So where are you all drafting Timmy in '09??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So where are you all drafting Timmy in '09???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: So where are you all drafting Timmy in '09???

Postby AllDay » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:49 pm

I might think about it in the 4th round - but he'll probably be gone by then.

I agree with the assessment that you can find good pitching late in drafts. I'm not against using one pick in rounds 3-6 on a SP if you really are high on a guy.

I usually take my 2nd SP in round 9 or something unless good value pops up that I can't resist.

If you really like a couple of the top SP options then I wouldn't be afraid to take one of them early. If you find yourself liking a lot of them over position players then I think you should re-evaluate your rankings.

On the other hand I've heard stories of people who know people who draft SP with every early pick and they crush their leagues every year. I don't know if I could draft a team like that and be competitive. I've never tried it.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WyldStallyn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:00 pm

AllDay wrote:On the other hand I've heard stories of people who know people who draft SP with every early pick and they crush their leagues every year. I don't know if I could draft a team like that and be competitive. I've never tried it.

that just seems way to risky to do. you would need to nail every late round offensive pick you make and avoid SP which underperform. what if you took mcgowan, wang, bedard, beckett, verlander, harang....

i guess its possible to do. maybe something to try in a league i dont care about next year
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:05 pm

I tend to draft based on value regardless of position. I do like taking an ace early though as it makes me feel better about my team after the draft. When people go all hitting, I pick up pitchers and vice versa. I also don't mind reaching a bit for guys who I think will be a superstar. Picking potential superstars that no one else expects is the most rewarding feeling.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers