Potential Trade: Fielder for Cain? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Potential Trade: Fielder for Cain?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Potential Trade: Fielder for Cain?

Postby Field » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:57 pm

Sep 19 The Sacramento Bee's Bill Bradley reports the Milwaukee Brewers could trade 1B Prince Fielder, SS J.J. Hardy and another player for San Francisco Giants SP Matt Cain, according to ESPN's Peter Gammons.
- Per KFFL

I thought this was quite interesting especially since we aren't officially in the off-season just yet AND the Brewers are still in the WC hunt. The Brewers traded Laporta for CC who projects to be a middle of the line-up type of bat, would they really trade Fielder as well?
Last edited by Field on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Potential Trade: Fielder for Cain?

Postby jfg » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:00 pm

I think the Brewers management drank a ton of MGD about a week ago and woke up thinking it was November.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Field » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:01 pm

jfg wrote:I think the Brewers management drank a ton of MGD about a week ago and woke up thinking it was November.

Indeed, quite odd timing. I wonder if Gammons will elaborate on this report tonight.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby markj11 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Reading the title I was thinking the Giants would have to throw in something extra besides Cain straight up for Fielder? :-o
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:22 pm

It's long been speculated that Fielder was going to be dealt this offseason. I know they worry quite a bit about his frame and the long-term effects of carrying so much weight. I remember reading around the time of the CC deal that this year was their one shot for a while. After this year they planned to let CC and Sheets go (4 picks) and potentially move Fielder and Hardy to restock the farm system. I like Cain a lot, but I have to think he's got more service time then they would want a guy to have if they're in rebuilding mode.

I'd also agree that I'd think the Giants would have to include more than Cain to land Fielder and not the other way around...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Old_Style » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:30 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:It's long been speculated that Fielder was going to be dealt this offseason. I know they worry quite a bit about his frame and the long-term effects of carrying so much weight. I remember reading around the time of the CC deal that this year was their one shot for a while. After this year they planned to let CC and Sheets go (4 picks) and potentially move Fielder and Hardy to restock the farm system. I like Cain a lot, but I have to think he's got more service time then they would want a guy to have if they're in rebuilding mode.

I'd also agree that I'd think the Giants would have to include more than Cain to land Fielder and not the other way around...

He's still pretty young though (24). Why wouldn't they want to bring in a guy like Cain, who is still fairly young and has some experience under his belt?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:45 pm

Call me crazy but I'd rather have Cain over Fielder in real baseball.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:It's long been speculated that Fielder was going to be dealt this offseason. I know they worry quite a bit about his frame and the long-term effects of carrying so much weight. I remember reading around the time of the CC deal that this year was their one shot for a while. After this year they planned to let CC and Sheets go (4 picks) and potentially move Fielder and Hardy to restock the farm system. I like Cain a lot, but I have to think he's got more service time then they would want a guy to have if they're in rebuilding mode.

He's still pretty young though (24). Why wouldn't they want to bring in a guy like Cain, who is still fairly young and has some experience under his belt?

Well he's a good option if you're trying to move offense for pitching. But thinking about it practically, if they're really tearing things down a rebuilding, there are probably better options. Cain is under contract through 2010 with a vesting team option for 2011. So, if they tear the team down and start over, the only way Cain is a part of it is if their window reopens within 3 years. Certainly possible, but maybe not likely.

Of course if they're not planning on a full-scale rebuild, maybe it makes sense. If they think Gamel and Escobar can replace Fielder and Hardy fairly easily, then maybe something like this makes some sense. I'd still have to think they'd want more back than just Cain though.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:55 pm

Cain has a 4-year $9MM deal through 2010 with a club option for 2011 (6.25 MM)
Fielder and Hardy are in arbitration and thus will cost A LOT more than cain for the rest of his contract.

I'm not really sure how i'd feel about a trade like this, but its not as clear that the giants should be paying more once u look at contract situations imo.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:03 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Cain has a 4-year $9MM deal through 2010 with a club option for 2011 (6.25 MM)
Fielder and Hardy are in arbitration and thus will cost A LOT more than cain for the rest of his contract.

I'm not really sure how i'd feel about a trade like this, but its not as clear that the giants should be paying more once u look at contract situations imo.

Plus Cain is still a potential ace. Brewers still have a relatively young team and having Cain/Gallardo would be awesome for them.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers