Potential Trade: Fielder for Cain? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Potential Trade: Fielder for Cain?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Potential Trade: Fielder for Cain?

Postby Old_Style » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:23 pm

It seems like Cain tries to do way too much in San Francisco because he gets very little run support. I think he's actually said this before, or it was reported.
I think the move could positively affect his ratios as well as wins.

I'm not sure how reliable this Bill Bradley guy is, but if Cain gets moved anywhere I think it bumps his value up quite a bit.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Wow, so based on the fact that the Jays supposedly declined a Rios for Cain deal in the offseason, is Alex Rios worth both Prince Fielder and Hardy? :-L
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:25 pm

mweir145 wrote:Wow, so based on the fact that the Jays supposedly declined a Rios for Cain deal in the offseason, is Alex Rios worth both Prince Fielder and Hardy? :-L

Right and you also almost had Lincecum for Rios.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:09 pm

I'd easily take Cain over Fielder in real baseball.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby skjelstrom » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Sep 19 The Sacramento Bee's Bill Bradley reports the San Francisco Giants could trade SP Matt Cain to the Milwaukee Brewers for 1B Prince Fielder, SS J.J. Hardy and another player, according to ESPN's Peter Gammons.

That is what Yahoo says on the subject. They could be trading Cain for Fielder, Hardy, AND another player. I think Cain is good, but man they really want a lot of players for him.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby bigken117 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:06 pm

skjelstrom wrote:
Sep 19 The Sacramento Bee's Bill Bradley reports the San Francisco Giants could trade SP Matt Cain to the Milwaukee Brewers for 1B Prince Fielder, SS J.J. Hardy and another player, according to ESPN's Peter Gammons.

That is what Yahoo says on the subject. They could be trading Cain for Fielder, Hardy, AND another player. I think Cain is good, but man they really want a lot of players for him.

what the Brewers should be doing is showing Bill Hall the exit and sliding Hardy to 3rd to make room for Escobar.

In real baseball, I think the Brewers are better off with Cain than Fielder also.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Yoda wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Wow, so based on the fact that the Jays supposedly declined a Rios for Cain deal in the offseason, is Alex Rios worth both Prince Fielder and Hardy? :-L

Right and you also almost had Lincecum for Rios.

Almost. :,-(
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Zito is God » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:30 pm

J35J wrote:I'd easily take Cain over Fielder in real baseball.

I completely agree, I think Cain (at 24 years old I believe) still has ace potential and I'll take an ace over a masher anyday.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby B-Chad » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:59 pm

I am a Giants fan, and agree I'd rather have Matt Cain over Prince Fielder, but what can't be lost in this is that Gammons says Hardy and another player could be involved. I would love that package for Cain. By getting Fielder, the Giants would likely have to bring Angel Villalona up as a 3rd basemen, and begin on transitioning him back to that position, but he's still a long ways off. Fielder is just the type of power the Giants lineup needs, and Hardy would be a great acquisition to play SS. He has very good power (which I'd imagine would be down a bit playing in AT&T), and is still a slick fielder (though not as slick as he once was from what I've read). The Giants have used a number of early picks on Shortstops over the last few years, but I don't see them producing in the minors, and none of them possess the combination of fielding and hitting Hardy does. If they got Hardy they could also turn around and deal some of the SS they drafted such as Emanuel Burress, Brian Bocock and others. Also, who knows who that OTHER player could be.

I think it's also important to note how well the Giants have brought along pitchers recently. Whether it be developing them, or simply recognizing talent, the Giants seem to be able to bring top pitching along (Lincecum, Cain and Sanchez is certainly coming along). The Giants also have Bumgarner and Alderson destroying low A and A ball talent. If they develop them quickly, they could certainly help offset the loss of Cain in a deal. Noah Lowry is also still around, though I have no expectations for him, he could still be serviceable, and it's unlikely they could get anything for him in a trade.

If the Giants were to trade Cain straight up for Fielder, I wouldn't be pleased, but if they land Hardy and another player, consider me very happy.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers