Choo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Choo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Choo

Postby greenandgold » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:49 pm

This guy has been killing the ball lately, does anyone know if he will spend the 2010 season in Korea learning to kill other things? Is there any hope for him getting his service waived or just blowing it off altogether?
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Choo

Postby Old_Style » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:09 pm

He's going to have to serve two years in the military. I'm not sure if he'll have to serve the full two, but I don't see how his military time gets waived altogether.

The only way (I think) his military time would've lessened, was if the Korean national baseball team medaled in the Olympics while he was on the team.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:33 pm

if he plays in 2009 WBC and they make it far, there's a good chance that he doesn't have to go to military. that's what happened last time for the players, although choo doesn't seem to participate in these international tournaments. i believe the last time their incentive was to make the quarterfinals to receive military exemption.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Old_Style » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:39 pm

I forgot all about the WBC. :-S I'm pretty sure that's how Hee-Seop Choi avoided the military time.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:43 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:if he plays in 2009 WBC and they make it far, there's a good chance that he doesn't have to go to military. that's what happened last time for the players, although choo doesn't seem to participate in these international tournaments. i believe the last time their incentive was to make the quarterfinals to receive military exemption.

I believe the incentive last WBC was to reach the semi-finals, which they did. From what I have read, the Korean government is not going to give military exemptions for the WBC anymore. The Asian Games at the end of 09 in Hong Kong seems to be the only competition Choo could play and get an exemption, but Korea would have to win the tournament. Choo could also apply for American citizenship, but he would have to give up his Korean citizenship to become an American, which he does not want to do at the moment. All in all, military service is a sensitive issue in Korea. Celebrities do go to military service to set an example for everyone else and if Choo does not get an exemption through a tournament and still finds a way to dodge the military service, it will probably be frowned upon by some people.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby baseballspliffs » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:05 pm

Looks like Choo's got 2 outs left: the Asian Games and Citizenship, I wouldn't want to be this guy right now.

Japan will be looking to avenge their loss to S.Korea in the Olympics, and they will field a very strong team(think Ichiro, Daisuke, H.Matsui). Taiwan also has a strong team, and winning the tournament won't be easy.

IIRC, Cha Seung Baek (SD) avoided a similar situation by applying for citizenship in the U.S. (Choo and Cha are teammates from college)
baseballspliffs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Zito is God » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Is there ANY chance this guy plays next year? I have him in my keeper league and his close-to-.950 OPS cannot be regarded as a fluke...

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:51 pm

Zito is God wrote:Is there ANY chance this guy plays next year? I have him in my keeper league and his close-to-.950 OPS cannot be regarded as a fluke...

He must serve two years in the military starting no later than 2010. He hasn't elaborated on his plans, regarding if he'll start in 2009 or 2010.
I suppose it's 50/50 right now.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:23 am

I would expect him to play in 2009 (not that I have any information to back this up).

The way he's going in the second half, I'd expect a .900ish OPS out of him next year with 20-25 HRs and possibly 100 RBI.
He could be had on the cheap in drafts with the military thing hanging over his head.

Any normal person would be trying to get out of military service if they were paid to play baseball, you'd think Choo would be no different.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:12 am

been a great addition for my team over the past month :-)
reminds me a lot of Hideki Matsui esc.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers