Pickens Plan; Getting Us Off Foreign Oil - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Pickens Plan; Getting Us Off Foreign Oil

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pickens Plan; Getting Us Off Foreign Oil

Postby bleach168 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Madison wrote:
bleach168 wrote:The cost of the war was originally predicted to be $50-60 billion. Iraq currently exports about 1.5 million barrels of oil a day. Experts believe that's only half of their potential.

3.0 million barrels a day at $30 a barrel adds up to $32 billion a year.
3.0 million barrels a day at $90 a barrel adds up to $96 billion a year.

So, at the onset of the war, it made perfect sense that it was for oil.

But once reality set it, and it seemed the benefits weren't going to outweigh the costs, I think it became political.

What were we going to do? Overthrow them and make them a new state? :-B

This wasn't about oil. :-b

Bilateral oil trade agreements.

If it makes you feel better, I had a professor who totally disagreed with me on this too. lol
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:18 pm

bleach168 wrote:Bilateral oil trade agreements.

If it makes you feel better, I had a professor who totally disagreed with me on this too. lol

Nah, it never really affects me if people agree or not. I personally believe it's silly to think this whole deal in Iraq was for oil, the logic behind that assumption just makes no sense. If someone agrees with that, cool. If not, that's cool as well. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:21 pm

Madison wrote:
bleach168 wrote:Bilateral oil trade agreements.

Nah, it never really affects me if people agree or not. I personally believe it's silly to think this whole deal in Iraq was for oil, the logic behind that assumption just makes no sense. If someone agrees with that, cool. If not, that's cool as well. ;-D

It's what the rest of the world thinks. :-D

Apparently the American flag has changed to a picture of Uncle Sam driving the stars and stripes into a barrel of oil.
(If anyone wants to draw that that would be sweet :-) )
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby JTWood » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:58 pm

If oil really is the next strategic commodity, then a war for oil is a war for national security.

As much as I don't like it, it's the history of nations to fight wars like that.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:29 am

AussieDodger wrote:It's what the rest of the world thinks. :-D

I thought the rest of the world thought we are a bunch of crazy cowboys with the craziest one of the bunch as president? :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:57 am

getting this back on track, the concept of energy independence is one of, if not THE worst economic and geopolitical ideas ever. Discuss.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:44 am

RugbyD wrote:getting this back on track, the concept of energy independence is one of, if not THE worst economic and geopolitical ideas ever. Discuss.

I know where you're going with this. And I know you feel the free markets will solve the problem.

But when Peak Oil hits, everything is just going to stop and we will literally be living in the stone age. The transition to a new fuel source may take over 20 years according to the Hirsch report. Eventually, we're going to have to make the switch. It's just a question of whether it is going to be gradual or abrupt.

The solution for a gradual transition couldn't be simpler. Just raise taxes on oil and gasoline and keep raising them over time to make sure the price continues to go up. Then allow the free market to come up with whatever alternative is deemed best.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:17 am

bleach168 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:getting this back on track, the concept of energy independence is one of, if not THE worst economic and geopolitical ideas ever. Discuss.

I know where you're going with this. And I know you feel the free markets will solve the problem.

But when Peak Oil hits, everything is just going to stop and we will literally be living in the stone age. The transition to a new fuel source may take over 20 years according to the Hirsch report. Eventually, we're going to have to make the switch. It's just a question of whether it is going to be gradual or abrupt.

The solution for a gradual transition couldn't be simpler. Just raise taxes on oil and gasoline and keep raising them over time to make sure the price continues to go up. Then allow the free market to come up with whatever alternative is deemed best.

i'm not sure you're thinking along the same line as me re: energy independence. provide more detail if you don't mind.

the free market works best when it is distorted the least. raising taxes is distortive, especially when it is done in punitive, behavior-influencing or social engineering fashion.

I find the notion that everything will just grind to a halt pretty ridiculous and alarmist. Oil is a finite resource, but between new dicsoveries, varying well lives, and better extraction technology for traditional and non-traditional methods, I have no doubt that the transition to different energy sources will not be majorly disruptive.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:49 am

AussieDodger wrote:Is there anyone with a letter for a first name that is actually honest?

T. Azimuth Schwitters...the leader of a self-help company/religion/lifestyle known as Eventualism
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:03 am

JTWood wrote:If oil really is the next strategic commodity, then a war for oil is a war for national security.

As much as I don't like it, it's the history of nations to fight wars like that.

Oil seems more like the current strategic commodity. Water is probably the next one.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk