Chamberlain will probably spend part of the season in the bullpen. I think guys like Veras, Edwar Rameriz, Bruney, Humberto Sanchez and Phil Coke are more than enough of a bridge to Mo. They also have a very good RP prospect named Mark Melancon who I think will be the 8th inning man by next year's all star break. I'm not worried about the bullpen, they don't need to sign anyone.

Perhaps, but relief pitchers are a fickle bunch. I don't see Joba heading back to the bullpen, the Yanks aren't going to give Marte $6M next year so he'll be a free agent, Bruney was great this year but was horrendous last year (and is a free agent), Sanchez is a free agent, Coke and Rameriz are rookies so who knows with them, etc. etc. etc.. It's so tough to tell which middle relievers will be good and which will suck from year to year. Plus, I'm not sure any of them are sure-fire setup guys, which is why I can see them going out and giving $7-8M to an experienced setup guy who can be a backup closer in case something happens to Rivera. Fuentes seems like a good fit.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Joba will most likely spend time in the pen again unless he is headed to winter ball. I generally don't like the idea of paying for a reliever though. They seem to be the most easily replaceable unless you are talking about someone like Mo, whom the Yanks already have. They were fine when Joba joined the rotation and I'm sure that they will be fine next year. If there is a need then trade for someone at the deadline but I don't want them to sign guys like Fuentes to big money in the winter.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Noggy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:24 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Perhaps, but relief pitchers are a fickle bunch. I don't see Joba heading back to the bullpen, the Yanks aren't going to give Marte $6M next year so he'll be a free agent

The Yankees have been trying to get Marte back for years ever since they traded him away. They knew before the trade what his option was and I'd be shocked if it wasn't picked up.

Bruney was great this year but was horrendous last year (and is a free agent), Sanchez is a free agent, Coke and Rameriz are rookies so who knows with them, etc. etc. etc.. It's so tough to tell which middle relievers will be good and which will suck from year to year. Plus, I'm not sure any of them are sure-fire setup guys

First of all, Bruney and Sanchez aren't free agents. The former has about 3 years of service time the the latter has like 3 days of service time. And besides, using that logic, pretty much every team needs bullpen help.

which is why I can see them going out and giving $7-8M to an experienced setup guy who can be a backup closer in case something happens to Rivera. Fuentes seems like a good fit.

I guarantee they don't sign someone like Fuentes. It's been proven time and time again that building a bullpen through free agency is a bad idea. A good bullpen is built by collecting enough good arms and a few of them are bound to stick. It worked this year and I see no reason it won't work next season.

Joba will most likely spend time in the pen again unless he is headed to winter ball.

Even if he pitches in winter ball, he won't end up with enough innings to come close to being able to throw 200 next season. He'll spend part of the season in the bullpen next season.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:39 pm

I agree about not signing a reliever on the market. It's a much better idea to let that pan out within the system. The Yankees might have made the playoffs this year if they had Wang. Add Sabathia and Tex to that mix, both young guys that can contribute for years, and we're talking dynasty again. :-P
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:54 pm

They definitely need to sign Sabathia, hopefully to a 5 year deal at top dollar. I can't imagine Mussina not coming back unless he wants to retire, which I don't think he will with how close he is to 300. As far as CF, I'd like for Gardner to at least have a shot. I'm not sure about Abreu, they could slide Nady over there and then play the Matsui/Damon in LF. Teixeira would be nice to have at 1B, but I really think the Angels will re-sign him. I really doubt it happens, but I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Giambi for $20M/2yr(10 per year) if Teixiera isn't able to be signed.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigwords » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:23 pm

Defense, defense, defense. I know the fantasy world doesn't care, but I think it cost them a lot more wins than bad pitching. A lonely voice, I guess.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Sorry but defense isn't the #1 reason why they are not making the playoffs. Injuries cost them the season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:34 pm

bigwords wrote:Defense, defense, defense. I know the fantasy world doesn't care, but I think it cost them a lot more wins than bad pitching. A lonely voice, I guess.

But where are you going to shore up the defense? A lot of key defensive positions are already locked in with sub-par defensive players. Jeter isn't going anywhere and neither are Cano and A-Rod. Damon/Matsui are going to have to play somewhere until after next year. The only potential positions that can be altered are CF and 1B. I'm not convinced that a defensive 1B makes all that big of a difference, and the Yankees have struggled in the past when they tried to put one there as an everyday starter. CF is a possibility. It just depends on who is available. Melky is a great defender, but again, they couldn't deal with his extreme lack of offense. The outfield as a whole has questions all over it.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bigwords » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Even if this team was fully healthy, I don't think they would have made the playoffs. May have been a little closer, but I don't think it would have made up the difference. Plus, in that alternative world, do the Red Sox get an extra couple of months from David Ortiz? Do the Rays get more time from Longoria? etc. Injuries are a natural part of the game and I'm not sold that the Yankees were much harder hit than other teams. Maybe a bit more. But not much.

I'm a Yankees fan. I've watched every game this season. I've also looked hard at the stats.

The answer really is defense. A better defense would mean more to this team than CC Sabatthia.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to New York Yankees