What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Postby dmacblue » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:02 pm

Is it just a case of getting injured players helathy, and remaining so?

I cant believe they will tolerate another back to back missed post season efforts, especially in welcoming in the new stadium.

I think Cash is on the right track in retaining youth and bringing it thru, but I wonder if the 'Hawks' will beat out the 'Doves' and start bringing in high cost free agents in a semi panic?
dmacblue
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: What, if any, 2009 moves do NYY need to make?

Postby Field » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:04 pm

I think they should 'stay the course'. With Hughes, Kennedy, and Joba coming back next year they should be in the mix. The playoffs won't be a lock for any team in the East for the next few years.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigwords » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:20 pm

The Yankees problems go far beyond age and rotation problems. They really have to do something about their fielding, perhaps the worse defense in all of baseball. That means letting go of Abreu and Giambi and doing whatever they can do to trade Matsui/Damon, Posada, and Cano (who has improved his defense but still isn't spectacular). The Yankees are in a tough position, with a lot of players with no-trade clauses and hard-to-shop contracts (Posada) and other players who probably would make the team better with a positional shift (Jeter) but with too much respect to actually do so.

Spend money, fine, but the disappointing season was NOT an accident nor a momentary dip.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Their #1 focus should be CC Sabathia. They might need another veteran pitcher though especially if they don't retain Mussina.

Offense should be fine as I don't think the injuries will pile up like they did in 08.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:24 pm

I think the Yanks are going to be in really good shape next year (unfortunately). They have a ton of money coming off the books ($78M from Giambi, Abreu, Pavano, Pettitte, and Mussina) and can afford to pay a bundle for free agents, which will make NOT trading their studs look smart.

Sign Sabathia and you have a rotation with Joba, Wang, Hughes and Kennedy plus possibly re-signing Mussina or Pettitte. Hughes and Kennedy are more than capable of taking a huge step forward next year.

Sign Teixeira and you have an infield with Cano, Jeter, and Arod. I think Cano couldn't possibly have a worse year than he had this year and is bound for a big bounce-back year in 2009.

Not sure what they could/should do in the outfield. They have Damon, Matsui, Melky, and Nady. Seems they need a CF but there are no real good CF free agents. They could re-sign Abreu, they could sign Manny or Dunn or to play OF/DH along with the above but their OF defense would be just as bad. Not sure - but its not THAT big of a problem. Maybe swing a trade for a CF?

Posada at catcher is a weakness that they'll have to live with, but if that's your worst problem, then that's not so bad.

They need to find some relief help, but that can be easily remedied by signing Fuentes and a few other FA relievers.

I'd be shocked if the Yanks didn't sign at least 2 big ticket free agents. Sabathia and Teixeira are perfect fits as they are young and can justify the 5-6 year deals for $20-25M per year. Scary...
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:30 pm

Not sure if they will go hard after Teixeira. I can see them going after CC and Sheets though.

They still have the 5th best record in the league and are 14 games over .500 in a season which people are claiming to be a major failure. They still have a good foundation and just need a couple of key pieces to get back in the race next year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby neoforce » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:41 pm

To answer the original poster... Was it injuries? That was clearly part of it. Wong/Posada are major injuries. (not that anyone expected Posada to repeat last year) But clearly that was not all of it.

I do like the job Cashman did. When they got Nady/Pudge it really looked like they were set for a run at the playoffs. It just didn't come together.

As Bloody Sox said, there is a lot of money coming off the payroll, so the Yankees now have the flexibility to improve. But still, with Tampa's coming of age this year, and their incredible minor leagues, I think the east is going to be a three team beast for a number of years, and just spending money wont guarentee anything.

My biggest concern is the rotation. I think it all starts from there. I think signing a top notch starter (CC, sheets...) is a must. I'm guessing Mussina comes back, at a very reduced salary for depth. As for Pettitte, I'm guessing that he retires. As a matter of fact, assuming that the Red Sox win or the Yankees lose before his next start, I'm wondering if Andy will ask to skip his last turn. Why not end a career with the game he just pitched last night? What a classy way to end a career.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:43 pm

Yoda wrote:They still have the 5th best record in the league and are 14 games over .500 in a season which people are claiming to be a major failure. They still have a good foundation and just need a couple of key pieces to get back in the race next year.

This is kind of funny, isn't it? Their biggest problem is that they play in the AL East, where even minor weaknesses are magnified, and a team like the Yankees can get bounced out of the playoffs in mid-August (or whenever). That wouldn't happen in just about any other division in baseball.

They just need to let Girardi have another year with these guys, shore up a couple of holes, and get back to it next year. They'll be fine.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Dont get me wrong, money coming off is nice and all but it wouldn't have handicapped them from going after players that they want anyway.

I'm really happy that they didn't trade for Santana. Not that he isn't good but he doesn't seem to be nearly as dominant as before. I'm sure the adjustment period was necessary moving to a major city and the pressure, etc but still, I think CC is just as good at this point. Plus they don't have to give up any prospects.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:41 pm

I think it's important for the Yankees to realize that they're on the verge of virtually starting from scratch if they want to. The only hefty contracts that they carry past 2009 are Rodriguez, Jeter, Rivera, Posada and Cano. That's not a bad group of guys to keep as the core of the franchise, especially when you add in the young nucleus of Chamberlain, Hughes, Kennedy and potentially guys like Jackson.

I think they should definitely pursue Sabathia. He's probably the best FA starter to hit the market in a while and gives the Yankees the true ace they've been lacking since the dynasty run. I also wouldn't be opposed to bringing either Pettitte or Mussina back on a 1-year deal as extra insurance. Also, Chamberlain needs to start. Enough of this bullpen talk.

Offensively, I think they should be okay. I don't think they need Teixiera, but he does fill the one big hole they have offensively and gives them a big switch-hitting bat to hit behind A-Rod. Damon and Matsui's health and production are going to determine how well the team does next year I think. I'm confident that A-Rod and Cano bounce back.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Next

Return to New York Yankees