H2H drama stories - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H drama stories

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: H2H drama stories

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:39 am

Man man man....mine is truly a tale of heartbreak...

I'm struggling all week long, can't get the hitting going, can't pitch well..luckily my opponent was doing equally as bad...But I was holding on all week, maintaining that lead, until sunday...my pitching blew up, I lost WHIP, my batters were outplayed, I lost runs...

So, It was a tie game heading into the night caps...he had yahoo's stupid ERA tiebreaker and I really thought I was done..THEN, I realized Prince Fielder is playing in the double header tonight...It totally slipped my Mind that I would have a few more ABs...my opponent had Polanco and Granderson also in a double header...

Prince Fielder does nothing for two at bats...I'm almost out the door and then BAM..ITS A LONG FLY BALL TO DEEP RIGHT FIELD, HOME RUN!!!! I'm going crazy folks like I'm Jack Buck...and now all I have to do is keep Grandy/Polanco quiet and tying up HR would give me a one point victory.....of course, about an hour later, Granderson goes yard and destroys my lead just like that...I couldn't believe it, it looked like a pop up off the bat...It hasn't really even sunk in yet...15 minutes before the week usually ends, and Granderson hits a HR off a lefty AFTER I had gotten a HR from Prince...I was teased and then stomped on...

Final Score- 8 to 8...I HATE YAHOO TIEBREAKERS...#1 seed should advance..hell, even a season series tiebreaker would suffice over picking an arbitrary category because it's "cool"...I guess by that stupid logic, I should emphasize categories according to their tiebreaker system in my 09 drafts!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:44 am

jcook3127 wrote:Final Score- 8 to 8...I HATE YAHOO TIEBREAKERS...#1 seed should advance..hell, even a season series tiebreaker would suffice over picking an arbitrary category because it's "cool"...I guess by that stupid logic, I should emphasize categories according to their tiebreaker system in my 09 drafts!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!

I said it before in another thread that had to do with the Yahoo tiebreaker rants, but I also don't like the higher-seed tiebreaker (just as bad as the ERA tiebreaker). However, I think a season series tiebreaker would be better than either one.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:47 am

I don't see what the problem with an ERA category tiebreaker is, and I just lost because of it. You just have to try to place an emphasis on winning that category more than the others. It's certainly better than having something like wins or strikeouts be it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:57 am

i had a matchup in which, hits, hr, rbi, runs, hitter's k, avg, and ops all changed leads in the afternoon. ops and avg changed at least 10 times and for a good 4 hour stretch, while about 10 guys were playing, k's was seperated by 1. it was so stressful i couldnt walk away from the computer :,-(

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheGinner » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:04 am

jcook3127 wrote:Prince Fielder does nothing for two at bats...I'm almost out the door and then BAM..ITS A LONG FLY BALL TO DEEP RIGHT FIELD, HOME RUN!!!! I'm going crazy folks like I'm Jack Buck...and now all I have to do is keep Grandy/Polanco quiet and tying up HR would give me a one point victory.....

I love the "Going Crazy" Jack Buck reference! O:-) O:-) O:-)
TheGinner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby chris8 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:35 am

One of the semi-finals in the H2HWS (England South League) was actually decided on the second tiebreaker! (That's AVG, for those who don't know!)

First time in several years of playing that I have ever seen a tie be settled like that!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:40 am

16 teamer.............

"Friday's" 9-3-2 deficit turns into a very close 8-3-3 lead after "Saturday".

Use my favourite trick of benching all my pitchers in an attempt to keep the tie-breaking ERA.Which in the end wasn't really required.
Close 9-4-1 victory, heading into second consecutive final, and because of the way the league is set up, B.Phillips DL is my current 2B. :-D :-S
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:13 am

#1 seed in an 8 team AL only that has Holds and Net Saves as cats...Jenks/Dotel both blow up, i tie in Holds, lose NSV by 1, and lose ERA and WHIP to lose 6-5 after leading quite handily all week :-t
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:32 am

I was the #5 seed going into this week's matchup against the #1 seed. Survived and injury-riddled season and limped to the finish line the last week of the season. Was hitting a combined .185 for the week going into Friday night but I was winning all the pitching cats except for saves. Score is going back and forth all weekend as my hitters start to turn it on and then we arrive at Sunday afternoon. Sox have just beaten the Jays for the third time over the weekend so I'm excited for that and watching the end of the Yankees game hoping for the Rays to lose as well. Longoria hasn't done anything all day and I need a save out of Rivera to tie my opponent up. Anyway, Yanks go up 8-4 and it looks like Rivera is not going in. I'm crushed. I came so close and then, low and behold, my man Longoria gets a base hit with two outs and Rivera is coming in for the one out save! I tie my opponent (who happens to be my brother and commish of the league) and go on to the championship game via ERA tie-breaker!

FWIW, I've been playing Fantasy Baseball for several years now but this is the first year I've made it to the championship game...also happens to be the first year I've used the Cafe all year long for updates and info...coincidence, I think not! ;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:04 pm

ataraxia wrote:Let me post my story here, because I just want to vent. You guys can do it too.

Anyway, I was losing 10-5 coming into today, but pretty close in all categories. Markakis, Teixeira, Wright combine for 5 homers, actually bring it down to 8-6. I was down 1 in wins, and up 1 in losses. I didn't check last night about tomorrow's starters, and forgot to start Vazquez (but had Verlander starting). Brett Myers pitches a CG, gives me 8-7. I'm just hoping for Verlander to not take the loss...didn't happen. Score stayed 8-7, and I'm knocked out of the winner's bracket, where the best I can do now is 3rd place.

The thing is that if I had started Vazquez, I would've won due to the tiebreaker rule (I'm leading in ERA). The guy I was facing this week also happened to be the guy I beat last year in the playoffs, again by 8-8 and winning via tiebreaker. It's left me terribly frustrated knowing that it was due to my negligence that I had lost...but oh well. Life goes on. WAH WAH WAH :~(

I would also like to thank Markakis, Tex, and Wright for the offensive explosion yesterday to vault me into the finals. Yesterday was easily one of the most stressful fantasy days of my life...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers