Question for those who know the Angels... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question for those who know the Angels...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question for those who know the Angels...

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:18 pm

Hey guys, I'm in a sports finance class at school, and we have a project where we assume the role of GM for an MLB team, and have to write up a team analysis (basically summing up team strengths and specific areas of need). I'm not an Angels fan, but was assigned to the team. I know a decent amount about the club, but I'd like to get some feedback from you guys as to what the Angels team needs are? I know there aren't probably many holes, and that the Angels have a deep farm system, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, ignore pending free agency, its about what the needs would be if the season started today with this current team.
disgruntledjetsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Question for those who know the Angels...

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:14 am

That's a tough assignment since the Angels are probably one of the best run organizations in baseball right now. I'd say one thing they definitely need is a young outfielder with power potential. Vladimir Guerrero is getting old and brittle and they need someone who could fill his shoes if he got injured (I think he might be a free agent at the end of the 2009 season also, so that stresses their need even more) One solution that I would say could be exchanging one of their many good young starting pitchers for a that outfielder, something like say Nick Adenhart/Joe Saunders for Jeff Francouer or somebody (terrible example, I know). That would be a good example of swapping a strength for a weakness.

edit-
strengths-developing young pitching
Joe Saunders
Jered Weaver
Nick Adenhart
Jose Arrendondo
Jordan Walden
Nick Green

strengths-catching prospects
Mike Napoli
Jeff Mathis
Hank Conger
Ryan Budde
(all have good potential)

other strengths-developing and enforcing old fashioned baseball fundamentals in all of their players such as defense, bunting, baserunning, etc... all players in the Angels organization are brought up with these fundamentals.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:06 pm

That was very helpful, thank you Masterx.
disgruntledjetsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:10 pm

the key element that you should really stress though is the Angles ability to enforce the learning of baseball fundamentals in the mind of every single player in their organization. That's really what makes their team so special.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:19 pm

Nice timing. Here's an LA Times article this morning about how Angels owner Arte Moreno isn't intent on bumping up their $120M+ payroll to afford Teixeira and K-Rod namely this offseason.

Full article

Angels might have new look in 2009
Owner Arte Moreno says payroll will not be much higher, which means decisions must be made on free agents.
By Mike DiGiovanna, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
September 17, 2008
OAKLAND -- Even if the Angels win the World Series in October, it will be impossible, based on the financial parameters laid out by Arte Moreno on Tuesday, to keep this entire team together for 2009.

That much became clear when the Angels owner emerged from two days of organizational meetings here with no plans to boost next season's payroll significantly beyond its current $123 million.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby stumpak » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Here is Sickel's reveiw of the Angels top prospects, which may be helpful. The other thing I would say is that neither Mathis or Naopli (or both together as a composite) is a very good MLB C. I would be surprised if they were league average, and this is more a case of the Angels have multiple non-optimal solutions than it is them having a surfeit of good Cs. Conger, however, has the ceiling to be a truely good MLB C if all breaks right.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/7/2 ... els-top-20
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers