Ned Yost fired - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ned Yost fired

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ned Yost fired

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:21 pm

I thought that he would be the first manager to get fired this year.

I lost all faith in him when he allowed Gallardo to continue pitching with a torn knee.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:29 pm

knapplc wrote:I'm sure this isn't the first time a team with postseason aspirations has pulled a move like this... but I don't recall it. Anyone else think of a team tied for a postseason berth firing their manager with two weeks left? This is amazing.

You have to wonder what that backstory is. There HAS to be a reason for this timing.

Yes, they're still tied atop the wild card standings, but they look like a shell of the team that was once 6 up. One of Yost's bigger assets at times (loyalty to his players) has become a big detriment down the stretch. He has been too lax, hasn't gotten on or benched any of his players. He continues to trot out massive underacheivers like Gagne, Riske, and Bill Hall in big spots. Will Sveum be any different? I don't know, maybe not.

The only reason I can think of regarding this timing is that it could be one last ditch effort to light a fire under these players. It's basically saying that their crappy play cost Yost his job, now what are they going to do? Looking at this roster, I would say there's 2-5 players or so whose job for next year is nearly 100% safe -- Braun, Gallardo, and most likely Bush, Parra, and Torres. Anyone else could end up traded (Fielder w/Gamel taking over, Hardy w/Escobar taking over, Hart with one of many OF prospects taking over), or just flat losing their job (Weeks, Hall, Cameron). This is a message that no job is safe, and that anything short of the playoffs will be viewed as a failure. I agree.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:42 pm

May this will shave 10 innings off of CC's use for the rest of the season before he becomes a Yankee. :-)
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby noseeum » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:18 pm

I don't really get the, "Yeah, this guy's terrible, but why fire him right now?" position. Because he's terrible! That's why. It's ALWAYS the right time to fire a terrible manager. And Yost is the worst.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:26 pm

noseeum wrote:I don't really get the, "Yeah, this guy's terrible, but why fire him right now?" position. Because he's terrible! That's why. It's ALWAYS the right time to fire a terrible manager. And Yost is the worst.

The problem is that he has been terrible for the last 2 years, what changed now that pushed ownership/GM over the edge?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:21 pm

Ned Yost fired

Whaaaaaaa?

AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:16 am

i guess everyone can blame the philadelphia phillies.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby markj11 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:01 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
noseeum wrote:I don't really get the, "Yeah, this guy's terrible, but why fire him right now?" position. Because he's terrible! That's why. It's ALWAYS the right time to fire a terrible manager. And Yost is the worst.

The problem is that he has been terrible for the last 2 years, what changed now that pushed ownership/GM over the edge?

Because they paid a big price to rent CC. Also, Sheets will probably be gone next year. Like someone else posted, they could be semi-rebuilding next year so the time is now.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:

Management finally accepted that he actually does stink. Once you realize that, there's no time like the present.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stevethumb » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:52 pm

i agree w/the above poster..a yost infection does indeed stink

the brewers will be the wild card anyway since CC and sheets will be pitching 6 of their final 12 games
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers