AIG Bailed Out; Jim Cramers Says: "We're Communists Now!" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

AIG Bailed Out; Jim Cramers Says: "We're Communists Now!"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: AIG Bailed Out; Jim Cramers Says: "We're Communists Now!"

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:57 am

The ban on short sale of financial stocks is puzzling. I think this will only artificially pump up their prices until Oct 2 when the ban is supposed to be lifted. What are your thoughts?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:52 am

I never bought anything, and the couple I was watching were all over the board.

:-[
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mugrila » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:54 am

Yoda wrote:The ban on short sale of financial stocks is puzzling. I think this will only artificially pump up their prices until Oct 2 when the ban is supposed to be lifted. What are your thoughts?

The whole thing is a mess. Short selling obviously had a substantial impact putting downward pressure on the stocks, but I don't know that a 2 week outright ban on it will do anything positive. I guess we won't know for sure what impact any of the government actions will have for several months.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:22 pm

Bwah ha ha :-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Mugrila wrote:
Yoda wrote:The ban on short sale of financial stocks is puzzling. I think this will only artificially pump up their prices until Oct 2 when the ban is supposed to be lifted. What are your thoughts?

The whole thing is a mess. Short selling obviously had a substantial impact putting downward pressure on the stocks, but I don't know that a 2 week outright ban on it will do anything positive. I guess we won't know for sure what impact any of the government actions will have for several months.

All it is doing is temporarily stopping the bleeding. They need to just let the system flush this out. Companies like WAMU and GS and Wachovia or whoever else deserve the same fate as Lehman if they made bad decisions.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mugrila » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Yoda wrote:
Mugrila wrote:

All it is doing is temporarily stopping the bleeding. They need to just let the system flush this out. Companies like WAMU and GS and Wachovia or whoever else deserve the same fate as Lehman if they made bad decisions.

I agree, either everybody comes out now and gets it out of the way, and the economy can rebuild, or we can drag this whole debacle out longer.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:49 pm

Seriously though, as soon as they lift the short sale ban, wouldn't everyone (those that would have been shorting right now) be selling at that point and cause even more havoc?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mugrila » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:18 pm

I think the idea is that in two weeks there will be more information regarding the government bailout plan, less confusion, and therefore less panic.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:25 pm

I did sell off all my positions today to take some profits. I may buy back on Monday.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Simulacrum wrote:Image

Bwah ha ha :-D

Man, no one else loves this? At least he didn't the whole fleshlight. :-D
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk