Is Shealy FINALLY ready for the Bigs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Shealy FINALLY ready for the Bigs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Shealy FINALLY ready for the Bigs?

Postby StringerBell » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:35 pm

Could it be possible that Ryan Shealy could hit 30 HRs in 2009 and bat around .280?

He has developed pretty late---but is looking pretty nice since his last call-up? Is he the Royal 1B of 2009?
.....ain't nobody got nothing to say about a 40-degree day. ...
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Shealy FINALLY ready for the Bigs?

Postby B-Chad » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:05 pm

It appears to be possible. That said, he'll have his work cut out for him, and could find himself sharing time at 1st base next season. He's raking right now, but he's also fighting to make the Royals 40 man roster for next year, since he's out of options. The Royals also promoted Kila Ka'aihue who is younger, and put up much better numbers in the minors this year (his time was split between AA and AAA). It's tough to imagine scenarios with both playing since Bill Butler is the DH and likely won't get any time in the corner OF ever again. I'll post a short version of the numbers for Shealy and Ka'aihue below, as well as links to their full stats at MILB, I hope this helps.

Shealy 400 AB's
53 runs 22 HR's 65 RBI .283 BA .879 OPS 55:93 BB:K

Good numbers, but nothing that I'm thrilled with considering I'd expect a decline in those numbers adjusting to the bigs. (though he's on a HR binge right now, his BB:K in the bigs is a concern of mine).

He's only hitting .250 against Lefties and fairing much better against righties hitting .292
Home/Road splits are pretty close
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=434626

Ka'aihue 401 AB's (287 AA, 114 AAA, below will be his combined stats, they are split on the link)
91 runs 37 HR's 100 RBI .314 BA 1.085 OPS 104:67 BB:K (that's not a typo)

GREAT numbers, granted 2/3's came in AA, his AAA numbers were tremedous with the only real noticeable difference being his BB:K (24:26, still tremendous at about 1:1)

What will make it difficult to platoon him with Shealy is that his numbers are so tremendous against both righties and lefties.

.316 BA against righties
.314 BA against lefties (numbers only in AAA, so take them for what they are, power greater against lefties, though he hit 6 HR's against RHP and 5 against LHP, the 5 came in just 35 AB's).
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=451500
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Is Shealy FINALLY ready for the Bigs?

Postby J35J » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:09 am

I'm not buyin it....he's on a nice roll but I remember all too well how awful he's been up until this point. I absolutely hope he has figured it out as we need some power in our lineup something fierce but its going to take quite a bit before I believe in what Shealy is sellin!

With that said, he'll likely get the starting 1B job out spring next year so he'll get his chance. I'm going to guess Kila will start the year in AAA and move up when/if Shealy fails.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Return to Baseball Leftovers