Gettin' ready for the Hail Mary - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gettin' ready for the Hail Mary

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gettin' ready for the Hail Mary

Postby djack909 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:48 pm

I usually win one league a year with a Hail Mary. This year it looks like I won't need one. But, you may. If you run your innings down, you can use 7 starters to use up your last 1/3 inning one your last day. Last year I got 27 innings for my last 1/3 inning. So you need to look ahead at the schedule and stockpile staters for that day. Last year, Tuesday was the best day. It also works with OFs. Play 3 OFs even if you only have 1 OF play available.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gettin' ready for the Hail Mary

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:33 am

Yup - I do this almost every year - but this year it looks like I'll be unable to do so as I'm in a dogfight in WHIP and ERA with the guy in second place (who's only one point behind me). However, I may stockpile the pitchers anyhow just to prevent others from doing this and if it looks like I can grab a couple of extra points in Ks I may take the risk.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:47 am

Bloody Sox wrote:Yup - I do this almost every year - but this year it looks like I'll be unable to do so as I'm in a dogfight in WHIP and ERA with the guy in second place (who's only one point behind me). However, I may stockpile the pitchers anyhow just to prevent others from doing this and if it looks like I can grab a couple of extra points in Ks I may take the risk.

Adding players you have no intention of using is considered cheating by most league rules...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby WyldStallyn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:00 am

is this in yahoo? seems a little stupid that they let managers do this.
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:37 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Yup - I do this almost every year - but this year it looks like I'll be unable to do so as I'm in a dogfight in WHIP and ERA with the guy in second place (who's only one point behind me). However, I may stockpile the pitchers anyhow just to prevent others from doing this and if it looks like I can grab a couple of extra points in Ks I may take the risk.

Adding players you have no intention of using is considered cheating by most league rules...

Most? None of the major websites have that as a rule by default, and of the many leagues I've played in there is nothing preventing this. I don't understand why there would be either. How do you enforce it? Where do you draw the line? Obviously you can pick guys up speculatively and stash them on your bench waiting for them to get hot, so what's the difference? Also, why shouldn't I be able to prevent another team from dropping his entire pitching staff next Saturday to grab 10 starters for the final day to get an extra 50 innings?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Old_Style » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:56 pm

1. All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.
2. No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.
3. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).
4. No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
5. No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/baseba ... es-26.html
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Old_Style wrote:
1. All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.
2. No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.
3. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).
4. No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
5. No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/baseba ... es-26.html

So again I ask - where to you draw the line and how do you enforce it? If I grab 4 starting pitchers for next Sunday that I might use depending on the circumstance, but that I also don't want another owner to use - is that cheating? As a commissioner, I abhor "spirit of the law" rules that are impossible to enforce because you just don't know.
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Old_Style » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:16 pm

I'm just saying.... :-)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:29 pm

Old_Style wrote:I'm just saying.... :-)

I hear you - and I'm not trying to be argumentative... I just have never understood the complaint against "playing defense" as a strategy, especially when the rules don't clearly define it and the websites don't generally enforce it (CBS will actually let you set positional min/max counts and how many guys you can have in reserve, so that would enforce it to some degree).

Here's another circumstance: let's say I'm in first place overall and I'm ahead of the pack in saves by a good margin, but the guy in second place overall is trying to make up a few points in saves. Is it cheating if I continue to grab as many potential closers/save guys as possible and put them in my active lineup even though I don't need the saves? That would be a case where I'd strictly be trying to prevent another owner from advancing his game, which I see absolutely nothing wrong with.
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Old_Style » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:37 pm

No, I don't see anything wrong with that. The rules are somewhat open-ended and loophole-ish.

I'd rather get back on topic though. :-D
I was looking at possible starters for the final few days of the season, a few days ago, and would like to get a hearty discussion going on the strategy and some likely pick ups.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers