Thoughts on these OF for next year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on these OF for next year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on these OF for next year

Postby Rhydderch » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:14 pm

I've been riding some of these guys lately, and wonder how people rank them for 2009

1. Hunter Pence
2. Elijah Dukes
3. Jason Werth
4. Andre Ethier
5. Shane Victorino
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on these OF for next year

Postby J35J » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:55 pm

I like Pence, Ethier and Victorino all pretty equal. If I knew Ethier would get the # of AB's Pence does I think he'll be more consistant and would put up the same power numbers. Victorino is up there too but he's a different cat, you take him if your looking for speed, obviously.

Hunter Pence
He's very inconsistant, and his BB/K shows that likely won't change. I projected him out pretty good this year and I probably won't expect a whole lot more from him next year.
Andre Ethier
He may turn out to be that .300/30hr guy yet. :-) I'd like to see how they want to use him next year. It'd be nice if he could get his 600ABs or close to it. He also is a better hitter against lefties than he's shown this year....at least his career numbers tell me he is. So there is room for improvement there.
Shane Victorino
He's got more home runs in July than he does in all the other months combined this year. Other than that he is what he is... .280+/12/60/90/30+ Nothing wrong with that.

These guys are notch below, IMO. I'd take Dukes over Werth just because the potential is higher and since these guys will likely go late enough you can gamble on the potential.

Elijah Dukes
A world of talent but he isn't a professional. Who knows what he's going to do on and off the field from week to week. Add in a bit of a injury risk and I'd be nervous to pick him around where he will likely go. I'll pass on him if the hype machine starts up.
Jason Werth
He'll be 30 years old next year and has never sniffed 400 ABs in a year until this year. He's a career .266 hitter with poor BB/K totals. He'll be a late round flyer for me and there will likely be those that take a shot at him in the mid rounds.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:58 pm

J35J wrote:Andre Ethier
He may turn out to be that .300/30hr guy yet. :-) I'd like to see how they want to use him next year. It'd be nice if he could get his 600ABs or close to it. He also is a better hitter against lefties than he's shown this year....at least his career numbers tell me he is. So there is room for improvement there.

I'm not quite as bullish that Ethier will ever pan out to be a year-in, year-out 30 HR hitter, but it's hard to say when he's never really had a chance to retain a full-time role whenever he hit into a cold snap.

I don't think the Dodgers will shell out on Manny and I don't see the Dodgers finding takers for Juan Pierre to open up a permanent spot for Ethier. The answer is clear as day now that Ethier is ready to string together a good season and they'll have to find that job for him. He'll make a good mid-to-late draft pick, I think.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby 9Romo9 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:13 pm

I really, really like Dukes...That man is the complete package and could easily be a 20/20 guy. They did a great article on him in Sports Illustrated. The ball just comes off this guy's bat differently than everybody else. Only down side is that off the field he's a big risk. Get this...when he was a kid, his father went to jail for shooting a crack dealer after he sold his mother bad crack. I don't see an injury risk with him though.

He's the only one from that list I can speak intellectually about.
9Romo9
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:18 pm

9Romo9 wrote:I really, really like Dukes...That man is the complete package and could easily be a 20/20 guy. They did a great article on him in Sports Illustrated. The ball just comes off this guy's bat differently than everybody else. Only down side is that off the field he's a big risk. Get this...when he was a kid, his father went to jail for shooting a crack dealer after he sold his mother bad crack. I don't see an injury risk with him though.

He's the only one from that list I can speak intellectually about.

So you're saying the apple doesn't fall far from the tree? :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rhydderch » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks for the insights.

I think Pence is still the crap shoot here. Not sure what he can do.

Dukes I keep picking up this year, and he has hit well (in the second half). He just keeps getting hurt.

Ethier has been good since Manny, and Victorino is a soild guy.

Werth is unknown, but wow has he looked good. And hitting between Rollins and Utley or Utley and Howard vs lefties is a sweet set up.
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 9Romo9 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:52 am

I overlooked Werth on that list. That kid is great. And you're right...with that lineup, look for him to do big things. I think I'd rather have him over Dukes

haha, and yes the apple does not fall far from the tree
9Romo9
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:14 pm

I think Pence is clearly the best option in there followed by Victorino if he can stay healthy.

I'm not a huge fan of Ethier either.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Field » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:50 pm

Yoda wrote:I think Pence is clearly the best option in there followed by Victorino if he can stay healthy.

I'm not a huge fan of Ethier either.

I agree with this. Dukes is intriguing, but really have no idea what to expect from him next year. I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion this off-season about him. Werth and Either don't excite me.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers