Postby ferris182 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:58 pm

Who to pick up?

I have LeCroy currently.
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:01 pm

It's such a gut call. Both have a lot of potential... I guess I'd go with Hall because he's got less competition and is more likely to be able to play out any slumps. But either way, really, is fine.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby drunkenmonkey » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:17 pm

Martinez, no question.

Cleveland has already said they'll probably be playing him some at first base this year. That shows what kind of confidence they have in him. And he'll get a lot more at bats because he'll be able to take a rest from the rugged catcher position and still play first.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby bell » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:19 pm

drunkenmonkey wrote:Martinez, no question.

Cleveland has already said they'll probably be playing him some at first base this year. That shows what kind of confidence they have in him. And he'll get a lot more at bats because he'll be able to take a rest from the rugged catcher position and still play first.

Not to dispute you, but why would Cleveland play him at first when they already have Brossaurd and Hafner?
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby drunkenmonkey » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:29 pm

According to CBS.Sporsline:

"The Akron Beacon Journal says while Victor Martinez will start at catcher, he also might see some playing time at 1B. 'Victor is coming in as the No. 1 guy,' Eric Wedge said. 'It's his job to lose. A realistic scenario would be that he catches 105-115 games.'

Analysis: Martinez is expected to have a breakthrough year, and playing 1B would only increase his versatility in Fantasy leagues."

I'm not making this stuff up. It's a good possibility, and I think his upside is much greater than Hall's.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby John Bonzo » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:46 pm

drunkenmonkey wrote:According to CBS.Sporsline:

"The Akron Beacon Journal says while Victor Martinez will start at catcher, he also might see some playing time at 1B. 'Victor is coming in as the No. 1 guy,' Eric Wedge said. 'It's his job to lose. A realistic scenario would be that he catches 105-115 games.'

Analysis: Martinez is expected to have a breakthrough year, and playing 1B would only increase his versatility in Fantasy leagues."

I'm not making this stuff up. It's a good possibility, and I think his upside is much greater than Hall's.

I agree on Martinez over Hall. I guess we'll see how many games he plays at first, but i predict that it wont be enough to get him yahoo eligibility.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Clevelander » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:48 pm

it wont be much 1b but a definite steal for a catcher underdog this year...as i said in another post...he will not be on waivers by may...
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Martinez

Postby aclapsaddle » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:08 pm

Martinez is the better player and you already have LeCroy. But Martinez does have competition to be a starter something Hall really doesn't have.
aclapsaddle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cantalupe » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:54 pm

I would go with Martinez. He was only a rookie last year and I expect him to breakout this year.
Cantalupe

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers