So where are you all drafting Timmy in '09??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So where are you all drafting Timmy in '09???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: So where are you all drafting Timmy in '09???

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:21 pm

Wow... just... wow... :-°
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:50 pm

Actually - I can see bigwords point. If you're in a keeper league where you can keep Timmy for a 25th round pick, then it is likely that other stud players will similarly be able to be kept for low-round draft picks, so it really depends on the league rules and situation - who you can get and what you have to sacrifice. As he said, if Hamilton could be kept for a 25th round pick, then trading Hamilton for Timmy would be somewhat of a wash.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Settle down now fellas. Both sides have an argument, but the problem with your idea, bigwords, is that you arent going to get as good a value for lince in the 25th in a trade. Lince in the 25th is an obscene value, so if you are trading you would need to get obscene value in return, and I just dont see that happening, maybe if you really really try hard to find equal value you could, but why bother? And I would never never never do Lince 25 for Hamilton 12 and C. Lee 25. NEVER.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 765)

Postby bigwords » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Well, to get into a discussion of "would you do X trade? would you do Y trade?" is besides the point and belonging in a different thread.

I think we can all agree that Lincecum in the 25th round is a phenomenal, fantastic value. But whether it's your best option is a different story. I see comments like the one that rjforlife makes and it confirms my belief that you can get a HELL OF A LOT for Lincecum in the 25th. He says he wouldn't trade Lincecum for Josh Hamilton and Cliff Lee. So turn that around, and imagine that if he was in your league and you had Lincecum in the 25th, it might be possible to trade Lincecum to rjforlife and not only get Hamilton and Lee, but possibly even more.

It may seem like a no-brainer when you have someone like Lincecum in the 25th, but I actually think it may even be a tougher decision deciding what to do than merely figuring out whether you'd take him as the #1 pitcher, the #3 pitcher, the #6 pitcher, and so on...Tough decision, in my opinion, and you're lucky to have it.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:36 pm

[Sidebar]I totally understand both sides of the above argument, and to think that trading a guy is out of the question simply because of his value seems strange to me. There are always circumstances that come about that force one to make deals you wouldn't think you'd make.

Case in point: I play in a contract keeper league. I owned Ryan Braun for $2. He would have cost $3 next year and $4 the year after. I'd say he was the most valuable asset in the league. I was offered several deals for him but kept turning them down because he was "untouchable" in my eyes. Then in July, it was obvious that I was a top two team but I didn't think I was a first place team. Dealing Braun (and Gallardo and Cueto) netted me ARod, Peavy, Bay, and Rivera. Did I absolutely hate giving up Braun? Yes. Was it worth it to me to pull the trigger on that deal? Absolutely. With 10 days left I have a 16.5 point league and I don't think I'd be there without the trade.[/Sidebar]
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:21 pm

Trading in-season is completely different than trading in the off-season in preparation for the draft. Keeper leagues limit the number of players that you can keep and value is far more important than anything else. It probably doesn't get any better than keeping Lincecum as a 25th pick.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:49 pm

Yoda wrote:Trading in-season is completely different than trading in the off-season in preparation for the draft. Keeper leagues limit the number of players that you can keep and value is far more important than anything else. It probably doesn't get any better than keeping Lincecum as a 25th pick.

There wasn't any mention of whether the trading would be done in-season or off-season. ;-)

But I agree. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigwords » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Depends on the format of the league. But yes, that would definitely affect trade discussions.

Also, I'd probably take Hamilton or maybe even Quentin over Lincecum. Finding great pitching in the draft -- even in later rounds -- is a lot easier than finding superstars in later rounds. I might take Hamilton in the early double digit rounds or Quentin in the 20s over Lincecum at round 25. Yup, Quentin over Lincecum.

And no, Yoda, you don't need to opine over how crazy you think that is. Your disagreement over anything I have to say is quite assumed.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:06 pm

OK I'll just agree that you are wrong all the time. :-D ;-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigwords » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:23 pm

Back to the question that heads this topic, though, I wouldn't consider drafting Lincecum until the 6th or 7th round. I just don't consider his VORP in most leagues to be worth it. Goes for most top pitchers too. I also believe in the fickleness of pitchers in general.
Last edited by bigwords on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers