Prior at #4 anymore? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior at #4 anymore?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jpgretzky15 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:01 am

Yes I've been tracking the ESPN avg. picks...and I see that Vlad is drafted, then Helton, then Prior on average. I don't always go by these picks though, although they are great guidelines usually...I consider myself a wiser manager than post people who draft (who doesnt? :)) Example...Zito at average of 64 or something...that's crazy Zito will contend for the Cy Young this year, I believe...

Prior falling to the 2nd round? Wow, I definately don't expect that to happen in mine, or any draft...That's very surprising, he's still a 1st rounder, just a later one.
Let's Go Yankees!
jpgretzky15
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:37 am

I'd probably have consider Prior too. The 'injury' doesn't SOUND too threatening. Helton was very consistent last year but there's some sort of 'weight gain' issues that kind of scared me off him, more b/c he said that he boosted himself eating junk food. Maybe he was kidding but well, you know. Beltran is purportedly batting 2nd, which will hurt his RBI/ power type of numbers.

The big thing though is that ALL of the top pitchers have some sort of niggling injury type of questions and, even w/ the ankle, Prior is in a lot better shape than the rest of them and will provide more K than Halliday. If he's 'merely' as good as he was last year, he will be dominant w/ the increase in potential run support he appears to have. There will be another 1B who can hit on the way back up. Prior went #10 in our draft as I figured I could get him w/ #14 on the way back. No such luck.

There was an interesting article about Prior in Chicago Magazine (not a sports publication...) lastt year that went into detail about how he adjusts his metabolism to pitch better and stuff. He's a gamer (watch out Barry...!!) and is young, healthy AND can get perhaps some 'guidance'/ pointers from Maddux to boot. Also, divisionally, the Astros AND Cards offenses both appear a bit shakier, even if their pitching is improved.

I think he will be a stat machine this year and I was disappointed not to get him this year. The guy who picked him got Thome though, perhaps I can swap Sexson to him, while he's nervous? hmmmmm.....

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Andy1234 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:32 pm

If you were going to take Prior at Number 4 before the Injury came out. I still would take Prior at number 4, because He'll be fine.

I have Vlad ranked #4 and Prior #5, if you want who I would pick.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby xeifrank » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:51 pm

I would take

4) Helton
5) Guerrero
6) Beltran

before Prior too... even before his achilles.

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Jury » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:24 pm

I'd definitely give Prior a lot of considering before thinking about taking a slugging stick at #4.

The difference between a round 1 and round 8 pitcher is a lot greater than the diff. between a round 1 and 8 hitter.

ie. Prior vs. Kip Wells OR Helton vs. Juanzo/Jenkins

In my opinion pitching wins :-b
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:31 pm

i'd take prior guerrero, helton.... if i had the #1 pick i'd take prior, so it's kind of a moot point.

it's been nice to nab vlad late in the 1st round, as he's not top 5 anymore, so it seems.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers