H2H drama stories - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H drama stories

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: H2H drama stories

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:16 pm

Easily led the league in HR, RBI, K/9 and SV all season long. Going into yesterday those respective numbers were 1 (!), 12, 4.88 and 3. I dominated the regular season and I was repaid with a complete dookie of a semi-final. Lost 11-7 and accumulated over 80% of my offensive output in every category yesterday.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby ownthecourt47 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:37 pm

I played the number 1 seed in my league who lost 4 series all year and was ahead of second place by 20 games. My team struggled and was 7th or 8th most of the year and I ended up making a late push into the 5th seed. On Sunday I was down 10-5 and my team put up this stat line on Sunday:

17/38, 12 runs 17 hits, 7 homers, 14 rbi's, 0 sb, .447 avg, .475 ops, 1.026 slg

David Wright and Markakis both hit two homers while Ryan Howard, Magglio, and Mclouth each hit one. My opponent went 2 for 28 hitting and I was able to take hits, avg, and ops on the last day. Annibal Sanchez, Scherzer, and Zito were able to give me the lead in IP, tie in K's, and the lead in K's per 9 which gave me the huge upset for a 9-6 win despite the other team having Z's no-hitter.
ownthecourt47
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wright2Reyes » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:50 pm

I was trailing for most of the week, but thanks to 4 HR's(2 by Markakis and 1 by Soriano and McClouth each) I was able to beat my opponent 6-4.

The #1 seed still alive!!! :-D :-° ;-D
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:59 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:See if you can top this:

In one of my leagues, I happened to be down 7-4 going into today. Now, it was a really close one and the score kept flip-flopping day to day. There were days I was up 7-4 and even in midweek, I was down 9-3. Going into Saturday, I climbed out of it to go up 6-5 but found myself down in this one. True to form, the score flip-flopped left and right.

David Wright opens up with 2 HR's and we're all square in homeruns. Ryan Howard comes back for the other guy and he slugs a homerun.

For me, Roy Halladay pitched OK in a lousy loss and Max Scherzer was solid. The other guy had Aaron Cook and he was gangbusters for a ND. Felix Hernandez was about to sully that ERA/WHIP lead though and the same with Justin Verlander. When Verlander gave up a few runs in the 8th inning, somehow his slim lead in WHIP was left intact.

Tex hits a homerun and the other guy's 4-run lead is no more and the AVG/OPS leads were mine. To break a 4-4 tie, Magglio Ordonez hit a homerun to break ties in runs and homeruns for a 6-4 lead my way.

Unfortunately, the other guy had Pat Burrell and he hit a homerun and scored 2 runs to re-tie HR's and go one up in runs. Maggs scored a run to tie the week at 4-4, with 4 categories tied. There was a chance in the 9th inning for Ordonez to come up again, but the Tigers go 1-2-3 and Ordonez is left on deck. Because of the ERA tiebreaker, the other guy's rolling on with the 4-4 tie victory. It sucks to lose my title defense that way, but I won this league last year and I don't mind.

Holy moly, just to follow up here, I found out this morning that I won the league semifinal I lost the 4-4 tiebreaker on. It turns out Yahoo miscalculated the WHIP and didn't take into account Verlander's 8th inning. Therefore, I move on with a 5-4 win to advance to my 3rd straight H2HWS California final and make it a threepeat!

Here's how close it was:

L.A. Thrashers - 31 R, 10 HR, 25 RBI , 3 SB, .288 BA , .955 OPS; 4 wins, 2 saves, 70 K, 2 holds, 4.43 ERA, 1.43 WHIP
SF Giants - 31 R, 10 HR, 32 RBI , 4 SB, .277 BA, .834 OPS, 3 wins, 2 saves, 43 K, 3 holds , 4.26 ERA, 1.45 WHIP

Funny thing was I beat the other guy (Giants), 8-4 in last year's championship with 4 categories decided by very slim margins. Now, I've been in my fair share of tight matchups but none more nervous than the 3 semifinals I was in yesterday.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby haymarket » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:04 pm

I had drama in two leagues. Both are semifinal matchups in 5x5 leagues.

In the first league I was the 5 seed playing the one seed. This guy had just destroyed everyone all year. My team was fighting for a playoff spot all year thanks to a draft of Harang, C Young (OF), VMart, Carlos Guillen, Delmon Young, Rich Hill, and Gallardo. Pretty much a disaster of a draft. I go into Sunday down 5-4. He has the offensive categories locked up and we are tied in K's. I stayed up till 3am on Saturday to get the choice of the Sunday starters off the WW. (My opponent has done this all year. He has over 200 moves.) I grab Sowers vs. KC and Scherzer to go along with Vasquez. I would have grabbed more but I needed to start all of my relievers to hold onto my 1 save lead. The games start on Sunday and Sowers is a wreck. Gets a 2 strike count on everybody but only gets 2 K's. My opponent has Bush, Cook, and Zambrano. Bush starts out well but only ends with 4 K's and Cook pitches great but only K's 2. The Dbacks game starts and Scherzer was awesome but I'm worried because the White Sox game is still in delay. Finally, after checking the radar a hundred times the game starts. Vasquez is dominant, Scherzer does his thing and I've got a 16 K lead going into the night. Opponent still has Zambrano, Torres, and Jenks, but the no-hitter is not enough and I took down the one seed. I was so excited.
My other league doesn't have such a happy ending. Started the day tied 5-5, but with a FAIRLY comfortable lead in ERA and WHIP. Wright and Markakis go off to give me the win in runs and HR's. I'm pretty happy at this point. Unfortunately, my opponent has 3 starting pitchers for the day. Greg Maddux, Aaron Cook, and Carlos Zambrano. 24 IP, 0 Era, and .46 Whip. Yeah, I'm playing for 3rd now.
haymarket
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheGinner » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:02 pm

In my semi-final, my opponent had to drop D. Haren for the battle. Fortunately I beat him and I'm highest on waiver, so I can add him to my championship arsenal.
TheGinner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:48 pm

My drama ended early in the day with ARod's GS and Markakis' 2 homers. I had the pitching cats wrapped, unless my MRs had serious meltdowns, and the best he could do was tie me in saves. He had steals and avg, and we were tied in HR and RBI. (No runs or WHIP in this AL-only.)
MCab needed 2 HR and 6 RBI for him to catch me in the nightcap.

On to the finals 6-2! ;-D
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby shmolex » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:52 pm

I lost yesterday in the semifinals yesterday 8-7 due to my opponent's batter getting an intentional walk to win walks by 1. Is that not the worst way to lose?
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:27 pm

I am going to continue my rant by noting that Ortiz, Soto and D. Lee have all gone yard today, providing more HR and RBI than I had in the first five days last week. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate H2H :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm in first place all season long. This week I play the 3rd seed guy. I'm beating him all weak by a hefty margin (11-5 all week). I wake up this morning and I lose the match up 9-6 somehow. He somehow came back and snatched the runs, hits, RBI and total bases categories all on sunday. The Cubs-Astros series definitly didn't help me as I had A-Ram Berkman and Pence on my team.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers